Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do You Think Japan is a Poor Country?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_Beer_Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Do You Think Japan is a Poor Country? Reply with quote

We seem to hear a lot in the media how Japan has been stuck in a 25 year recession, so the economy's so bad. And that the interest payments on Japan's national debt is equal to its GDP.

After hearing this, one feels that this country is ready to collapse economically.

That said, I see Japanese people splashing out money on hybrid cars, taxi rides that are 720 yen to start, and expensive European designer goods. The sales of luxury cookies and sweets on the food floors of Japan's major department stores are still brisk. A poster in Yokohama station proudly announces that there's a new HERMES (designer French boutique) opening soon in the station's mall.

And the lesson fees at the language school I work at are much higher than any amount people in North America would pay for French, Spanish or Chinese lessons.

So, the media would have you believe than Japan's economy is barely breathing, but what I see day to day with my own eyes is quite different.

Your thoughts?
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a huge gap between Tokyo and rural areas.
A lot of hidden poverty. You don't see people beg, but in Osaka so many people are on welfare.
A lot of elderly have fixed pensions and cannot spend so much.

Almost 40% of people work on either part-time or temporary contracts.

People come to Tokyo to make money but not everyone does well.

Last edited by mitsui on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
kzjohn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Think Japan is a Poor Country? Reply with quote

Black_Beer_Man wrote:
We seem to hear a lot in the media how Japan has been stuck in a 25 year recession, so the economy's so bad. And that the interest payments on Japan's national debt is equal to its GDP.

After hearing this, one feels that ...

Tho you come back on the other side of this later in your post, I think you need to broaden what you read as news sources. I'm not part of your "we" in "We seem to hear..."

Japan's debt is about 230% of GDP. Huge, but on the plus side it's mostly held domestically, not abroad.

Japan now has record low unemployment, a 25 year low--literally anybody can get a job.

Interest rates remain at record lows (stimulus), so those auto and housing loans are really cheap.

A health event or accident won't bankrupt you, and you'll get decent care.

Tho on overall GDP Japan is third in the world, take a look at per capita GDP.

Japan is in a better position vis-a-vis its aging population vs China/Korea, since it is relatively well developed in comparison.

And so on.

edit: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2018/03/04/issues/south-korean-job-nomads-follow-dreams-japan/#.Wpv9wGbDJE4
Black_Beer_Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Think Japan is a Poor Country? Reply with quote

kzjohn wrote:
Black_Beer_Man wrote:

After hearing this, one feels that ...

Tho you come back on the other side of this later in your post, I think you need to broaden what you read as news sources. I'm not part of your "we" in "We seem to hear..."

Japan's debt is about 230% of GDP. Huge, but on the plus side it's mostly held domestically, not abroad.

Japan now has record low unemployment, a 25 year low--literally anybody can get a job.

Interest rates remain at record lows (stimulus), so those auto and housing loans are really cheap.

A health event or accident won't bankrupt you, and you'll get decent care.

Tho on overall GDP Japan is third in the world, take a look at per capita GDP.

Japan is in a better position vis-a-vis its aging population vs China/Korea, since it is relatively well developed in comparison.

And so on.

edit: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2018/03/04/issues/south-korean-job-nomads-follow-dreams-japan/#.Wpv9wGbDJE4

Thanks for this info kzjohn. I didn't consider these points.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: