Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PhD in Applied Linguistics / Linguistics / English Language

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burgess29

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: PhD in Applied Linguistics / Linguistics / English Language Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I want to register and complete a PhD; potentially from a university in the UAE. However, there seem to be very few, if any, universities which offer a PhD in Applied Linguistics or Linguistics.

There are some providers of PhD's in Education and 1 (i think) which provides a PhD in English Language.

However, my real passion is research in syntactic ambiguity processing and resolution; a sub section of psycholinguistics / syntax and this falls firmly under Applied Linguistics.

Does anyone know of an internationally accredited PhD program in Applied Linguistics or Linguistics. My employer would not increase my job grade or salary unless my PhD was in the same / similar subject as my MA (also Applied Linguistics).

Any thoughts, musings or feedback are most welcome... Very Happy Very Happy
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burgess29 wrote:
Does anyone know of an internationally accredited PhD program in Applied Linguistics or Linguistics. My employer would not increase my job grade or salary unless my PhD was in the same / similar subject as my MA (also Applied Linguistics).

There is no such thing as an "internationally accredited" university program. Confused

It seems you'll have to look outside the UAE for an applied ling doctorate since none of the country's universities offers it. Were you planning to complete it via distance/online learning? The UAE doesn't recognize degrees that entailed online/distance coursework.
sheikhitnow

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Recognized Reply with quote

No doubt what the OP is looking for is a PhD program awarded by an internationally *recognized* university. Linguistics programs are not professionally accredited in the manner that MBA programs and law schools are; linguistics students rely on the name recognition of the university and sometimes the program itself. Furthermore a degree from an Arab university does not carry any weight on the world stage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: