Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing Mind After Contract Signed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shookran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Changing Mind After Contract Signed Reply with quote

No, I haven't done this but it would be useful to know about any possible consequences.

Scenario: I accept a Saudi job offer and sign and return the contract. Before setting out to Saudi from my home country I see a dream job advertised in my home country, I apply and get the job. I have changed my mind about the Saudi job. Are there any legal ramifications for me for changing my mind about the overseas contract I have signed?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Only moral concerns.
hash

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Mind After Contract Signed Reply with quote

Shookran wrote:
Scenario: I accept a Saudi job offer and sign and return the contract. I have changed my mind about the Saudi job. Are there any legal ramifications ?

No KSA contract for an English teacher that I have ever seen has included a "penalty" clause covering a "no-show" scenario for a contractee.

It's important to remember that these "contracts" are not contracts in the legal sense of the word.....they have no legal standing in the USA (and undoubtedly the UK). In fact, they are more "Letters of Agreement" , if they are even that. Their provisions are simply unenforceable.

They may have a more solid, "legal" standing in KSA (if you are there), but as we all know, what's in the "contract" even in KSA is frequently simply ignored or changed on a whim, no questions allowed.

There may, however, be "consequences" of a different kind in the future you should be aware of.

See the below very recent posting on page 2 entitled "SENDING MONEY OUT etc" beginning with TTXOR1's post

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=115238

Apparently, YTTXOR1 applied for a KSA job with a passport he had previously used to apply for a job years back which had all kinds of official notations on it including, I believe, an actual entry visa....a job he bailed out of at the last minute.

Subsequently, years later, HE WAS UNABLE TO GET THE NEW KSA JOB BECAUSE THESE NOTATIONS WERE ON HIS PP. He could have avoided all this and be happily in ArAr plying away had he taken the trouble to obtain a new PP before applying for the new job.

BOTTOM LINE - Get a new PP if you've ever applied for a KSA job which you accepted but then bailed out of at the last moment.

Shookran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@hash: and by 'PP' do we mean passport? Actually I think the example cited was at quite an advanced stage with an entry visa stamped in it. I mean at the stage where you've just sent scans of your current passport to apply for and accept a job, but haven't yet gone to the Saudi embassy etc. If you bail out, can/do the Saudi authorities still record your bail-out behaviour? Excellent advice though, and thanks.
hash

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you're cherry picking now and adding details and emphases to your hypothetical that weren't there in the original.

In your original, not only did you "...accept...and sign and return the contract" but you ended with a conclusive"Before setting out to Saudi from my home country...". To me, that sounds like all the paperwork had been taken care of.

The problem here is not what I think you said or what you did mean......the problem is that no one knows how far your "application" which includes your passport (or a copy of it) has actually gone within the byzantine KSA system.

Almost certainly, by the time you've signed your contract, "some" Saudi "official" has already at least "SEEN" your passport and has retained a copy. After all, even in the early stages of an application, the majority of KSA jobs require the applicant to submit a digital copy of the ID pages of his passport. Once that happens, your passport is forever "compromised".

And once that happens, the ball is no longer in your court. You cannot know if the employer has sent a copy of your passport to the Ministry of the Interior, or to the KSA consulate in your country. The point is, your passport is in the system. You cannot know if the employer has already asked to have your passport details affixed to a "block entry visa" etc.

My point? You don't necessarily have to have something written on your actual passport for it to have become "vulnerable" and "compromised". You may be lucky and somehow avoid detection in the future.......but you just don't know.

Just get a new passport. Then any problems you might face applying for a job in KSA in the future will be greatly minimized.

Shookran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are absolutely right. Your insight into this side of the job recruitment process is very useful food for thought. Passports are usually only discussed on the subject of employers keeping your passports, which is unlawful, I know.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Scenario: I accept a Saudi job offer and sign and return the contract. Before setting out to Saudi from my home country I see a dream job advertised in my home country, I apply and get the job. I have changed my mind about the Saudi job. Are there any legal ramifications for me for changing my mind about the overseas contract I have signed?

If you were to land your so-called dream job in your home country, why even bother pursuing future work in Saudi Arabia? Confused
Shookran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

If you were to land your so-called dream job in your home country, why even bother pursuing future work in Saudi Arabia? Confused

I'm honoured nomad. I said a dream job, not my dream job. A dream job is cognate with a really good job.
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother considering the feelings of those that ignore decent treatment of others? The KSA for the most part doesn't care about any decency on your part.
siologen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: re: very true Reply with quote

Quote:
Why bother considering the feelings of those that ignore decent treatment of others? The KSA for the most part doesn't care about any decency on your part.

The same thing with doing a midnight run from Bahrain (I know I mentioned the place beginning with B again!) and not going back to the kingdom because one has had a gutful of being treated badly or whatever, ain't nothing but a chicken wing to paraphrase a yankee saying!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: re: very true Reply with quote

siologen wrote:
...ain't nothing but a chicken wing to paraphrase a yankee saying!

Obviously part of someone's idiolect... lived all around the US and never heard it before. But one does get the gist. LOL

VS
siologen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: re: correct Reply with quote

The film I saw it in had some characters based in New York, so I don't know if it is part of local usage there.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds more like something from rural Mississippi. Since it was a movie, it likely exists nowhere but the mind of the film makers/writers. Laughing

VS
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: chicken wing ain't nothing but Reply with quote

Ain't no thing but a chicken wing
Used to describe an event, object or person which is of little importance. Stems from the fact that chickens (at least those bred as food) have wings but can't fly, rendering the wings unimportant. Can be used in place of a reassuring "don't worry about it" statement but often used as a sarcastic retort suggesting that which is being described is really not as important as the person saying it believes
Dave: Man I can't beleive I have to work on Saturday
Steve: Hey man, it ain't no thing but a chicken wing

from Urban Dictionary

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ain%27t%20no%20thing%20but%20a%20chicken%20wing
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rap lyrics are not a part of my language...

VS
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: