Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where Can I Learn About Japanese Housing Laws?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_Beer_Man

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Where Can I Learn About Japanese Housing Laws? Reply with quote

I moved into a sharehouse in March. I think the contract is full of illegal rules. For example: I have to live there a minimum of 6 months and I have to give 3 months advance notice to move out.

If I try to move out within 6 months, I will have to pay 3 month's rent penalty.

If I don't give at least 3 months notice, I will have to pay 1 month's rent penalty.

If I break both rules, I will have to pay both penalties 3 months + 1 month = 4 months rent.

Man! Can you believe that?
Only in Japan could a company write such a hostile contract for its customer.

But, is it legal? Can someone direct me to the housing laws? Japanese laws or Yokohama laws?
dove

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I believe that a share house would have rules that benefit them, especially if it caters to foreigners. Japnese contracts with foreigners often have illegal clauses built in because they figure gaijins won't protest. Definitely find an English speaking Japanese person who can help you determine if they are breaking any laws.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An article about renting https://www.city-cost.com/blogs/City-Cost/MqrXA-living_money

Take the contract to city hall and ask.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to City Hall is a good idea. At or near City Hall, there should be either a 国民生活センター or a 消費生活センター. Somebody in either place should be able to help you.

Also, there is a nationwide service providing free, initial legal consultation by phone. It is called 法テラス (Hou Terasu), and their contact information is as follows:

・法テラス(日本司法支援センター) 問い合わせ先:0570-078374(PHS・IP電話からは03-6745-5600)

Finally, there is a nationwide phone number to reach the 消費生活センター or 国民生活センター nearest you:

・消費生活センター・国民生活センター 問い合わせ先:0570-064-370(全国統一番号)

I don't think any of these options include English-language support, so you will need a Japanese-speaker with you to help. Good luck!
Black_Beer_Man

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taikibansei wrote:
Going to City Hall is a good idea. At or near City Hall, there should be either a 国民生活センター or a 消費生活センター. Somebody in either place should be able to help you.

Also, there is a nationwide service providing free, initial legal consultation by phone. It is called 法テラス (Hou Terasu), and their contact information is as follows:

・法テラス(日本司法支援センター) 問い合わせ先:0570-078374(PHS・IP電話からは03-6745-5600)

Finally, there is a nationwide phone number to reach the 消費生活センター or 国民生活センター nearest you:

・消費生活センター・国民生活センター 問い合わせ先:0570-064-370(全国統一番号)

I don't think any of these options include English-language support, so you will need a Japanese-speaker with you to help. Good luck!

Thanks for your help. This is good advice.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black_Beer_Man wrote
Quote:
Thanks for your help. This is good advice.

Good luck, and tell us how it works out.
Black_Beer_Man

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Housing seems to be one area of Japanese business that is rife with unscrupulous business practices.

You would think that a so-called advanced country like Japan would do something to regulate the industry.

I was shown 2 apartments in Hon Atsugi, Kanagawa a few years ago by a representative of Able Real Estate Agency, a major company. The first apartment has cockroaches running around in the closet when she opened the door. I also saw them in the kitchen sink.

Then, after showing me the next apartment, she tried to make me sign a lease without confirming with me that I understood it was a lease. Only when she asked me for my banking info did I realize this. I tore up the document and left the office.

Share houses in Japan also routinely overcharge the tenants for utilities. I've seen ads saying 15,000 yen or more per month for utilities. How much electricity, gas and water is one person living in a small room going to use?

Japan is very disappointing in many respects. Money rules everything here. Morals are not important.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: