Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Departed early issues
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astrotrain

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Departed early issues Reply with quote

Need advice, hope the experienced gents here can help.

I signed a 2 year contract with this school back in Sept of last year. Due to a family emergency I had to book a last minute flight back home. I was working in an International Department teaching a subject. After things settled down i contacted the school to provide a brief notice and marks I already tabulated up to departure but haven't really talked to them since.

I am not looking to go back, the city I was in was far too underdeveloped, the school was not licensed to teach an AP program -they were not registered with the AP College board, the students barely spoke grade level English couldn't understand the textbooks nor the teacher, the previous subject teacher prior to me was showing movies during class for the entire 2 semesters hence a lot of disciplinary issues, needless to say I felt I was wasting my time and skills being there with no value added.

I have read some other posts about other teachers here who unfortunately experienced far worst student disciplinary issues (violent acts against them). My experience there was not on that level but yikes compared to my previous school in China it was like I was in the twilight zone for a good 3.5 months.

Sorry to digress, my main question is I am back in Canuck country, family issues dealt with and looking for Sept starts, will I run into issues getting a new work visa? Leaving early might have gotten me black listed since I need a release letter, closure of my FEC, recommendation letter etc. Last I heard from the school they closed my residence permit.
cormac

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go to a different province (not a neighboring one). I highly doubt you'll have any official issues.

You jumped ship. Plenty of teachers have done the same and managed to get work again.
astrotrain

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cormac,

No way in hell I want to work or set foot in that province again, even the capital city in which you transfer from to get to the town I was in was dirty, rude, crude and uncivilized.

If there is a nxt time I am only sticking to big cities tier 1 or 2, and resume due diligence which I neglected on this one due to seeing my gal there sooner.

I was and still concerned about future visa issues due to this but I believe another poster "originalprankster (?)" moved from school to school about a 1/2 dozen times within a year but he is still in China while I left.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you for leaving. There are some hell schools and cities. Plenty other. Xiamen, Zhuhai, plenty more.
cormac

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We often hear about a blacklist for teachers, but TBH from conversations with Fao's or business owners, it's never once come up. Even when it comes to the PSB, many of their records on foreigners are not made available nationally, and come down to whether someone can be bothered to do all that paperwork. In my experience, Chinese administrations may love paperwork, but the employees tend to minimize the need for it (which is why they demand exactly the right details on everything)
geosmiley

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: It should be fine. Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the advice you are receiving here. There would be a visa in your passport that would give it all away. How would you get around the visa in your passport?
cormac

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: It should be fine. Reply with quote

geosmiley wrote:
I'm not sure about the advice you are receiving here. There would be a visa in your passport that would give it all away. How would you get around the visa in your passport?

Why would the visa in his passport matter? The only people checking that would be the police, and skipping out on a school isn't a criminal offense.

I have yet to see any evidence of a "blacklist" for teachers that officials have any access to or concern about. It would be different if the school had brought a civil action against him for breach of contract, but... no mention of anything like that here.
geosmiley

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Anything is Possible Reply with quote

Whether it's a criminal offense or not is irrelevant, this isn't a liberal western democracy. A criminal offense is whatever the police say it is.

Here in Hangzhou you first register within 24 hours. Then a few days later the International Department takes your passport for a day or two and goes to the police station to have your Z visa put inside. The International Department and the Police peruse where you've been and what you've done before, particularly in China. It's a simple matter for the International Department to compare your resume to the visas in your passport and see if there is something amiss. That is just one possible scenario and it doesn't have a good outcome.

I've never heard of a blacklist either but it wouldn't surprise me if there isn't one coming. Things are obviously changing here in China.

I'm not arguing that you won't get away with leaving an unpleasant position. It stands to reason it's common. However, it's also logical to consider that you may not and just because you got away with it in the past isn't proof that you will get away with it in the future.

The previous visa is there in your passport for anyone to see and question and if I were hiding something it would make me nervous.

I have no idea how to handle this. I hope you're right that it doesn't matter but if you're wrong.......
teenoso

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recent experience of this - I left my last employer 2 years ago, a month before the contract ended , because of various issues.
Found a job last year in another province, but the new uni wanted a recommendation letter from the previous uni . The FAO refused to give me any kind of letter because I left before the end of the contract, so the new job fell through. I contacted the city FAO where the previous uni was, but they couldn't help.

Still haven't figured out how to solve this problem, and find legal work here. Maybe private training centres would not be so demanding on the paperwork, but it could be the government education office in the province which needs exactly the right paperwork.

So it can be a real thing, if you don't leave a job in good standing. Even if you returned to China with a new passport , with no evidence of the previous work visa, it might still pop up on the computer system at some point in the application process for a new job.
cormac

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Anything is Possible Reply with quote

geosmiley wrote:
The previous visa is there in your passport for anyone to see and question and if I were hiding something it would make me nervous.

My passport has 8 visas attached to it. Any time that I have been to the psb, they glance through the passport, and focus on the current visa.

The point is though that there is no reason for his previous visa to raise any flags. He didn't break the law in China, unless the school decided to call the psb over the matter, which I highly doubt they did.

Quote:
I have no idea how to handle this. I hope you're right that it doesn't matter but if you're wrong.......

If I'm wrong, then he explains the situation, makes the appropriate apologies to officials who have no connection to the school and moves on with things. China can be an awkward country but Chinese officials aren't complete twats. Show that you're genuinely sorry for the inconvenience, have a solid excuse that Chinese people can appreciate (family reasons being king), and I doubt they'd care that much.

teenoso wrote:
Still haven't figured out how to solve this problem, and find legal work here. Maybe private training centres would not be so demanding on the paperwork, but it could be the government education office in the province which needs exactly the right paperwork.

Just clearly state in job applications that you have no recommendation letter from the previous school. I have only one recommendation letter for my last school, and nothing for the other 5 schools on my resume.

Anyway, there are plenty of schools who don't care about a letter, and just want a foreign warm body. Pick one of them, do your time well, get a rec letter from them, and start moving upwards again. I wouldn't give up on universities if that's what you're interested in.

I've applied to about twenty universities and most haven't asked for the rec letter from me. They're more concerned with the interviews and that I can pass the requirements for the visa.
astrotrain

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teenoso wrote:
I have recent experience of this - I left my last employer 2 years ago, a month before the contract ended , because of various issues.
Found a job last year in another province, but the new uni wanted a recommendation letter from the previous uni . The FAO refused to give me any kind of letter because I left before the end of the contract, so the new job fell through. I contacted the city FAO where the previous uni was, but they couldn't help.

So it can be a real thing, if you don't leave a job in good standing. Even if you returned to China with a new passport , with no evidence of the previous work visa, it might still pop up on the computer system at some point in the application process for a new job.

Does that mean for the past 2 years you have been going through the 3 months tourist, business or marriage visa route?

I have heard of people working on the tourist visa, even a a fellow Canadian Principal working at one of the big international schools in GZ had to go to Macau every few months to reup his Visa. A long story for him, not sure why his school could not do the resident permit on time, think he mentioned not getting his criminal check authenticated in time for his assignment last Sept.

How does the tourist visa re-up procedure work? is the maximum stay 3 months, plan a trip to H.K or macua then go to the Chinese embassy there to apply for a new tourist visa, do they give you this Visa on the same day as your application then you can re-enter China same day?
astrotrain

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything is Possible Reply with quote

[quote="cormac"]
geosmiley wrote:

I've applied to about twenty universities and most haven't asked for the rec letter from me. They're more concerned with the interviews and that I can pass the requirements for the visa.

I have an interview coming up, should I be upfront and tell the new schools this issue? Don't want to waste their and my time. It is a real shame I practically wasted 5 months retooling all my AP Econ powerpoint lessons plans on this school which I may not be able to use in an official capacity again.

As a last backup plan, my girlfriend is in Guangzhou with her family so we have an apartment there we can use and I go back and work on a tourist thing or heaven help me a marriage visa. If I get blocked might as well get married since you can't legally work for an employer anymore and consider setting up a business for income stream. I heard many have gone this route or even Youtubed a career, sigh . .
cormac

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anything is Possible Reply with quote

astrotrain wrote:
I have an interview coming up, should I be upfront and tell the new schools this issue? Don't want to waste their and my time. It is a real shame I practically wasted 5 months retooling all my AP Econ powerpoint lessons plans on this school which I may not be able to use in an official capacity again.

Personally, i'd just say that you were unable to get a recommendation letter from the school. I wouldn't go into any details. There are plenty of schools out there with lazy or ignorant fao's unwilling to type up a rec letter. It's hardly a secret the behavior of many fao's. I've had the same issues getting rec letters from my other universities even though the contract finished perfectly fine.

So, I'd raise that there is no rec letter, but point to your other attributes/benefits as a teacher. You could refer to your lesson plans and share some of them to show how commited you are as a teacher.

Quote:
As a last backup plan, my girlfriend is in Guangzhou with her family so we have an apartment there we can use and I go back and work on a tourist thing or heaven help me a marriage visa. If I get blocked might as well get married since you can't legally work for an employer anymore and consider setting up a business for income stream. I heard many have gone this route or even Youtubed a career, sigh . .

I don't see any reason for you to be blocked from jobs. If anything, I'd remove the last university from my resume, and just apply as a fresh teacher.

Some seem to think Chinese people are all interconnected and can access all manner of records about foreigners. Sure, on a local level that can be true, but nationally? Nope. Just apply to places outside of the last universitys province.

Lastly, if all else fails just go with EF. They'll sort it all out for you and won't care in the slightest. You'll have plenty of hours though but overall they're a decent company to work for.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is you need the release/recommendation letters not for your new school, but for the government to process your new docs. Without it they will not do it. Somehow you need to get these, either the new employer can pressure them or you can look into other legal recourse I guess. Not sure as I have never faced the situation.
cormac

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
The problem is you need the release/recommendation letters not for your new school, but for the government to process your new docs. Without it they will not do it. Somehow you need to get these, either the new employer can pressure them or you can look into other legal recourse I guess. Not sure as I have never faced the situation.

The release letter is required when you're already in China on an existing visa, seeking to move to another school, and the release letter allows the transfer of the visa.

Per my understanding of the OPs situation, the visa refers to last year, and he is currently in Canada. Therefore, a new visa application would be needed, and a release letter wouldn't be required since the new visa would be with a different school. it's essentially a fresh start.

Now, if he was still in China, and expecting to get a job without the approval of the school, then he would be screwed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: