Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DRUGS: RISK DEATH PENALTY OR JAIL BY ASSOCIATION

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Action

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: DRUGS: RISK DEATH PENALTY OR JAIL BY ASSOCIATION Reply with quote

PLEASE BE AWARE OF COLLEAGUES ILLEGAL DRUGS, ASIA HAS A DEATH PENALTY THAT MAY EVEN BE PREFERABLE TO JAIL?

In most of the schools I have worked at during the last 40 years there have been a few drug users. It has become much more prevalent in recent years.
An important consideration is that the drugs will be kept (somewhere) at these teachers accommodation or school for the duration of their stay!
My worst shock came from taking over the room of an elderly Californian lady professor who had dropped her numerous soggy "roaches" into the window planter. They sat there for 3 months until I opened the shutters come spring!
Nowadays your association can result in an arbitrary death penalty or imprisonment due to increasing enforcement, your sense of entitlement or innocence won't help your case!

Am I being paranoid? No, I shared accommodation, meals and crossed borders with these people. Some of these countries even ban cigarettes in public!
A number of the violators were indifferent, whereas others were genuinely surprised to learn of the penalties (really)!
Here's a few I can recall from experience.

U.K.
Some teachers studying for their licence exam smoked marijuana because it was fashionable in the 80's. They simply got their knuckles rapped!

UAE
An American in Jeddah got busted for alcohol possession and jailed (he went in like Mr. Universe and came out like a broom handle despite friends taking him food every day for two years).

Malaysia:
Some Kiwi newbie teachers brought in "uppers" and marijuana to cope with elementary students!

Philippines:
Some Korean "hagwon" managers used methamphetamine chloride to stay awake "the morning after".
Some Filipino teachers used it socially.
One American teacher got deported for prior association with a European seller of marijuana that had got busted and jailed.
One American had a single wild marijuana growing in their garden and got their passport confiscated on hold departure (five years waiting for trial led to numerous immigration violations and subsequent fines).

Thailand:
Some teachers at a most exclusive boys school snorted cocaine to stay lively after a weekends partying. The school reputedly barred staff for as little as visiting Pattaya and kept an informant at Eastern bus terminal to identify violators.

N.Vietnam:
One American teacher merely attempted buying heroin derivatives locally, got busted and had to leave (he paid a mega bribe to prevent arrest).
A Czech teacher that did the yoga, joss sticks and "grass" thing on the floor below stank my room out too!
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the movie "Dadah is Death". It's on Youtube. It's about 2 Australians that were hung in Malaysia for trafficking. Both were portrayed as guilty, but even if one of them was say "set up", it wouldn't have made any difference. I don't like to go to Malaysia, or to Indonesia either particularly. You should hear some of the stories concerning the police and the courts in Indonesia. Both Indonesia and Malaysia seems to me just basically pitiless counties.
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voyagerksa wrote:
Check out the movie "Dadah is Death". It's on Youtube.

Thanks. Watching this movie right now.
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blistering Zanazilz wrote:
voyagerksa wrote:
Check out the movie "Dadah is Death". It's on Youtube.

Thanks. Watching this movie right now.

Yep, pretty good. Those Oz accents are way thick, almost need subtitles. Have you checked out Brokedown Palace? PM me, if you want a link.

Funniest line ever:

"Who is the best lawyer in Malaysia?"

" Unfortunately, that would be the prosecutor. "
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to the drug war, the hypocrisy is astounding. It's a bit like prostitution, which, of course, is also illegal, but, in many places in Southeast Asia, highly, highly visible.

Governments all talk a 'big game' when it comes to stamping out narcotics in Southeast Asia, but, there are plenty of places where they blatantly turn a 'blind eye' to it. I won't mention locations here, but, I've been to a number of areas on the 'backpacker trail' where there are just rows of 'pizza shops' offering 'magic' options. Needless to say, the cops are on the take and profiting from the traffic. They are often the ones running it. Quite simply, arresting people would be bad for business.

Don't get me wrong, even if you are in one of those locations, you shouldn't walk around the streets, stoned out of your brain, blowing bong hits into a cop's face. However, with a bit of discretion, I would rate the legal risks as pretty negligible in that environment. That's not the same as saying zero risks. Also physical and mental health risks are different and, whether you can get away with it or not, I'm not advocating it and you sure as hell shouldn't get involved in trafficking or dealing.

Certainly, there are other places, like Singapore, where if you want to get involved in illegal drugs, you, IMHO, ought to have your head read! However, for example, in the backpacker district of one of the cities I lived in for a number of years, you couldn't walk from here to there without being offered drugs and I have never, ever heard of anyone getting busted for it. Like I said, it's not in their interests. In short, IMHO, you shouldn't mess around with it in the first place, but, if you must, be very mindful of where you are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: