Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poll: Developing and selling courses online

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you consider writing and selling an online course?
Yes, I've already done this.
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
I'm thinking about it, but need more information before I start
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
No, it isn't for me
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Poll: Developing and selling courses online Reply with quote

How many of us are active in writing and selling courses online - either for a niche or for a wider ESL audience?

I developed an online business writing course a few years ago, but although I think the idea and contents were good, I had no idea about marketing and selling it - so it didn't do as well as it could have.

But now, with dedicated online course platforms and a huge amount of information available regarding marketing and selling, I was wondering how many other teachers are actively pursuing this as a potential income stream.

This forum could also be a good place to exchange ideas and best practice, so depending on the results of the poll, perhaps we could support each other!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Developing and selling courses online Reply with quote

Quote:
With dedicated online course platforms and a huge amount of information available regarding marketing and selling, I was wondering how many other teachers are actively pursuing this as a potential income stream.

I'm not sure how profitable it would be considering there are established companies already doing this for ESL and the broader education/learning development market. They usually have a dedicated team of eLearning curriculum designers, subject matter course writers and reviewers, assessment writers and reviewers, graphic designers, videographers and video editors, UX/UI designers, project managers, etc. There are quality checks and balances throughout the instructional design process. Additionally, they often offer a free trial period for their courses. (I worked as a contractor for such a company.)

That said... For everyone (in general), what components did your online business course entail? How many lessons or modules did it include? Was the content developed using eLearning authoring tools (e.g., Articulate Storyline, Adobe Captivate, Trivantis Lectora, ...) and easily customizable for different learning management systems? What knowledge and tech skills were you required to use to design and develop your course? Did it include a facilitator's guide? Was it also vetted by actual end users (teachers and learners)? Did you market it via an ePortfolio? Lots of consider if you want to compete in the online learning market.

Additionally, see the following resources and discussions:
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone would ever want to design their own online course if they felt they had to go through so many layers and processes as you outline. I was thinking about much smaller and shorter courses in scope, where you address a particular need or problem and put up lessons (in various formats - text / audio / video, etc) for students - not for other teachers to teach.

Quite a few teachers have their own YT channels, so know at least the basics of editing. Many record using their own phones, too.

The course I developed a few years ago was before the advent of MOOCs, by the way. I got some nice feedback from my students, but in terms of development time, it was definitely not profitable. From what I've seen of other course platforms (Udemy / Teachable, etc) it's a lot easier and quicker to put learning materials online nowadays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: