Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL as a Career in a Decade
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
One day, though probably not in my life time, someone will figure out a viable brain / machine interface and knowledge and skills will become implantable or programmable. Then teaching as a mass product will be all but obsolete. In the meantime, bring on the robots!

At that point anyone with a real brain will know how to program the lessers to be their slaves. See how it works, programed at birth. This has been an ongoing project admitted in documents of several countries (mainly using drugs to control people).

But, to the point of teaching, AI can get really good, however, it will teach AI English. It will also be susceptible to virus attacks. My last point is that English would die as AI would teach its own language instead. AI is programmed to be a slave, it therefore would teach to be a slave.
creeper1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

litterascriptor wrote:
I for one look forward to watching some of my young learners mauling whatever poor robot they stick in front of them. I will remember to make some popcorn for the event.

You are not getting the point at all.

Those kids (when adults) will speak Chinese into a translation device and get immediate English speech.

Their parents will be aware of the technology and have less enthusiasm for paying exorbitant school fees because there’s absolutely no benefit to speaking English.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will only work if education institutions accept robotic translations in their entrance requirements. Kind of like suicide, and very unlikely.
twowheel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowwhatiamtalkingabout wrote:
Get your qualifications in order, take development opportunities when they come up, and be decent at what you do. Then there'll always be work. Relax and enjoy your tefl. It's a good life.

Seconded.

I agree, for those who continue to add credentials and stay active in the field through professional development, participation in conferences, and the like...I also assert that those people should be fine job-wise.

twowheel
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody seems to have missed the point. They think that teaching EFL is all about "English". It is not. Teaching is about nurturing and developing a learner to be able to use a skill or acquire and USE knowledge.

While older learners may look for the "translation device" children will always need that human contact, that "teacher". Until human nature changes, that need won't change and decent teachers will always be employed.

We are a long way from the Star Trek universal translator.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: