Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

InterPress – International House in Almaty, Kazakhstan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nnest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: InterPress – International House in Almaty, Kazakhstan Reply with quote

Has anyone worked at IH Almaty? Why is it that the place is literally *always* hiring? The salary isn't too horrible for the region, considering the accommodation is provided by the school. It can't be just the country, I feel like there must be something really unpleasant about the company too. Anyone have anything to share?
praguecity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a lot of people that worked there, but I never did. No one truly said anything bad about it or had any major issues, but it's one of those companies that teachers leave after they complete their contract and they are just used to looking for replacements.

A while back they were looking for teachers for exam preparation for a special government project. From the ad it seemed they needed them urgently, I had the qualifications and I applied. What I noticed after I applied is that they were very much indifferent whether I took the job or not. It might be just their work culture or HR, but I realized that they did not seem so desperate to hire someone.
nnest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, praguecity! Can't believe I'm actually considering Kazakhstan but if they pay what they promise and provide housing, that would be a better deal than what I can get here in Vietnam. Hope I can stand the climate.
juriusz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The winter should be over shortly (a month maybe), the weather should not be your biggest concern. I am in Kazakhstan but I don't know much about Interpress Almaty. I can tell you that Almaty is better for living than Astana. My guess is that the job requires evening classes and if you end up with a bad schedule, you may have to spend time waiting or commuting (I heard that about Interpress Astana). I think that they have western style management which should be more efficient that local. They use proper books so it shouldn't be too difficult to follow their syllabus. They are IH in disguise, so if you are familiar with International House schools, you know what to expect.
praguecity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nnest, I would not worry about the salary too much. From everyone I have talked to, no one mentioned any problems with the salary being less than promised or late or anything like that. The only advice that I would give regarding the salary (and this was a while back, but it could happen again) is about the currency devaluation (just like in Russia). So, if you plan to save most of the money, I would exchange it to USD, EURO, etc. when keeping it in the bank.
kazpat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that the relevant ministry started enforcing the teaching degree requirement and that IH has lost all of their native speakers. (CELTA / DELTA) doesn't count...
praguecity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kazpat, I just looked at their ad again and it does state "CELTA AND a university degree in teaching English." I never saw that requirement before. It's very interesting! In my years of experience I met only one expat with an actual English degree and CELTA. How are they going to find them? Strange! I guess because they do a lot of government projects they must have teachers with an actual degree in English.
kazpat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, all expats left IH. In KZ, teachers get diplomas in their subject, for example, teacher of math, biology, English, etc. Therefore, that is the actual requirement for teachers per the law. I do not even think a BA in English technically satisfies the requirement, since they do not get any training in pedagogy. What has happened for years is that visas are approved for expat "tutors of English" not actual teachers. In addition, visas are now approved at the oblast level, not national, so this may not be uniform across the country. I say this because someone may post, "I am a BA plus CELTA holder and am working in Astana!"

I have an education degree, am licensed in ESL my home state, but not sure I would meet the IH requirement as stated. My primary role for several years has been admin so have not been through the English teacher visa process lately.

I think this will be worked out somehow, there is a massive effort at the governmental level at getting teachers as well as students to teach and learn content in English. Expat teachers are vital to this role and finding teachers is difficult enough, nevermind BA in TESOL holders. I hope it does get solved, because Kazakhstan is a great place to work and the students are wonderful.
Jeff19

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nnest wrote:
Thanks, praguecity! Can't believe I'm actually considering Kazakhstan but if they pay what they promise and provide housing, that would be a better deal than what I can get here in Vietnam. Hope I can stand the climate.

What is the salary? They don't seem to mention it on the website.
praguecity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have the monthly salary range listed as 350,000 to 500,000 KZT. As of March 2018, this would be equivalent to $1090 to $1500 per month.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: