Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Academy School of English, Diyarbakir

View previous topic :: View next topic  
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Academy School of English, Diyarbakir Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I hope all is good with you all and everybody had a nice, stress-free Christmas.

Okay, back to the topic. Please, does anybody have any current information on a school in Diyarbakir called the Academy School of English and with the Director, Kemal Sevinc? I've had a look at some posts regarding the city, but most of them are old, so any new information would be great, particularly about the school.

Any info, would be greatly appreciated, and wishing you all, all the best for 2018.
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Well, Guys, just an update.

I got an email, with an attachment, off the Director with information regarding the position.

It was 26 hours a week, which would have been fine for me and he said that he would try to timetable block lessons. Again, this would have been good as I do not do split shifts.

Now, here's the 'off-putter'.

Teachers were required to attend weekly meetings of which no extra pay would be paid.
They provide a flat and pay the rent and bills, but sharing with another teacher.
Saturdays are compulsory, so it would have worked out to a six-day working week.

I wrote a polite email back to the Director informing that I don't attend any work-related activities without getting paid, share flats or work weekends. Needless to say I didn't hear anything back from him, so that told me everything I needed to know.

In all honesty, for what they were paying, did not exactly coincide with what they were asking.

I hope that helps.
Londonlover

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are applying to a language school in Turkey. If language schools provide accommodation at all, then it is highly likely that it will be shared (and also, not free). There are quite a few of the run of the mill schools that expect a six-day working week now. Better to avoid these.
You would have better luck, looking at EFL teaching in the university sector.
Incidentally, that school in Diyarbakir you applied to has had negative reviews anyway, over the years on Daves.
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Londonlover.

Free, or not, I don't do sharing. I did it once when I worked in Russia for a year. I shared a school flat with another Brit, who was a real mummy's boy, and had to be told everything, especially with sharing responsibilities for cleaning the place. After that, if the school offers a flat, it has to be just me. I would rather pay to be on my own rather than share a free flat that belongs to the school.

Yes, I saw the negative reviews on here about that school, Londonlover. To be honest, I didn't really need them to make up my mind. His expectations and requirements were enough for me to do that, especially for the kind of money he was paying - 1,000 - 1,300 dollars a month.

All the best.
jamessmart50

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at this school many years ago and it was a terrible experience, you should definitely steer well clear
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamessmart, many thanks for the input.

He's advertising again. Twice in the space of 6 months.

Says it all, doesn't it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: