Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D.F. tutor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrValenzuela

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: D.F. tutor Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Looking for a bit of help. I'm an American living in Mexico City. Been here since July. I already have a job with a company giving English classes but my problem is that I don't know if or when they're going to submit any paperwork for my residente temporal.

I know there are a few recruiters on this forum so I wanted to see if anyone is either interested in hiring a foreign worker or knows someone who might be. Any help or advice is appreciated,

God bless.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: D.F. tutor Reply with quote

DrValenzuela wrote:
Hey guys,

Looking for a bit of help. I'm an American living in Mexico City. Been here since July. I already have a job with a company giving English classes but my problem is that I don't know if or when they're going to submit any paperwork for my residente temporal.

I know there are a few recruiters on this forum so I wanted to see if anyone is either interested in hiring a foreign worker or knows someone who might be. Any help or advice is appreciated,

God bless.

You might want to look on Craig's List, there are often jobs there. If you are already working without papers there is probably no incentive for them to do so.
DrValenzuela

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: D.F. tutor Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
You might want to look on Craig's List, there are often jobs there. If you are already working without papers there is probably no incentive for them to do so.

Thanks for the response!
DrValenzuela

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here we are again.

Does anyone know of a school or organization in Mexico City that sponsors work visas?

From what I can tell it's not a difficult process at all but it seems like even schools that used to provide visas are now requiring that you have the right to work in Mexico before they'll hire you. Confused
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to find a language institute that sponsors for a work visa....pretty much only the largest, well-established ones do, such as the Anglo or the British Council.

Have you thought about working in a primary or secondary school, full time? It's not the best time of year to be seeking such work, but there are almost always openings somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DrValenzuela

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

According to the website of the British Council applicants must possess "the full legal right to work in Mexico." So it seems that, currently, they are not sponsoring visas anymore. I did however send an email to clarify that point and will give up an update if & when I receive a reply. The Anglo will probably sponsor visas I'm just waiting to hear back from them and hammer out details.

Yes, this time around I'm expanding my search to primary and secondary schools as well. I am more or less planning to begin working formally in the fall but am trying to put together options.

Also, I've noticed that compared with, say, 2014 it seems like several branches of different language schools have either moved or closed down in Mexico City. Not sure why. Someone even told me that this kind of work has become very competitive.
Jeff19

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrValenzuela wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

According to the website of the British Council applicants must possess "the full legal right to work in Mexico." So it seems that, currently, they are not sponsoring visas anymore. I did however send an email to clarify that point and will give up an update if & when I receive a reply. The Anglo will probably sponsor visas I'm just waiting to hear back from them and hammer out details.

Yes, this time around I'm expanding my search to primary and secondary schools as well. I am more or less planning to begin working formally in the fall but am trying to put together options.

Also, I've noticed that compared with, say, 2014 it seems like several branches of different language schools have either moved or closed down in Mexico City. Not sure why. Someone even told me that this kind of work has become very competitive.

I have an incoming job interview with them and they already told me that they are able to sponsor a working visa. Wink

They don't mention anything about the salary though, what should I expect? Would something like 20000 pesos be ok for Mexico City? I noticed that rent is not so cheap and the BC building is in Polanco.

If I do end up working there, which neighbourhood would you guys recommend?
DrValenzuela

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have an incoming job interview with them and they already told me that they are able to sponsor a working visa.

Update: You're right. On Friday I received a reply stating they do help sponsor work visas. (Or "work permits" as they call them.)

Quote:
They don't mention anything about the salary though, what should I expect? Would something like 20000 pesos be ok for Mexico City?

I don't know what British Council pays but similar schools pay about 15 or 16 a month from what I've been told.

Quote:
I noticed that rent is not so cheap and the BC building is in Polanco.

La navarte, mostly for safety reasons. There has been a major crime wave in Mexico City for the past year. People are being robbed in public places in the middle of the day. You'll probably be paying a minimum of 8 or 9k a month in rent to stay in one of the better areas.

Last edited by DrValenzuela on Sat May 05, 2018 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrValenzuela

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that Polanco, Condesa, and La Roma are all very nice areas as well but I don't know what kind of rent you'd be paying in those areas considering they're the richest neighborhoods.
Jeff19

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrValenzuela wrote:
Quote:
I have an incoming job interview with them and they already told me that they are able to sponsor a working visa.

Update: You're right. On Friday I received a reply stating they do help sponsor work visas. (Or "work permits" as they call them.)

Quote:
They don't mention anything about the salary though, what should I expect? Would something like 20000 pesos be ok for Mexico City?

I don't know what British Council pays but similar schools pay about 15 or 16 a month from what I've been told.

Quote:
I noticed that rent is not so cheap and the BC building is in Polanco.

La navarte, mostly for safety reasons. There has been a major crime wave in Mexico City for the past year. People are being robbed in public places in the middle of the day. You'll probably be paying a minimum of 8 or 9k a month in rent to stay in one of the better areas.

Thanks for your reply. This is a little concerning, I understand that the cost of living is not so high, but still, those numbers for salary and rent make me wonder if it's all worthy.

What about the areas of San Rafael and Juarez?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrValenzuela wrote:
I should add that Polanco, Condesa, and La Roma are all very nice areas as well but I don't know what kind of rent you'd be paying in those areas considering they're the richest neighborhoods.

Rents are pretty high in those areas...at best you'd have to share a place with one or more people, and still be spending about 5000-9000 on rent and utilities.

Quote:
What about the areas of San Rafael and Juarez?

Better on rent here yes. Santa Maria la Ribera is another area closeby.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DrValenzuela

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. This is a little concerning, I understand that the cost of living is not so high, but still, those numbers for salary and rent make me wonder if it's all worthy.

Ah, I should clarify that I meant renting a whole apartment. In my experience you will find single rooms in the nicer areas (and places like centro) for about 4 to 5k if you're willing to have roomies. Renting an entire apartment in the nicer areas is very pricey, 13-14k and up.

My current apartment is near Polanco (but in a different colonia) and the rent is 4,500 plus utilities and maintenance. I split the rent with my wife and we rent our parking space to another couple to reduce costs. Someone who lives a few blocks away pays even less than us but it's kind of a rough area and you have to know people to find apartments here.

Last year the cheapest I could find in San Rafael was about 7k and the apartments were kind of cramped. My advice is to find roommates using facebook groups.

Quote:
Santa Maria la Ribera is another area closeby.

Good suggestion.
DrValenzuela

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you can live very well in Mexico City on a salary from a good school. Having fun and going places is very cheap here and you'll never run out of things to do!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: