Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job Prospects With A MA TESOL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RunItTwice

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Job Prospects With A MA TESOL Reply with quote

I moved to the UK last year to do a 1 year MA TESOL program. The idea was to get out of the entry level jobs I've been doing for 7 years*.

However, I am concerned that if I stay in the UK that I will get more of the same entry level work. EAP jobs tend to require previous EAP experience which I don't have. Other positions where I could put my MA to use seem to go to people with previous connections. A lot of the openings I find online seem to require nothing more than a CELTA/BA and a clean criminal record and pay peanuts.

So I guess I'm wondering where I can best put a brand new MA to use without falling back on jobs of the past. I prefer teaching older teens/adults far more than kids if that helps at all.

*The experience has been split over public schools, universities, and private academies in South Korea, China and Spain
Elicit

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the MA.

It is now prime presessional recruiting time in the U.K.. I’d check the BALEAP and jobs.ac.uk websites and apply to whatever is advertised, unless your uni where you completed the MA has something going. University presessionals don’t always manage to recruit according to their requirements, so emphasize any previous relevant experience you have.

The easiest way to gain relevant EAP experience is of course to head back abroad again and return back to the U.K. after securing a similar position there. However, from your post it is not clear if this is an option or not. If not, it’ll probably take a while to find a U.K. EAP position but something will come up eventually. You could always do some language school work in the meantime.
RunItTwice

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tragically, I'm pretty set to living where I live until my lease is up in late August. I'm hoping for opportunities to pop up for insessional EAP and banking on nearby unis having openings for EAP.

I suppose the US, Canada and Ireland has their share of EAP programs. What about countries where English is not spoken as a first language?
Londonlover

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be extremely difficult for you to get in-sessional work. Firstly, in-sessional provision tends to be on a far smaller scale than pre-sessional. Summer pre-sessionals are by far the peak period when universities need temporary EAP staff. Secondly, it would be extemely rare for someone just to walk into in-sessional work without any prior connections to the university's EAP department, as universities tend to rely on their existing long-term staff and/or give any work that occurs during the academic year to people they've employed on their summer pre-sessionals who they have seen work at close hand and deem to be effective and reliable. This is a reason why in-sessional work is never advertised.
If you have an MATESOL that should help you secure some summer pre-sessional work and that likelihood increases further if combined with a DELTA (or if someone has a DELTA but no MA TESOL).
It is definitely worth you applying to summer pre-sessionals now. This is the way you get your foot in the door in U.K. EAP provision. The work may be seasonal for a couple of years but with a bit of luck, you would then be in the queue for any extra work that comes up during the year.
You said you 'moved to the U.K' to do the MA TESOL course. Are you are American, Canadian, Australian/Kiwi?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't offer info about the UK's TESOL market, but for connections, check out IATEFL's Special Interest Groups to meet others who share your interests. Also create a Linkedin profile and start networking.
RunItTwice

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londonlover wrote:

It is definitely worth you applying to summer pre-sessionals now. This is the way you get your foot in the door in U.K. EAP provision. The work may be seasonal for a couple of years but with a bit of luck, you would then be in the queue for any extra work that comes up during the year.
You said you 'moved to the U.K' to do the MA TESOL course. Are you are American, Canadian, Australian/Kiwi?

I am a dual Irish-American citizen.

My main focus is finding a position where I can put my Master's to use. The notion of getting a Master's and then being unable to get anything beyond what I had without one is an extremely depressing thought.

EAP is appealing to me as it offers a new challenge to take on and focuses on older teen/adult students which I find far more fulfilling and enjoyable to teach than kids. But I'd be willing to seek other options that would require a MA if those jobs are slim.

China seems to be appealing as well so long as I can avoid the public university jobs that I was able to get with almost no experience and no certification.
Elicit

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RunItTwice wrote:

China seems to be appealing as well so long as I can avoid the public university jobs that I was able to get with almost no experience and no certification. Some universities in the UK have connections with ones in China. Does anybody here have experience or any knowledge about those positions>

I have experience at two and they are listed in the following threads.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=117528

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=117307

I believe one of my past/present employers is actively hiring now and the other probably will be shortly.

In any case, those two threads contain the places you should be applying to. I would tailor your CV toward adults and take the institutions’ wish lists with a pinch of salt. Just apply anyway. In fact, if not actively advertising, throwing a CV and a letter of enquiry out to them is probably also worthwhile.

There are not so many MA qualified teachers here, or who want to be here, that the joint venture universities are overrun with candidates and can afford to be ultra choosy. I know this to be true because they employed me. 😳😄

You could post on the China board too, as I know there are other posters there that have worked at university joint ventures and they probably have much greater experience with them than me.
Londonlover

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RunItTwice wrote:
Londonlover wrote:

My main focus is finding a position where I can put my Master's to use. The notion of getting a Master's and then being unable to get anything beyond what I had without one is an extremely depressing thought.

I am fairly sure that you would be able to get some U.K. pre-sessional work this summer with your MA TESOL in the bag. As a previous poster said just look at the BALEAP website and the Jobs. ac.uk one for current vacancies. Now is the time to apply.
Some British university EAP departments actually prefer a DELTA, which includes the observed teaching component that many U.K. MA TESOLs lack. But your MA TESOL should stand you in good stead if you start applying for pre-sessionals.
Seeing as you have lived in China, if you could get into the very well-paying joint ventures - Nottingham Ningbo and Liverpool Suzhou, that would probably be a much more stable and secure position than trying to scrabble around for regular EAP work in the U.K. in a sector where there are hourly-paid contracts, rare full-time jobs and irregular work.
RunItTwice

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I sent an application to the uni I went to but haven't received a response. I also haven't seen them advertise anything. Perhaps their positions are already filled.

Do universities themselves directly advertise EAP jobs? Or is it only through sites like jobs.ac.uk? I ask because the unis that I've seen on jobs.ac.uk for presessional EAP would require me to move house which I cannot do at this time.

Elicit wrote:
RunItTwice wrote:

China seems to be appealing as well so long as I can avoid the public university jobs that I was able to get with almost no experience and no certification. Some universities in the UK have connections with ones in China. Does anybody here have experience or any knowledge about those positions>

I have experience at two and they are listed in the following threads.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=117528

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=117307

I believe one of my past/present employers is actively hiring now and the other probably will be shortly.

In any case, those two threads contain the places you should be applying to. I would tailor your CV toward adults and take the institutions’ wish lists with a pinch of salt. Just apply anyway. In fact, if not actively advertising, throwing a CV and a letter of enquiry out to them is probably also worthwhile.

There are not so many MA qualified teachers here, or who want to be here, that the joint venture universities are overrun with candidates and can afford to be ultra choosy. I know this to be true because they employed me. 😳😄

You could post on the China board too, as I know there are other posters there that have worked at university joint ventures and they probably have much greater experience with them than me.

Those jobs look very interesting. I was concerned that I didn't have the qualifications to be considered but if you say so, I'll get cracking.

I also am applying to English Language Fellows which is based out of The US Department of State. I'm not sure I have the qualifications to compete but I'm still going to do it Smile
twowheel

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RunItTwice wrote:
I also am applying to English Language Fellows which is based out of The US Department of State. I'm not sure I have the qualifications to compete but I'm still going to do it Smile

Go for it! Good luck with the application.

twowheel
Londonlover

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RunItTwice wrote:
Yeah I sent an application to the uni I went to but haven't received a response. I also haven't seen them advertise anything. Perhaps their positions are already filled.

Do universities themselves directly advertise EAP jobs? Or is it only through sites like jobs.ac.uk? I ask because the unis that I've seen on jobs.ac.uk for presessional EAP would require me to move house which I cannot do at this time.

Most of the universities requiring pre-sessional staff this year will use one of the two websites I mentioned. Don't forget some unis were advertising as far back as February this year and have recruited.
In some cases, there may be universities who just advertise on the job vacancy pages on their own website/the web page of their university language centre, but I don't think there would be many who do that.
Quite a number of universities may not need to advertise at all if they have a full complement of staff- including regulars who go there in the summer year after year. Maybe they would just advertise every few years.
Other universities reliably seem to advertise more or less every year.
There are a few universities (not many!) that provide free accommodation for pre-sessional teachers, at others accommodation is available at a subsidised rate, and many universities provide no type of accommodation at all for pre-sessional teachers.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Higheredjobs, IATEFL, and TESOL International Association a look.

Also check out A professional ePortfolio can help you stand out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: