Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Departed early issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cormac wrote:
teenoso wrote:
I'm a bit confused by the difference between a letter of release and a letter of recommendation.

The recommendation letter is just required by some universities for the job applications. It has no legal bearing.

The release letter is given by the school at the end of your contract to show that the contract has been fulfilled (as long as you remember to ask for it). It is required by the PSB for the the transfer of a visa, or renewal of a visa with a different school.

Both letters have a history of being a pain to get, and are generally quite important.

The document is required. Why people are pushing another way is fun.

OK, so I looked back at my documents. One is a letter of termination of the contract (release) and the other is the recommendation letter stating the university's feeling of my service. For my current job I do not think either was important other than for processing everything.

Last edited by nimadecaomei on Sat May 26, 2018 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving School A for School B, is a loss of face for A. That must be corrected in some way and petty delays are often used.
Hold on to your marks for finals until you've got your money and documentation.
I know it seems like taking your students hostage, but it's the only fight back you have.
thechangling

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
Leaving School A for School B, is a loss of face for A. That must be corrected in some way and petty delays are often used.
Hold on to your marks for finals until you've got your money and documentation.
I know it seems like taking your students hostage, but it's the only fight back you have.

Agreed. It's less hassle all round just to see the contract out sometimes.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean just not accepting an invitation to re-sign, can give rise to pettiness. Sometimes in situations where you thought everything was fine.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rec and release letters are needed. You also need a visa to enter China.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so no reply about getting the Z visa in country or the conversion to an RP. You need a visa to enter a foreign country and whatever sticker they put in your passport is that visa. If you came on a different visa and changed, then please tell us.

It seems to me this poster was just a troll. Feel free to correct me.
twowheel

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmdcm,

I won't correct you, but I'll second you. Indeed, as you have correctly indicated, the (Z) visa is what is used to legally enter the country in the first place, which in this case would give one 30 days in country to convert it to the residence permit which then allows one further residence in the country, haha, hence that name.

visa-- via French from Latin visa, past participle (neuter plural) of videre ‘to see.’ That's all the visa is, gets you in the country and lets you see. The residence permit allows continued...err uhh...residence.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, just backing you up and attempting to clarify by setting straight the correct terminology. I find that there really shouldn't be any question about this.

Warm regards,
twowheel
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never received or asked for a recommendation letter. The release letter from memory just states that you completed your contract and there are no outstanding issues.
It's really a certificate of employment such as a government dept would issue in the West.
In country Z visas (i.e converted from Tourist L) are vanishingly rare as their close cousin the Hong Kong equivalent.
Seems they have a spousal component although that special circumstance is often not mentioned by the poster in question.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or someone who misleads by saying they came into the country with a stamp (visa I guess) and got a Z visa in country. Why would they do that?
teenoso

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe once you are on spousal visa you are denied any work permits, i.e. you cannot legally work for any employer in the country unless you own your own business etc.

I heard many Youtubers proclaim such. Can you clarify why you tried to apply for the local Uni job in your wife's hometown? didn't the school reject the application becus of your marriage status?

I think on a spousal visa you not allowed to do any work, not even voluntary or part-time; I was reminded at the PSB when I got the visa that I could not work. I don't know about running your own business, but that would seem to be the same - ie. illegal.
The Uni in my wife's home city would have sponsored me to get the z visa in HK, although the FAO asked me whether I thought I could get it there, rather than going back home, so it didn't inspire me with confidence. It's quite a big Uni here , but has only one foreign teacher.
Anyway my application never got that far because of the missing letter of recommendation. The Uni had a long list of documents it needed, CV in a prescribed form , authenticated certificate, authenticated criminal record check, health check of course, and a letter of recommendation. This list makes me think they were working from province mandated rules, not just their own Uni rules.
astrotrain

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teenoso wrote:
Quote:
I believe once you are on spousal visa you are denied any work permits, i.e. you cannot legally work for any employer in the country unless you own your own business etc.

I heard many Youtubers proclaim such. Can you clarify why you tried to apply for the local Uni job in your wife's hometown? didn't the school reject the application becus of your marriage status?

I think on a spousal visa you not allowed to do any work, not even voluntary or part-time; I was reminded at the PSB when I got the visa that I could not work. I don't know about running your own business, but that would seem to be the same - ie. illegal.
The Uni in my wife's home city would have sponsored me to get the z visa in HK, although the FAO asked me whether I thought I could get it there, rather than going back home, so it didn't inspire me with confidence. It's quite a big Uni here , but has only one foreign teacher.
Anyway my application never got that far because of the missing letter of recommendation. The Uni had a long list of documents it needed, CV in a prescribed form , authenticated certificate, authenticated criminal record check, health check of course, and a letter of recommendation. This list makes me think they were working from province mandated rules, not just their own Uni rules.

I knew an American who has been in Southern China for > 10 years. He started his own school, teaching grade schoolers English, doing very well but I believe everything is in his wife's name, school, house, car etc.

Very strange how the spousal resident permit works, not allowed to work, own property and I believe you still need to renew your residence every 2 years. Every other country a spousal visa is suppose to make it easier for all those things I mentioned above, how does the government expect one to support the family if the husband cannot legally work, own a business etc.?

I am looking to gather as much information as possible and make an informed decision on what route is best, I am too young to retire, don't want to whittle my savings and stay there doing nothing all day on a spousal visa or make videos on Youtube to generate an income stream.

May I ask how are you earning income now on the spousal, spending all that free time? PM me if you wish to elaborate discreetly. Thanks.

P.S. yeah, all those docs I had done before last year, particular my degree and criminal check authenticated, health check etc but all for the wrong school. I can get another criminal authentication since I am back in Canada but with this leaving early issue hanging over me maybe a futile endeavor.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our western governments would do everyone a lot of favours if they insisted on reciprocity when granting rights to Chinese. A spousal visa in my country can be renewed over and over. There is no need to leave the country and it allows the (Chinese) spouse to work.
The only sector that have had tougher restrictions applied in recent times is for elderly Chinese parents.
Despite lots of assurances that filial piety requires Chinese offspring to support their parents, at the first sign of a serious medical issue they arrive at the public hosptals expecting free care.
astrotrain

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^

Canadian immigration is very tough on PRC residents recently, why? history of abuse, fake marriages, work visa, benefits abuse etc. Very difficult to even have my G.F. visit here without a dearth of supporting docs and financial assets. Partly why I have to go back.

How about New Zealand? For us, free universal health care, unemployment benefits, social welfare, equitable labor laws, child benefits, etc., Chinese luv these attractions so a lot of immigration fraud in the past led to very tough immigration regulations.

I do not see any appreciable benefits of spousal visa the other way, Wow, you get to renew your Visa by an extra year? what else? no citizenship, pension, health care, no ability to work legally, etc etc. sigh
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please stay on topic.

If the personal jabs and bickering postings continue, makers of same will not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: