Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King Saud Uni: Married status contracts/ passport policy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polyanna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: King Saud Uni: Married status contracts/ passport policy Reply with quote

What does a married status contract mean, and what policies exist regarding passports? Read that this uni keeps passports until one wants to travel Sad This could be a serious dealbreaker for me! My agent assures that this practice is against the law now, but I'm still mistrustful about this. I would also like more info regarding the actual teaching situation ( hours, curriculum etc). Finally, what's daily life in the kingdom like for a woman unaccompanied by spouse ?[size=9][/size]
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter if the university keeps your passport. The passport in of itself will not allow you to exit the country. Besides it's quite easy to get another from your embassy in Riyadh. To exit Saudi Arabia, your employer has to OK and obtain an exit visa from the authorities. If you arrive on an employment visa, leaving Saudi Arabia is still at the whim of your employers, even if you possess your passport. As I mentioned above it is quite easy to obtain a new passport in a few days from your embassy but that's not enough to exit the country.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polyanna wrote:
What policies exist regarding passports? Read that this uni keeps passports until one wants to travel Sad This could be a serious dealbreaker for me! My agent assures that this practice is against the law now, but I'm still mistrustful about this. I would also like more info regarding the actual teaching situation ( hours, curriculum etc).

Which contracting company is this for? (KSU outsources its EFL teacher staffing needs to ICEAT, Al Hussan.) There haven't been any recent posts in this forum that either company holds passports.

No one can tell you about hours, curriculum, and such since you haven't stated which company your contract would be with. Frankly, these are questions to ask during interviews as well as research on this board.

and wrote:
What does a married status contract mean?
Finally, what's daily life in the kingdom like for a woman unaccompanied by spouse ?

"Married status" generally means the employer also welcomes male teachers who want to bring a spouse and dependents. You're female (and I assume unmarried), so this doesn't apply to you.

Your question about the "daily life" for single expat females is quite broad. But basically, life isn't as restrictive as you likely think, especially if you're targeting major cities like Jeddah, Riyadh, Dammam... (I was in Jeddah and did just fine as a single woman.) Besides, times are changing in the kingdom (e.g., women will be allowed to drive effective this year, women can attend public sporting events, cinemas are opening, etc.).

Anyway, only you know your personal wants/needs, likes/dislikes, and cultural limits. There's plenty of current info on the Net about KSA. Also check out this forum to see if the kingdom is manageable for you.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have emailed the recruiter with these questions, so here's a few guesses.

Curriculum; English Preparatory Year Program including speaking, reading, writing and listening. Levels from beginner to intermediate.
Hours; usually 20 contact hours per week, ranging from an 8:00am start to around 3:30pm finish.
Passport; if they want to keep it you can ask for it when you need it, or just refuse to hand it over and see what they say. The practice has been outlawed so you'll likely be able to keep it. Or just 'forget' to bring it to them.
Female Life; that's really up to the individual - some like it and others hate it.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some employers will let you have a multiple exit visa and keep the passport. Most will not agree to this. A passport with no exit visa will not let you leave the Kingdom legally.

Why do you want to have a passport when you cannot use it to leave ?
desert_traveller

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since a few years back for employers to hold passports has been illegal and they are actually mandated to return passports to employees ASAP after processing iqamas etc

any employer not falling in line is an employer best to avoid

i am aware withholding passports and not granting multi exit/re-entry visas was quite the norm a while ago but as much as i am aware now the vast majority of expat english teachers happily frolick around with passports in hand and multi visas

stay away from employers that will not let you keep your passport or give you a multi visa whenever you wish, or try to convince you this is the norm in 2018 - they are the worst ones and only desperate ones in a financial crisis should consider working for them

also ignore posters who say this is normal - they must have left the ksa a long time ago, things change way too fast for someone who has left the country to have any authority to say anything here

i remember an article in arabnews a few years back, a saudi government propaganda outlet by all means, that stated all the above very clearly - you can google it if you like
MixtecaMike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of idle curiosity, anyone working for the RC Jubail could comment if they still hold passports? When it became law to hand back passports, my colleague T. was told by the HR man that laws like that didn't apply to the RC. Confused
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MixtecaMike wrote:
Just out of idle curiosity, anyone working for the RC Jubail could comment if they still hold passports?

You might start a separate thread since this one is specific to KSU.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: