Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M.A. Degree, with translation, notarized by China Consulate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: M.A. Degree, with translation, notarized by China Consulate Reply with quote

Hello

For those people applying for a new Z Visa - how does one obtain the notarization of an M.A. degree - with added translation into Chinese?

In this case, a Canadian national obtained his M.A. degree from a U.S. University.

Information does not seem to be clear on this procedure. The Chinese Embassy in Manila was contacted by phone and email, with no response result, so am not hopeful of being able to do this procedure in the Philippines, although it would be a lot more convenient compared to having to go back to the home country.

Lastly, has anyone here done the Z Visa process from the Philippines? Any agents here?

Thank you.

Ghost in the Philippines
dakelei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They call it "authentication." I just did it for my BS Ed and it was a real hassle. I don't think you'll be able to do it in the Philippines.

By the way, why do you always refer to yourself in the third person?
Modernist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the degree cannot be authenticated anywhere but in the country of its issue. I don't even think you (or 'he') could do it in Canada. A US degree would need to be authenticated at the Chinese consulate responsible for the part of the US where the school is located (Chicago, Houston, New York, SF, whatever).

It is a pain. You need to physically take it in there once it has a notarization from the state. Then they will apply some little sticker to it that says 'China Authentication.' You can pay agents to do it for you, but you'll need to send them the degree and wait for it. It costs quite a bit, probably several hundred USD at least, if you can't or won't go there yourself.

Chinese embassy in Manila will do nothing whatsoever for you. That's a waste of time.

If you need a new Z and can't or won't go back to the home country, best bet is Hong Kong. They will issue them there even if the Web site says they won't. I highly doubt any non-Filipino would be issued any kind of Chinese visa, especially a work visa, in the Philippines. Any 'agent' who claims otherwise is likely lying.
Elicit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to do degree authentication in China for about $50. All those Chinese students returning from overseas study need to get their degree recognized by the authorities here if an employer requests it. Has worked for changing jobs, and the only difficulties on a tourist visa, that I can see, would be an address in China, a union pay card and time. Not insurmountable problems perhaps.

Cannot post details for anonymity reasons but if you’re looking for an alternate route than returning to country of origin/degree welcome to PM for details.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone wondering, NY will authenticate documents from any state. I think Nevada will also.
twowheel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious about the "translation" part. What exactly does this entail? Before or after submitting it to Chinese Consulate or Embassy?

My potential workplace in China did fill me in that I need things translated; however, I am under the impression that the translation part is needed by my potential place of work in China but not beforehand when I submit authenticated materials to the Consulate.

twowheel
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I did not need anything translated several months ago when going through the process.
Elicit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twowheel wrote:
I am curious about the "translation" part. What exactly does this entail? Before or after submitting it to Chinese Consulate or Embassy?

My potential workplace in China did fill me in that I need things translated; however, I am under the impression that the translation part is needed by my potential place of work in China but not beforehand when I submit authenticated materials to the Consulate.

twowheel

For me, translation was done after notarisation and legalisation but before the Chinese embassy got their hands on the document. There may be an ‘approved’ translation company list that the embassy ‘recommends’. Best to check with the embassy concerned to be sure on this last point though.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the translation aspect was done away with several months ago at the national level. The regional jurisdiction may be requesting it, but the much more likelihood is that they are not aware of this.

I was living in Cebu back in 2014 when this entire new process got started. I had an acquaintance who tried to get it done from there. He wasn't very rich to start out with. He literally went broke and indebted to his sister trying to get it done over the course of several fruitless months. I begged him from the start to cut his losses and walk away from the 5,500RMB monthly position. Yet once people get dragged into a process with a little time and money, most just can't cut their losses and get dragged in deeper and deeper.

I really don't know if he ever got it. I stopped by the hostel where he had a dorm bed and he had taken off in the middle of the night owing them for two months. Although the owner knew about it, he blamed the employees and took it out of their paychecks. The girl at the desk during the day was crying about it.

It's a tough country to get the simplest of tasks completed, couple that with the visa process, and it will be a battle.

Jim in Armenia
twowheel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be working with the Chinese Consulate in New York. I checked their website detailing, pretty well, the steps of the whole authentication process. Nothing was mentioned on the Consulate website about having to get things translated; I keep my fingers crossed that this is indeed true and I won't have to get things translated.

Yeah, getting things done in this process isn't cheap. In an ideal world, one would be staying with someone in the city where the Embassy or Consulate is located. I had a buddy who lived at home in DC so he could easily get his stuff done throughout the capital to get his Z-visa.

I am taking care of business in New York City as my home state is in the New York consular district. Also, my degree is from a university in New York City.

Getting things notarized in the United States can be cheap or even free. I always wonder when I hear people from other countries complaining about expensive notarization fees in their home countries; I am very happy that I don't have to deal with expensive notarization fees. Traveling around will cost enough.
ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: no dice in the Philippines Reply with quote

Waste of time getting anything done in Manila, they will only help Pinoys.

Question for Two Wheel. For a Canadian with an M.A. from a U.S. University, where should the Canadian get this M.A. degree authenticated? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question. The Canadian also has residence papers in France (meaning she/he is a legal resident of France). This new process seems to be complex and onerous, and even the relevant FAO's don't seem to have any idea how to go about the process. Time is racing toward that March 1 starting date for most contracts.....

Ghost in the Philippines
twowheel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: no dice in the Philippines Reply with quote

ghost wrote:
For a Canadian with an M.A. from a U.S. University, where should the Canadian get this M.A. degree authenticated? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question. The Canadian also has residence papers in France (meaning she/he is a legal resident of France).

My suggestion is to check the website of either the Embassy (Ottawa) or one of the consulates (Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, or Montreal), whichever one is closest to one's Canadian place of residence. The respective website should have a detailed page on what to do regarding authentication of documents.

twowheel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: