Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can foreigners buy condos?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie123

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject: Can foreigners buy condos? Reply with quote

I have been getting this popup a lot lately:

http://properties.almouj.com/marsa.html?utm_source=GDN&utm_medium=Oman&utm_campaign=Marsa%20Properties&utm_content=300X250-EN&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqsiRueDJ2AIV1o0bCh2BywaXEAEYASAAEgIDbfD_BwE

Nice condos obviously being marketed to westerners.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they come with a residence visa. That was the catch with the properties in Dubai. People who used their housing allowance to buy found out that they were basically out of luck if they lost their job. Many lost big bucks when they were forced to leave the country.

$330,000 is a tad pricey for the average TEFLer. LOL

VS
Charlie123

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

$330,000 is a tad pricey for the average TEFLer. LOL

VS

A tad...but there are condos in other locations that are much less. It's the visa thing.
BellaBelle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I believe you get automatic residency in Oman. I know they come with a high cost and they are in designated areas such as "The Wave". I believe they are opening up more as of lately to boost the market and they are of a lower cost.

I'd love to have permanent status there. Ah, a girl can dream.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I wonder if they come with a residence visa. That was the catch with the properties in Dubai. People who used their housing allowance to buy found out that they were basically out of luck if they lost their job. Many lost big bucks when they were forced to leave the country.

VS

Surely, they could live or reside in their property or even rent it out. However, the property would not give them a work visa or status. Or am I wrong? Typical of Dubai and the UAE: legality as thick as mud, and as fluid as a lava flow.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thailand has what is known as a retirement visa. If you put approximately $23,000 in a Thai bank account, you may stay indefinitely. It is not a work visa, though. I would be happy with an arrangement like that in Oman.
BellaBelle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen condos for sale for $90,000 USD in Oman. That's doable. I think the bank will give you a loan plus you can rent it out. I am curious to know if you can work on a residency visa too.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:

VS

Surely, they could live or reside in their property or even rent it out. However, the property would not give them a work visa or status. Or am I wrong? Typical of Dubai and the UAE: legality as thick as mud, and as fluid as a lava flow.

They couldn't live in their property because the residency visa that went with their employment was cancelled. Thus they had no legal right to stay. Renting when you are not in the country can be very problematic even in your home country. Your legal rights against any tenants would be an issue in the Gulf.

Also, the country over built so most of the teachers that this happened to had way overpaid for their units... thus they lost their shirts when they were forced to sell.

VS
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owners get a visa which gives them resident status but it is not a work visa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: