Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Work PermiT Cancellation Policy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
no_i_clean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: New Work PermiT Cancellation Policy Reply with quote

Hey, so my foreign affairs department found out just yesterday that there had been a change to the work permit cancellation policy that means that the work permit cancellation procedure can't be even started until a teacher has ceased employment at the school (previously, the application to cancel could be submitted 10 days before the end of the contract finishing).

This means that staff who are leaving won't be able to get their documents on the last day of work, they will now have to wait another 10 - 15 days for the cancellation document.

Has anyone else encountered this yet? Im in GZ, maybe it's different elsewhere.
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Same. Also in GZ. Essentially every teacher leaving our school and getting a new job in China has been told it is impossible to transfer in-country, because it is impossible to get the paperwork in time to do so. Everyone is being told they must go to their home countries and start the Z-visa process from scratch.

This seems to be a ridiculous bureaucratic gap in how the govt is implementing new policies. Would be interested to know if anyone in the same circumstance has found a way to work around this and transfer jobs in-country.
no_i_clean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon in Suzhou wrote:
Yes. Same. Also in GZ. Essentially every teacher leaving our school and getting a new job in China has been told it is impossible to transfer in-country, because it is impossible to get the paperwork in time to do so. Everyone is being told they must go to their home countries and start the Z-visa process from scratch.

This seems to be a ridiculous bureaucratic gap in how the govt is implementing new policies. Would be interested to know if anyone in the same circumstance has found a way to work around this and transfer jobs in-country.

Whoa, that's mad! How are the teachers in your school reacting to that news?

My school is quite big and when things like this happen it automatically gets quite lynch mobbish and the school get blamed, foreign affairs officers get accused of lying etc. One teacher even went to the PSB and basically railroaded some girl who obviously didn't know any better into saying the school could get the documents earlier if they wanted, he just kept at her till she finally said yes, recorded it all and then brought it back to the school as "evidence".

Basically, my school has no said anyone who is leaving can finish two weeks earlier so we can start the application process sooner and get people the docs on time (the FAO already had put the end date of residents permit to two weeks after finish date in the case of sth like this so now they will have a month). We will just all have to pitch in and cover more classes for the last couple of weeks.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of transferring in-country(expecting my passport back with new RP this week). But it may have been much easier in my case as the Education company, that I had my previous contracts with, also happens to have done some work for my new school in the past.
A lot of paperwork, a lot of signatures, over the past month but seems to have gone smoothly.
geosmiley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Different Location Different Results Reply with quote

It probably has less to do with the Education company you're working with and more to do with the authorities where you are located. It's maddening, but everything in China is local and negotiable. You simply have to be sure of the process where you are going. There is no universal application of rules in China despite what you read on the forums.

In my own case, I did not have a Z visa before I arrived. I asked the Director here why. She explained, it was simple. Just another example of the university finding a way to exceed the number of FE's they are allowed to hire with the connivance of the local authorities. PM me for details of her explanation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: