Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intensive Delta options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Intensive Delta options Reply with quote

I would appreciate any feedback on these options for a full-time, intensive Delta. Perhaps you've studied or worked at these schools, or you have reliable knowledge of these schools/courses.

Celt Athens
https://celtathens.com/delta/intensive/

IH Barcelona
https://www.ihes.com/bcn/tt/delta/delta.html

IH Wroclaw
http://www.ih.com.pl/wroclaw/our_delta_courses,s328.html

ITI Istanbul
https://www.iti-istanbul.com/home

Any opinions are much appreciated - thanks
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no knowledge of these course providers. However, a few things to keep in mind:
    • Like the CELTA, the Delta is standardized; it entails the same course content and exams regardless of where it's offered.
    • Tutors and personnel can/do change. For example, a popular Delta tutor who worked for X training center last year may have moved on to tutor elsewhere.
    • On-site amenities, facilities, and additional support offered to students can vary by course provider.
That said, your inquiry is rather broad. What are your specific questions, concerns, and expectations regarding the intensive Delta and those particular course providers?
CKM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I'm fairly familiar with the Delta...lots of research and chats with other teachers but just haven't got round to actually doing it! I take your point about the standardisation matter, but, as you also point out, personnel can change or facilities may vary etc.

nomad soul wrote:
your inquiry is rather broad. What are your specific questions, concerns, and expectations regarding the intensive Delta and those particular course providers?

Intentionally broad...any info about these schools might help me to choose. It's not so much about whether to chose the intensive option (that's decided) but more about the schools and/or their delivery of the Delta.

From what I already know, all of these schools are reputable and I've heard positive things about their teacher training. I'm just trying to choose!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKM wrote:
Any info about these schools might help me to choose. It's not so much about whether to chose the intensive option (that's decided) but more about the schools and/or their delivery of the Delta.

From what I already know, all of these schools are reputable and I've heard positive things about their teacher training. I'm just trying to choose!

The delivery would be the same since the Delta is standardized.

No one here knows your finances and personal requirements. In addition to your top location, go with the training center that offers the support and amenities you want (e.g., availability of Internet/wifi, computers, reference material for additional study, visa help, etc.) and that fits your budget. Make a list of your must-haves and costs, and then check with each course provider to see if they tick all of your boxes.
Elicit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are talking intentionally broad, I have had a very good experience (CELTA) at an IH. Although the exact course and location were different to as specified, my overall satisfaction with the course delivery means they would be top of my list. Can’t speak for the other schools listed mind.
CKM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elicit wrote:
If we are talking intentionally broad, I have had a very good experience (CELTA) at an IH. Although the exact course and location were different to as specified, my overall satisfaction with the course delivery means they would be top of my list. Can’t speak for the other schools listed mind.

Thanks. Same for me - a (generally) positive experience doing my CELTA at an IH school. I also had a positive experience working at an IH school in the past, so choosing to do the Delta at an IH seems like a safe bet...but I've heard good things about CELT and ITI too!
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Intensive Delta options Reply with quote

CKM wrote:

Any opinions are much appreciated - thanks

Be wary of intensive DELTA. It's a lot of work in a short period. That's obvious, but perhaps doing the modules separately, or 1 and 3 together and 2 separately, might be best. I have a master's degree in finance and two of the DELTA modules (I failed Module 1, the exam). While a master's is a lot more intellectually challenging, just the sheer quantity of work in DELTA crammed into a few months wasn't a nice experience. Think about: lesson observations and background essays, preparation for a 3-hour exam, and an extended essay (the latter should contain full course plan and appended materials). All of which is Level 7 (UK standards - i.e., postgraduate level). Only one person in my group (of 10) passed all three at once.
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Intensive Delta options Reply with quote

psychedelicacy wrote:
an extended essay (the latter should contain full course plan and appended materials)

And a full needs analysis of real learners (Module 3). Forgot that.
CKM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Intensive Delta options Reply with quote

psychedelicacy wrote:

Be wary of intensive DELTA.

Thanks - I am! I would prefer to do it over an extended period, but the intensive suits me best at the moment.

Maybe you tried to take the module 1 exam and submit module 3 very soon after your course? I intend to sit the module 1 exam and submit module 3 in December...about 3 months after the course, so I have time to review/revise/work on everything.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the logic of taking an intensive course, and then dragging it out (with no support) for another 3 months? You could just get started now and get 1 done and 3 well under way before the practicum course, and then use that time to finish off, rather than to get started.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: