Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering Kuwait? Avoid The American Baccalaureate School

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ESSProf333_NS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Considering Kuwait? Avoid The American Baccalaureate School Reply with quote

You may have noticed there are many job postings for this secondary school (though this is an ESL job website, and this school does NOT have ESL curriculum at all). If you are reading this review, you take your research seriously as I did not when I applied for ABS.

I worked there for a number of YEARS. The only reason I stayed was for contract purposes (I keep my word though I wished I had not).

Please please please, for your own sake, do not accept employment with this school. Not only is it extremely disorganized, the Management is abusive and negligent to their employees. There are several teachers with lawsuits against the school because they were unfairly fired and not paid. It has a long history of scandals -- it used to be the American Bilingual School.

The turnover rate is VERY high, so the workload is not worth the money. Also, this is one of the lowest paying schools in Kuwait.

Do your research on this school. Unfortunately, you may or may not find much information despite a few bad reviews and some oddly overly-positive ones. That is because the Management censors things and scares people into not posting reviews.

I can write for days regarding all of the injustice, poor management, nightmares, etc. What's unfortunate is that I really enjoyed the students who suffer the worse.

As for Kuwait in general, there are much better countries that pay well and allow you a high savings -- Singapore, Taiwan, Oman and Qatar just to name a few. This country has no respect for foreigners, Western or not, and is not family-friendly.

Best of luck!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Kuwait is the only place I've ever worked where a colleague reported me for writing something on Dave's and it was about Powerpoint FFS!

Having lived in Saudi, Kuwait, Qatar and the UAE, I can honestly say that Kuwait was the most disappointing, Saudi was what I expected, Qatar was a pleasant surprise and the UAE was/is streets ahead of the others.

However, the golden age of Gulf jobs is over. Lower salaries, higher living costs, fewer benefits in the packages and cheaper English teachers from Sotu Africa etc mean it's over. Low oil is here to stay. Now you have to stay 10 years to save what you could have saved in 2 before.

I'm glad I was only in Fahaheel for 9 months. 2 or 3 good colleagues made it doable but seriously boring.
travelbug0055

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems accurate. Any school that posts on Dave's as much as they do must have trouble keeping employees/have a high turnover rate.

I remember I did an interview with them a couple of years ago. Something seemed off about them.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High Turnover is the norm at most schools in Kuwait.....boredom and arrogant students don't help much either...plus wages are at rock bottom these days attracting mostly Asian and Arab EFL teachers!
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never worked in Kuwait, but, know plenty of people who have and, personally, I've yet to hear anything other than it's the pits.
ChemM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People go to Kuwait only (and only) to make Money. Though few teachers are doing great by making their school owners happy Smile

The working hours are too long, pressure is too much and work culture is no where to be matched with any European country. You are ruled by your principal, your students and your school owner who may not even be as educated as you. Most of the teachers go for 1-3 years, make better money and try to move somewhere else.

The schools are mostly IG or American syllabus. There are 1-2 IB schools also which are better. The environment of schools teaching other curriculum are extremely sad where teachers are paid 200-500KD a month.

The parents love the school names starting with American or British or similar fancy name. They prefer while skin teachers irrespective of their origin.

I know many teachers who moved from Kuwait to China and Korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: