Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Second Foreign Language School Shanghai AVOID!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocket man

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Second Foreign Language School Shanghai AVOID!!!!! Reply with quote

I was teaching at this school out in Huinan on Line 16 until the end of January and this school needs to be avoided at all costs!!!!

It's one of these "dual diploma" schools where Chinese students are supposedly prepping to get into a US university where they take several courses in English. You are told these students have good English skills and are motivated to study etc. This is a total sham, most of the students have rudimentary English skills, are unmotivated and discipline problems. In fact some of the students have been to one or two other schools only to expelled for discipline problems.

In my time there I had numerous problems with student behavior including being assaulted by several students yet the admin chose to do nothing. Sadly I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Admin blames the foreign teachers for the students misbehavior, they will also walk around and look into your classroom and if they see a student sleeping, playing on his phone etc it is your fault

After I left, I was told a student brought a gun to class and the admin was upset it got mentioned on the teachers WeChat group

the HR person is so incompetent her mistakes have caused several teachers to go on costly visa runs the school wont reimburse

the one upside was the South African academic director they brought in September is an absolute first class guy who tries his best

All the current teachers are leaving and the admin is saying they don't care about the students

All the school cares about is its revenue stream forget about teaching

I could go into more detail about things PM me for more info.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'a student brought a gun to class' Wow that's a new one!
Sounds horrendous OP, I hope you landed a much better position since?
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getbehindthemule wrote:

He never saw that, someone told him about it after he stopped working there. The rest is believable, but not the part about the gun. Could make a great ESL story for the memoirs though.
rocket man

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blistering Zanazilz wrote:
getbehindthemule wrote:

He never saw that, someone told him about it after he stopped working there. The rest is believable, but not the part about the gun. Could make a great ESL story for the memoirs though.

gun story is absolutely true, several teachers have told me the same story

also on a field trip I was on several students were caught with booze and hookers in hotel rooms. School did nothing and tried to sweep it under the rug in order to preserve their repuation

I came back to the states after leaving the school, glad I did China wasn't for me
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was probably a realistic looking replica gun. That is what most, even gangsters, carry around in China. Hand guns are very hard for people to get a hold of here. Not impossible, but I find it hard to believe a child, even a very rich one, would be packing a real hand gun.
CNexpatesl

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how were you assaulted, and what did you do in retaliation?
rocket man

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNexpatesl wrote:
So how were you assaulted, and what did you do in retaliation?

Few kids pushed me when I tried to take away their phones (see my earlier comment about what happens when admin sees a kid playing on a phone in your classroom). I did nothing in retaliation except try and get an admin. Nothing happened to the kids. Another time I was in a colleagues classroom, kids walked in a and gave me the bird (they know what it means), nothing happened again.

The gun incident, well it was determined that it was a pellet gun so nothing happened to the student despite the foreign teachers being outraged about their safety and mentioning if that happened in the states the best thing that would happen would be the kid would be in jail and now in our post Parkland world, the kid may have been killed.

Told this to some teachers over lunch today at the school I'm subbing at and they were shocked that this kind of behavior would be tolerated and how they treated us and one taught at a private school where money seemed to be the first concern
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: