Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diploma translation needs authentication?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Diploma translation needs authentication? Reply with quote

One of my co-workers is in the process of renewing her visa, and says that her diploma needs to be translated and then authenticated. My diploma has already been authenticated by the Chinese embassy in New York City, but at the time, there was no translation requirement. They just directly authenticated my diploma in its original form. Can anyone confirm whether or not I have to go through everything again, this time with a translation? That would be a colossal pain in the ass.

Also, can anyone from the US confirm what criminal background check is necessary? Local, state, federal (FBI)? Does it also need to be translated and authenticated? Do you need a new one every year?
Wicked Stepmother

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am from the UK not the US, but I think in China, the same rules apply whichever your native country. No, I was not asked to translate my MA, just have it verified by a solicitor and the domestic Chinese embassy.

As for your second query, only use a solicitor with a track record in dealing with the Chinese embassy. Ask the solicitor which document is usually accepted, and go for that. But I can tell you up front, if your police document is not signed by the department which issued it, you will have to pay that solicitor to verify it before it goes to the embassy.
JamesD

Location: "As far as I'm concerned bacon comes from a magical happy place."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school's FAO should provide a simple translation of authenticated diploma to the FEB with your paperwork. Authentication of translation not required, at least here in the northeast.
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I'm confused is that our FAO let the other foreign teacher, who is going through the process right now, see the computer screen showing where the documents need to be uploaded. In Chinese, it says that documents must be translated and authenticated. The order of wording makes everything confusing. I would assume that, as my degree was already authenticated without any problems by the Chinese consulate in New York, the translation comes after the authentication, but why is it worded in reverse on the website? My FAO "guesses" we should have the translation authenticated, but considering the time and expense involved, a guess is not good enough.

This is in Xinjiang, by the way.... Not that I'm expecting to find many Xinjiang expats in the know.
Elicit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Translation came before authentication by a Chinese embassy for me. Was the same for other documents (certificates of relationship) too.

All we can do is exactly as the employer tells us and then hang on to the seat of our pants in relation to the paperwork.
hz88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The work permit application system is the same China wide.

The translation is not required to be authenticated, only the degree itself with the relevant label attached to it by the Chinese consulate.

The translation to Chinese is usually done by the person handling your application. The only instance I have come across where the translation needs to be authenticated was where the degree was in Russian. In this case it was the English translation that needed the stamp on it.

Either the FAO is being tardy or is simply unsure. Ask he/she to call the local FEB for assistance. As you say 'guessing' will not do anyone any favours.
JamesD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wawaguagua wrote:
..............In Chinese, it says that documents must be translated and authenticated............

Our FAO reads this as "The document must be translated AND the document must be authenticated. The translation is not part of the authentication, it's a separate procedure." - As hz88 notes.
This works for the FEB here.
twowheel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, this is a big issue. I am currently going through the process of gathering documents and having them notarized and then having them authenticated by a Chinese Consulate.

I mentioned this very issue as well in another post:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=117186

Good luck to all.

twowheel
JamesD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added note on reason for translation from our FAO. The translation is for the benefit of the local FEB issuing the invitation letter; not the consulate issuing the visa. Notarization of the document prior to authentication attests to its validity. This is why the translation itself does not need authentication, the FAO provides translation when she/he submits the authenticated document to the FEB.
twowheel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesD wrote:
Added note on reason for translation from our FAO. The translation is for the benefit of the local FEB issuing the invitation letter; not the consulate issuing the visa. Notarization of the document prior to authentication attests to its validity. This is why the translation itself does not need authentication, the FAO provides translation when she/he submits the authenticated document to the FEB.

JamesD,

Thanks for your input on that; I was suspecting this as well.

To further this, nowhere on the page for authentication on the Chinese consulate in New York City website does it mention having to have things translated for submission to them. It does nicely detail that I have to go to the county clerk and New York Department of State first though for their notarizations and authentications.

twowheel
JamesD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to figure that most consulate workers in an English speaking country who handle authentication for these documents would be able to read a diploma while English speakers in local government offices are more of a long shot.
twowheel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesD wrote:
You have to figure that most consulate workers in an English speaking country who handle authentication for these documents would be able to read a diploma while English speakers in local government offices are more of a long shot.

Agreed, I figured that as well.

twowheel
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesD wrote:

Yes, I also assume the translation is for the benefit of the local FEB, not the consulate, but then I also considered that the FEB might require some kind of proof of validity for the translation.
JamesD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wawaguagua wrote:
.......Yes, I also assume the translation is for the benefit of the local FEB, not the consulate, but then I also considered that the FEB might require some kind of proof of validity for the translation.

An example of how bureaucracies build their vicious cycles of paperwork and red stamps. Translation is trumped by authentication unless..............the local FEB doesn't trust authentication by the consulate.
twowheel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an authenticated copy of my diploma back from the Chinese Consulate in New York. The total process cost me $59.50. Time, though, was minimal and it was a relatively smooth process:

--Wednesday, January 10th: dropped off the copy of my diploma at my college registrar at 3pm, out at 3:10pm
--Friday, January 12th: picked up the signed and notarized copy of my diploma at 3:45pm, in and out quickly
--Tuesday, January 30th: Went to the County Clerk of New York County to authenticate copy of diploma, in at 1:00pm, out at 1:15pm with copy in hand
--Tuesday, January 30th: headed over to New York State Department of State office to then have the county clerk's authentication authenticated, in at 1:40pm, out at 1:52pm with copy in hand
--Wednesday, January 31st: entered the Chinese consulate to submit copy of diploma with all of the authentications for THEIR final authentication, in at 8:45am, out at 9:30am
--Friday, February 2nd: waited in line at Chinese consulate at 8:25am, picked up copy of diploma with final Chinese authentication, left building at 9:20am

Costs: FREE signature and notarization at my college registrar + $3.00 (cash) at New York County County Clerk office + $10.00 (money order + $1.50 for actual money order) at New York State Department of State office + $45.00 (credit card) at Chinese consulate ($25 fee + $20 2-3 day express fee).

Now...step 2, where in the world is my FBI criminal background check that I applied for through an agent on Monday, January 22nd? I am hoping that I get it any day now so I can get a move on with that being authenticated by the U.S. Department of State and then the Chinese Embassy in Washington, DC.

Warm regards,
twowheel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: