Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low(er) Cost Japanese Summer courses / JET applications

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the dakota kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Low(er) Cost Japanese Summer courses / JET applications Reply with quote

Does anyone have any recommendations for a lower cost Japanese language summer study program in Japan or SE Asia? I checked with Saigon Language School, but their courses are only for Vietnamese students.

Why? I will be an older than average (40-45) applicant for JET this fall (October 2018). I read that applicants with teaching experience, certifications, and Japanese language experience are more likely to be accepted. Anybody know if this is true?

Thanks,
tdk
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Low(er) Cost Japanese Summer courses / JET applications Reply with quote

the dakota kid wrote:
I read that applicants with teaching experience, certifications, and Japanese language experience are more likely to be accepted. Anybody know if this is true?

I was a JET for a number of years, beginning over a decade ago. Generally, yes. It's true. What I saw during my years on JET was more and more people arriving already speaking some Japanese (beyond the level that they teach you before arriving) and / or having teacher qualifications - maybe just a CELTA, maybe state / provincial teacher qualifications.

It depends on how many people apply from your designated area. They will choose the ones that they feel are the best qualified ones... as would happen in most jobs.

I was once told that they have a point system to rank paper applications. Anyone over a certain point gets an interview. The points then go back to zero, and you get points in the interview- the highest get to go, the next rank are designated as 'alternate' (because some people who are accepted choose not to go- part and parcel of an application system that lasts an entire year, I suppose).

A summer course in all likelihood won't give you anything beyond the amount of Japanese that JETs are given as part of pre-departure preparation. You would be better off taking an individual university course, or trying to learn on your own with books, videos, sets of CDs etc.

The application basically tells you what they are looking for: knowledge OF Japan (Japanese history, places in Japan- you need to talk about the places you put as a preference), Japanese language, Your own country's culture, language teaching qualifications. They also like it if you have travelled quite a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: