Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

air pollution in hanoi and ho chi minh city

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hedon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: air pollution in hanoi and ho chi minh city Reply with quote

Could anyone confirm or qualify an impression I am getting from google search results that both these cities suffer from problematic pollution that will be a problem for someone like me, namely someone who has mild allergic asthma?

In particular, I am thinking of applying for a job with ACET in either Hanoi or HCM City. The job seems a good match except for this. In the short term one I would be Ok but over a period of months I think I would gradually succumb to respiratory problems. Maybe living very close to work would minimise the problem, I don't know.

I was wondering if colleagues here might be able to comment.
AbeCross

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Hanoi Reply with quote

"As Southeast Asia’s fastest-growing economy, Vietnam is facing a pollution problem. The capital, Hanoi, enjoyed little more than one month of clean air last year, according to a January report by the Green Innovation and Development Centre."

From a Reuters article:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/vietnam-business-tax/vietnam-plans-to-hike-fuel-taxes-in-fight-against-pollution-debt-idUKL4N1RH21A

I believe Saigon is even more congested and polluted.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: air pollution in hanoi and ho chi minh city Reply with quote

hedon wrote:
Could anyone confirm or qualify an impression I am getting from google search results that both these cities suffer from problematic pollution that will be a problem for someone like me, namely someone who has mild allergic asthma?

In particular, I am thinking of applying for a job with ACET in either Hanoi or HCM City. The job seems a good match except for this. In the short term one I would be Ok but over a period of months I think I would gradually succumb to respiratory problems. Maybe living very close to work would minimise the problem, I don't know.

I was wondering if colleagues here might be able to comment.

I've lived in Saigon and Hanoi.

The pollution is bad. I think Hanoi is worse b/c the air does not move as much.

Remember, if you live close to work that pollution is INSIDE YOUR HOUSE OR APARTMENT.
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be quite an experience for you. Biweekly visits to a doctor (wherever you find one) for your asthma, squat toilets (most likely not in your apt. though), people espousing the benefits of squat toilets, bad traffic, bad pay. I would go somewhere else really.
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today the pollution index was Moderate, around 88 or so, worse than Harbin. The pollution in Harbin is appalling.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hà Nội has a population of approx. 8 million and HCMC's is 10 mil ++. Both cities are still in the process of constructing mass transit systems (subway/skytrain) and not only suffer from air pollution but also noise pollution, overcrowding, etc.

There are some charms to be found in both cities but personally, the longest I ever managed to stay in HCMC was a year and a third in 2007 – 08, compared to 12 years in Bangkok (not that I would really recommend BKK now). I spent a month in Hà Nội in 2010, which was sufficient.

Anyway, in my opinion, you should:

1) visit both cities and see if you have a preference, then plan to try one for 6 months to a year
2) Look into living and working somewhere else in Việt Nam
3) Consider other countries as a Plan B to fall back on if life in VN turns out to not be your cup of tea.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:

1) visit both cities and see if you have a preference, then plan to try one for 6 months to a year

I'd agree with this, but, it's important to bear in mind that there is a big difference between visiting a place as a tourist and living there. Saigon is a big city, but, for a tourist, there isn't that much to do. Hanoi is far more interesting and, when I was a tourist, I enjoyed Hanoi much more. Living there was a very different matter and, of the two, I personally found Ho Chi Minh City to be far more livable.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pollution??? The biggest problem in Vietnam is POPULATION Pollution....too many people and too few resources! Shocked
sigmoid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Rankings:

Population:

15th - Vietnam 93,700,000

Area:

66th - Vietnam 331,212 km2

Population density:

50th - Vietnam 283 ppl/km2
kingplaya4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work conditions aren't great here, if you are set on Vietnam, why not try the host of smaller cities that advertise for teachers? It's not near as bad as China, but the two cities would not be great for someone with asthma.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: