Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English medium teaching is not always beneficial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: English medium teaching is not always beneficial Reply with quote

English medium teaching ‘not always beneficial’
EL Gazette | Dec-Jan 2018
Source: http://www.elgazette.com/

Early introduction of English medium instruction (EMI) impairs learning and limits educational attainment in low- and middle-income countries, a landmark report from the British Council has found.

The Council released its position paper on EMI to ‘prevent misconceptions arising about the British Council seeking to promote English over mother tongue,’ it says. The report says that ‘EMI at primary-school level in low- or middle-income countries is not always beneficial, nor is it a policy or practice we support.’ It adds there is little to no evidence supporting the widely held view that English medium instruction practices are a better way to attain English fluency than teaching English as a subject.

According to the report, experts say children need six to eight years to develop the cognitive and academic language proficiency needed to support learning. Introducing English medium in primary school, a common practice in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa, gives pupils too shallow a foundation in English to sustain effective learning.

The report, written by BC senior adviser John Simpson, says it would be better to opt for a mother-tongue-based multilingual education model. However, this system will be a challenge as there is a shortage of teachers who speak local languages and a lack of teaching materials in those languages. In fact, one of the reasons why EMI policies have grown is that English has been used as a single teaching language in young multilingual states, the report says.

(End of excerpt)
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the problem in many undeveloped places, question do they need English?
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an unresolved problem in the Middle East. To what extent should Englsh be used in education. Many are opposed to the wide use of English in tertiary education. KSA and UAE seem to be on divergent paths. KSA is encouraging English at college and university level. UAE is going the other way.

Last edited by scot47 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, this system will be a challenge as there is a shortage of teachers who speak local languages and a lack of teaching materials in those languages.

I don't follow the logic here. Where in the world (particularly in middle-income countries) is there a shortage of local (native) teachers? This seems to imply that native English speakers who speak local languages are necessary. Maybe I've misunderstood?
yurii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.britishcouncil.org/voices-magazine/how-effective-english-medium-instruction-emi
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder about this. To me it seems that English Only does not work if the content is too hard.

In Poland, I taught the 4 skills but the Polish teacher taught grammar and I think she used Polish in class. I think it was effective. So I think that worked.
Have reading, writing, speaking and listening in English only, but not the grammar class. It was for the CAE, so the bottom line was for students to pass.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blanket statements by the British Council that are politically motivated.

"The Council released its position paper on EMI to ‘prevent misconceptions arising about the British Council seeking to promote English over mother tongue,’..."

The position paper is meant to cover their asses in areas where their motivations are suspect (ie: promotion of BC ELT programs and profits) and in conflict with / not in furtherance of education (language or other).

It is also notable that the paper discusses EMI at the tertiary level but makes statements like ..."The report says that ‘EMI at primary-school level in low- or middle-income countries is not always beneficial,"...

In her narrow study ...
"there is little research into the impact of EMI on how much English students learn, and how much content they absorb",

"there is little research into the impact of EMI on how much English students learn, and how much content they absorb. Provision is definitely outpacing empirical research..."

the author largely ignores the wider, longitudinal body of research dating back to the early '60s and progressing to the now that look at single language immersion (EMI) and multilingual teaching methods.

mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so which writers would you prefer on EMI?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: