Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best place to teach adults, and requirements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nellychess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Best place to teach adults, and requirements Reply with quote

Hello all

I was hoping to get some insight into places you can teach adults, and perhaps the qualifications you need.

I realize that most of the jobs worldwide involve children, but I was hoping to find out where the best places are to go if you want to make a career out of teaching adults.

Cheers
bograt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of countries out there and a lot of types of adult teaching. E.g. EAP, teacher training, business English, vocational English, Test Prep, University teaching, general English. Requirements for jobs can range from relevant Masters plus experience to a BA and a pulse.
nellychess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BA and a pulse sounds perfect for me !

Any idea which places I should look into?

I'm looking for long term. I would definitely be willing to work my way up in a place that had jobs worth working up to.
bograt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nellychess wrote:

Any idea which places I should look into?

I'm looking for long term. I would definitely be willing to work my way up in a place that had jobs worth working up to.

Adult Teaching with no TEFL qualifications will involve long hours at dodgy language schools (probably split shifts) low pay and, not knowing anything about teaching, you’ll have to make yourself popular with the students to avoid complaints. You’ll inevitably get a few though and you’ll always get blamed for them. Any jobs worth working your way up to will eventually require qualifications. Something to consider if you're planning on doing it long term

Do it for a year or two by all means but the longer you put off getting a CELTA/DELTA/MA, the longer you put off having a decent job and being respected in the field. Other people will give you more advice about location but countries taking people with BAs and a pulse are mostly South East/East Asia. Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Thailand etc…
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nellychess wrote:

Working your way up won't be enough for a career in TEFL; you would need to bump up your credentials/education as well.

I recall you posting a few years back about getting a CELTA. Have you since completed any TEFL training?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of hagwan chains in S.Korea that only do adults and hire with just a BA and a pulse. Ugly split shifts (6-9am and 6-10pm) but you only teach 30 x50 minute classes per week.
There are a few on-line firms that do adults only but you will be working Asia evenings (so early AM in the US).
You might be able to find something in China (they are desperate for white faced NES teachers) but you will also need a TEFL cert to get the visa.
Anything better than that will require you to actually undertake some professional development and buy a plane ticket.
cormac

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Best place to teach adults, and requirements Reply with quote

nellychess wrote:
Hello all

I was hoping to get some insight into places you can teach adults, and perhaps the qualifications you need.

I realize that most of the jobs worldwide involve children, but I was hoping to find out where the best places are to go if you want to make a career out of teaching adults.

Cheers

China is a decent option without needing serious TEFL qualifications if you're happy with getting living expense and minor savings. There are excellent job positions here but mostly you need a MA (with experience) or the right kind of connections. Outside of that you're likely to get a salary for 7-8k RMB, which provides a solid lifestyle but little in the way of savings (pretty depressing when you travel outside the PRC).

Adult work comes in two main forms. Language schools, which will generally pay you the most (10k-20k) but there might be some requirement to teach kids/teens too, along with 30+ teaching hours. Alternatively, there are the university positions with the lower salary, but also lower hours. Most Uni teachers on a BA are on low amounts, but earn decently from private classes, or online work.

Business English generally isn't worth it unless you're in a school where the companies/students come to you. I've tried it since my pre-teaching background was Finance/Business, but the time in traveling and cancelled classes (while in route) just eats into your money.

I'd recommend China to you. Get your 120 hour TEFL cert (with actual classroom experience) and you'll do fine here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: