Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British Council Teachers - myclass?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: British Council Teachers - myclass? Reply with quote

Hello. Any BC teachers out there from myclass centres?

Anyone care to offer their views on the myclass system both from the perspective of the teacher and on its usefulness for students?
bograt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex BC here. It's popular with students because of the flexible booking system and communicative lessons, with emphasis on speaking. I'd say less popular with teachers who have to manage classroom dynamics afresh with each new class and get sick of the repetitive structure of the lessons.
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bograt wrote:
Ex BC here. It's popular with students because of the flexible booking system and communicative lessons, with emphasis on speaking. I'd say less popular with teachers who have to manage classroom dynamics afresh with each new class and get sick of the repetitive structure of the lessons.

Thanks for the reply.

It does seem to be quite a strange system to me. It seems to be the opposite of everything we are trained to do in terms of rapport building and knowing our learners etc.

I've worked for the BC, but not in myclass settings. I'd be interested to see how it actually performs against the BC's other General English offerings in terms of student satisfaction and cash generation.

The BC seem keen on rolling it out in as many places as possible. Happily, it seems a number of BCs are standing up for themselves and saying no.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taught it.

As a teacher, there are good points and bad points. I'd say that it reduces the teacher's workload compared to a normal course, because you're not responsible for giving any homework or doing any marking (although there is a lot of printing involved). It puts most of the responsibility for progress on the students, and I guess the fact that they only study the language points that they think are relevant to them could be considered a good thing, but it relies on students being quite aware of their own needs.

The materials are a bit hit and miss and the audio recordings are not typically up to the standards of some of the newer course books by the big publishers. The main problem is the fact that you never get to build a relationship with a class. They are kind of getting tailored input in the sense that they are choosing the classes they go to based on their own needs, but they're never going to get that "right, I've heard you have a problem with this aspect of English, I'm going to prepare a lesson about that" that you get with a traditional course. There's also not a lot of room for creativity. You can't go into a class and say, "I thought you'd like this story/video" because they've signed up to study a particular aspect of language. I would guess that for most of us, the part of the job we enjoy the most is either creating interesting lessons, or the relationships we build with people, and myclass isn't great for either of those things.

Having said all of that, as someone who's tried to sign up to courses at language schools and found nothing that fit into my schedule, I would like the flexibility of myclass. But then as a language teacher, I work obscure hours. I don't know if the appeal is that great for people who already have evenings and weekends free.
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With Stupid wrote:
I've taught it.

As a teacher, there are good points and bad points. I'd say that it reduces the teacher's workload compared to a normal course, because you're not responsible for giving any homework or doing any marking (although there is a lot of printing involved). It puts most of the responsibility for progress on the students, and I guess the fact that they only study the language points that they think are relevant to them could be considered a good thing, but it relies on students being quite aware of their own needs.

The materials are a bit hit and miss and the audio recordings are not typically up to the standards of some of the newer course books by the big publishers. The main problem is the fact that you never get to build a relationship with a class. They are kind of getting tailored input in the sense that they are choosing the classes they go to based on their own needs, but they're never going to get that "right, I've heard you have a problem with this aspect of English, I'm going to prepare a lesson about that" that you get with a traditional course. There's also not a lot of room for creativity. You can't go into a class and say, "I thought you'd like this story/video" because they've signed up to study a particular aspect of language. I would guess that for most of us, the part of the job we enjoy the most is either creating interesting lessons, or the relationships we build with people, and myclass isn't great for either of those things.

Having said all of that, as someone who's tried to sign up to courses at language schools and found nothing that fit into my schedule, I would like the flexibility of myclass. But then as a language teacher, I work obscure hours. I don't know if the appeal is that great for people who already have evenings and weekends free.

Nice one. Thanks for the reply.

I think the rapport aspect and knowing the students' strengths and weaknesses would be the biggest things for me. It must get a bit dull just churning out generic lessons. No marking sounds good though.

I've had similar problems signing up for language classes myself, so I can see the appeal there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: