Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kung Fu Supa Sumo Warrior to get 25K-30K 4 English Smack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is 25,000-30,000 with NO apartment included a good job in Hong Kong?
Yes.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No.
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Yes if it is 30 grand and is 6 or less hours a day for 5 days a wek.
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
No if it is 9-5 5 days a week at 25 grand.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes if they include free Kung Fu lessons with chaste Kung Fu Lady Monks who only do body shots avoiding your face.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No if you have to defend the school from angry 1900 bullet proof society of righteious and harmonious fist western haters without Smedley Butler.
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

The Great Toad

Location: Formosa until Fall then... another English Crusade I shall sally off to ????

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Kung Fu Supa Sumo Warrior to get 25K-30K 4 English Smack Reply with quote

I have a job offer of unclear pays at a Hong Kong High Skool. The pay is somewhere between 25,000 and 30,000 per month SANS a apartment in the salary package. I am a grand masta rapper of Native English mouth might. I am not some SE Asia Malay 'native' English teacher. (I do not blame them for taking a better job outside their SE Asia home but I wish they would not as supply demand = my pay) I feel if the pay is not the said max of 30,000 they are slighting me and I should poo-poo their offered contract.

The polite knowlegeable person who was so impressed with my qualifications and video interview assured me that there was some sort of Hong Kong Kong Pow Chicken Kung Kung Fu Native teacher Goverernment gravy train program for 20 or 40 grand that would pay for my apartment. I would have to apply for tbis AFTER taking the job and demonstrating a history of goodly performance. Firstly this offer seems poor as the pay is lower than my station in my Middel East past contracts. second it sounded like the work contract included me going into the high school 2 saturdays a month to do special programs I assume involving my advanced Engliah Monkey Kung Fu style that they wish to master as I.

What sort of offer is this? I read of jobs that pay near 4000 dollars a month reading books with little cute China girls and boys. Am I being insulted with this 25-30 grand job offer which has no apartment included? Please reply and promise to buy me pizzas if I come to Hong Kong cooler than Jean Claude Van Dame without the coke.
yurii

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Kung Fu Supa Sumo Warrior to get 25K-30K 4 English Smack Reply with quote

Hong Kong schools don't generally offer accommodation (like China).

The Great Toad wrote:

The polite knowlegeable person who was so impressed with my qualifications and video interview assured me that there was some sort of Hong Kong Kong Pow Chicken Kung Kung Fu Native teacher Goverernment gravy train program for 20 or 40 grand that would pay for my apartment.

There's the HKNET programme by the government which pays something like 27k a month. But, you also get an allowance of 20k a month. So you're looking at 47k a month. However, this programme is very very competitive.

The Great Toad wrote:

What sort of offer is this? I read of jobs that pay near 4000 dollars a month reading books with little cute China girls and boys.

Doubt it!
Jmbf

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Kung Fu Supa Sumo Warrior to get 25K-30K 4 English Smack Reply with quote

The Great Toad wrote:
I have a job offer of unclear pays at a Hong Kong High Skool. The pay is somewhere between 25,000 and 30,000 per month SANS a apartment in the salary package.

The answer to this depends on a number of factors. Here is a quick breakdown of the rough salary ranges at (most of) the educational institutions here:

Language Centres: 18K - 30K (no accommodation)
Kindergartens: 20K - 30K (no accommodation)
Local Schools: 20K - 40K (no accommodation)
EDB NET Scheme: 50K - 88K (including special 'accommodation' allowance)
International Schools: 30K - 100K+ (might include accommodation allowance)

These are rough figures and naturally there will be some exceptions to the above. Where you fit on that salary scale will depend on your qualifications and experience and where you are in your teaching career. There are many teachers who 'get along fine' on 20K / month (without accommodation) in language centres and elsewhere but it's not something I'd recommend long term. Whether your offer of 25-30K is sufficient for you depends a lot on your lifestyle and how much you want to save. I'd advise you to go look up the cost of living in HK to get some idea of the costs.

The Great Toad wrote:
What sort of offer is this? I read of jobs that pay near 4000 dollars a month reading books with little cute China girls and boys. Am I being insulted with this 25-30 grand job offer which has no apartment included?

25-30K would be a decent offer for a language centre. Whether or not you take it would depend on the factors I mentioned above PLUS whether you feel there is room for growth. A lot of dedicated and hard-working teachers have been able to use language centre work as a stepping stone into better positions here such as in the EDB NET scheme. That would require significant effort and time though. If you just want to put in the bare minimum and cruise along then this might not be for you.
nandrews

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"sans apartment" is a major factor in HK. If you're used to living by yourself, get ready to shell out at least 10,000 HKD for a studio (somewhere in Kowloon/NT). Alternatively, you can easily find flatshares for 8-9k even on the Island.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll copy some budget details over from a previous thread and update them a bit.

Accommodation: HKD 10,000
Utilities: HKD 1000
Food: HKD 4,000
Transportation: HKD 1,000
Misc expenses: HKD 1,000
Entertainment: HKD 3,000

That totals HKD 20,000 in expenses per month. Naturally, you could spend more or less dependent on your choice of accommodation and lifestyle requirements.

If you earn HKD 30,000 then you should still have a reasonable amount leftover for savings. Bear in mind you have to put some of those savings aside for tax AND some will be taken out for your MPF contributions.
The Great Toad

Location: Formosa until Fall then... another English Crusade I shall sally off to ????

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks for all the helpful budget charts. I guess I should take the job. I had so many people send me pms telling me they would buy me sweetrolls at Startbucks. I am not sure who to have as a roomate though. I will have to try and get in the program where you get budgeted an apartment and extra pay. I am a bit worried as I do not want to get put in a detention camp if the USA and China hit each other's jets or ships in stronger chicken games around the SE Asia (oopps China) Sea. However, I did not like the government oversight culture of Saudi. But now they are going crazy liberal letting women drive with 1 open beer in the car. Females driving with two open beers will still be illegal next year unless they are just coming over the bridge from Bahrain.

I think I will take the job there. According to this forum I can teach legally there as long as I report my income. I will be sure to do tons of private free chat lessons at Starbucks with rich people. Rich people in HK Starbucks should send me a PM my job will start in August when the other teacher leaves. The principal in the skype interview who hired me told me the last teacher stuidied Kung Fu, mastered it and now plans to live inland at a monastery perfecting himself until he is immortal.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Toad wrote:
I think I will take the job there. According to this forum I can teach legally there as long as I report my income. I will be sure to do tons of private free chat lessons at Starbucks with rich people. Rich people in HK Starbucks should send me a PM my job will start in August when the other teacher leaves.

If you are talking about taking on private students outside of your main teaching role, then that is NOT allowed on a standard working visa.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, 30k isn't enough to make HK worth it unless you're willing to really put the pieces in place to get onto the NET scheme. I suppose if you took a very rudimentary 10k for housing (very small studio), 10k for living, 10k for saving, then it might still be worth it.

You can forget major travelling and regular Wan Chai/LKF drinking on that salary though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: