Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuzhou Living

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geosmiley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Fuzhou Living Reply with quote

If anyone has experience living in Fuzhou please let me know your impressions. My concern is that westerners may still be a novelty there with the locals. Cheers!
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try 'off topic'
geosmiley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Fuzhou Living Reply with quote

Thanks, but I'm not going there to take the waters. Perhaps i should have added. "...living and working..."
Modernist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't live there but I wasn't far off. I've been there a number of times.

OF COURSE westerners are a novelty to the locals. The list of non-Tier 1 cities in China where that isn't the case is pretty short. Suzhou, Hangzhou, Xi'an, Chengdu, maybe Dalian, Kunming...not many. Fuzhou, capital or not, suffers quite a bit in comparison to its glamorous southern neighbor and rival, Xiamen, which is also one of the few places where western faces are more common.

It has a large number of universities because of the capital status, and it's wealthier than the inland capitals, but realistically that doesn't matter much to your day-to-day. English levels aren't good, foreign foods are rare (they had a great Calimex style taco joint tucked into a random apartment complex though, that was nice). Shopping is whatever. It's a huge mess of Chinese branded junk near the river that I can't imagine any foreigner would have any interest in visiting more than once. The river itself is not so bad. It's no Ningbo or Tianjin but it's nice to walk it if the humidity isn't killing you that day.

The only attraction of note is the Three Lanes and Five Alleys or whatever it is, which is an old Ming area that for some reason wasn't demolished like everything else. It's nice once or twice, and after that you wouldn't go back. The Metro is decent. The in-city train station has a good location but the routing south isn't consistent. The East station is absurdly far away from anything. If the job is anywhere close to that, don't do it.

As far as I know, any Chinese would pick Xiamen any day compared to Fuzhou. Having been to both, so would I. There's really no reason to live in Fuzhou. It's another nothing Chinese provincial capital, like Nanning, Nanchang, Hefei, Changsha, Guiyang, etc. You could hardly tell the difference between any of them (and I know, as I've been to all of them). These places have to exist for practical reasons but they will never be places of choice for anyone except natives, if you ask me. Certainly not for foreigners.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having visited regularly as an IELTS examiner I found Fuzhou to be drab and dull, also chaotic.

We did find a good Mexican restaurant nearish to the Wanda Plaza, and some cool bars nearby.

Another redeeming factor are the nearby mountains, which can be climbed, and its proximity to Xiamen, which is where you really want to be at (although its become crowded in recent years).
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent some time in Fuzhou.

Yes, you will be a novelty there. Nothing particularly bad, just the typical staring, pointing, and xenophobia of most Chinese 2nd tier cities.

Similar to above, you could drop me in the middle of Fuzhou, and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it, and a hundred other mediocre Chinese cities.

Three lanes and seven alleys. I was there while the original buildings were being torn down and replaced by "new and improved" replicas and souvenir shops. It is a shame that China still doesn't seem to value its own history.

Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerwilco wrote:
Yes, you will be a novelty there. Nothing particularly bad, just the typical staring, pointing, and xenophobia of most Chinese 2nd tier cities.

Xenophobia of most 2nd tier cities is an unhelpful and inaccurate blanket statement. You might arouse curiosity, some people will stare, local people may not understand what you're saying, they may even giggle when saying "hello" to you, but I've never felt intense dislike and fear of foreigners anytime I've traveled in this country. My experience where I live and where I've traveled? A very small number of negative interactions versus hundreds of positive ones.

Lots of Chinese cities are drab and dull, that I can agree with, but in large part that's because they've had to accommodate a massive urban influx of nearly 500 million people since Deng's "Opening Up." Thinking outside the box, there are differences if one cares to look. Food, language, and what's outside the cities, namely scenic spots, come to mind. These are points that might be of interest to someone considering a place to live.
geosmiley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Fuzhou Living Reply with quote

Please keep the political correctness out of this, especially if you haven't lived and/or worked in or around Fuzhou.

Thanks to those of you who have taken the time to respond with your relevant experience.
The bear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blistering Zanazilz wrote:

Xenophobia of most 2nd tier cities is an unhelpful and inaccurate blanket statement. You might arouse curiosity, some people will stare, local people may not understand what you're saying, they may even giggle when saying "hello" to you, but I've never felt intense dislike and fear of foreigners anytime I've traveled in this country. My experience where I live and where I've traveled? A very small number of negative interactions versus hundreds of positive ones.

While I agree xenophobia is a little dramatic for the every day life of a foreign teacher in China, there's definitely an undercurrent of 'not being one of us' which perpetuates life. Yes, some people will stare - but this has many reasons, not just simple curiosity. Some people may giggle as they say 'hello', but not to you, at you. The number of times I've had people say 'hello' at me, in a mocking way to impress their friends, is too much. It's akin to being at a zoo. Not a nice feeling. And that's just interactions with people, interactions with the 'system' are possibly more annoying. Even though my Chinese is reasonable, being humble here, the amount of times I've been told 'it can't be done' or similar just because I have a foreign face is exasperating.

My point is that you're less likely to meet these if you're in a 1st tier city. Foreigners have a much greater presence there, it makes sense that things are smoother because people are used to doing things involving foreigners. Something worth considering.'

Blistering Zanazilz wrote:

Lots of Chinese cities are drab and dull, that I can agree with, but in large part that's because they've had to accommodate a massive urban influx of nearly 500 million people since Deng's "Opening Up." Thinking outside the box, there are differences if one cares to look. Food, language, and what's outside the cities, namely scenic spots, come to mind. These are points that might be of interest to someone considering a place to live.

It's a common observation that Chinese cities all look the same. For the most part I'd agree. Especially those that aren't BJ, SH, SZ, GZ.

The differences you mention aren't important to living in China though. Food - you can find any type of cuisine anywhere you look. Even in small towns there will be different regional restaurants. I've travelled all over China, trust me, jiaozi will always be jiaozi, hongshaorou is always hongshaorou, you get the idea. Language? Unless , for some specific reason, you want to study a minority language or dialect within China, you'll be able to get by with Mandarin. Scenic spots, sure. You can't really move mountains or rivers. But how important is it for a teacher to be next to huangshan?

My point is, the job being equal, there's very little difference between, say, Wuhan, Changsha, Chengdu, Zhengzhou etc.

What is a big difference, however, is climate.
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Anyone going to a society that still grapples with the sight of newcomers needs to grow a thicker skin. I still see people in this city who likely haven't seen a foreigner before, and I get a few stares and giggles, but so what? If that's the kind of thing that gets to you're not going to make it here, or you're going to be angry 24/7. 2. My language comment wasn't related to learning minority languages. Many parts of China use the local dialect almost exclusively, and while the locals may speak Putonghua it's often not at a very high level. Or the sounds are very different from what one might be used to from previous experience. 3. I couldn't care less if I'm next to Huangshan, but I do want to be in an area where there might be something even remotely interesting or scenic considering I have plenty of free time to burn off. My first two years in China were in Chengdu, and from what I've seen there's a world of difference between there and a place like Zhengzhou or Changsha. These points may not be important to you, but to others they might be.

Just sharing my opinion.
rioux

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzhou used to have a Carl's Jr. as well as a Papa John's but now they are both gone.

A good portion of the ladies there are as cute as dolls.
geosmiley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Fuzhou Living Reply with quote

In favor of Fuzhou is clean air, cheap rent, good uni job but to its detriment there are gaping locals. I agree, Xiamen is a much better choice socially but it also comes with a hefty increase in the cost of living and has very few uni jobs comparatively. I've decided to look a little further, time is still on my side. Anyone who has studied Asian cultures knows the true meaning of staring and what's behind the childish hello!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: