Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IELTS Examiners

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: IELTS Examiners Reply with quote

Could someone please clarify something for me regarding IELTS examining in Vietnam? (I'm not an examiner but interested in doing so)

I was told recently (another teacher) that the writing component of the IELTS exam is no longer marked by examiners within Vietnam but is now sent outside to be externally marked - examiners just conduct and grade the speaking component. I have seen a British Council ad from last year advertising for examiners, and it included training in grading the writing part, so I'm just trying to figure out what the actual situation is.

Thanks
SeldomSeen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone told me that the writing component will be externally marked from mid-May 2018.

It is currently marked in-house, but will be done externally from then I understand. I believe that IDP did this some time ago.
CKM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeldomSeen wrote:
Someone told me that the writing component will be externally marked from mid-May 2018.

It is currently marked in-house, but will be done externally from then I understand. I believe that IDP did this some time ago.

Thanks for the info
Mattingly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am friends with a couple of examiners.

IDP outsourced the marking of writing over a year ago.

BC will outsource it in May, 2018. It's official.

The marking of writing is done in Australia on computers in the homes of people who mark for LESS money and have to accept marking 100 essays per day.

Less quality yet more profits for the business of the testing industry.

It's better to teach.
skarper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not IELTS but Cambridge PET/KET exams. I was quoted an hourly rate of 20-25 USD an hour to conduct and grade speaking tests. I refused to undergo the 2 unpaid training days for what I consider to be a rate of pay barely suitable for teaching.

Exams will be on weekends I would imagine, therefore teaching hours would need to be cancelled in order to conduct the exams..go figure?

I think to be honest the examining role is probably no longer a financially viable one.
bograt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advantage of examining is no prep and no pressure to provide an interesting/engaging class. The disadvantage is unpaid training/standardization, monitoring and tedium. As long as it pays the same or slightly more than teaching (as it does in Korea) it's still worth doing IMO as you get a convenient block of work ready provided.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skarper wrote:
Not IELTS but Cambridge PET/KET exams. I was quoted an hourly rate of 20-25 USD an hour to conduct and grade speaking tests. I refused to undergo the 2 unpaid training days for what I consider to be a rate of pay barely suitable for teaching.

Exams will be on weekends I would imagine, therefore teaching hours would need to be cancelled in order to conduct the exams..go figure?

I think to be honest the examining role is probably no longer a financially viable one.

Yes.

The Cambridge YLE, KET, PET, FCE, CAE exams are only part-time and far less than what is considered part-time. It's beer money, or small change to supplement you're main income.

And yes, these exams are almost always on Sat and Sun which often interferes with teaching as Sat and Sun are often busy days.

They are not held on every Sat and Sun or even most of them. It's sporadic.

There is a lot of corruption in these exams. Lots of it.

The FCE is very corrupt in the training that the govt dumps loads of money into.

Managers using confidential material to sell unauthorized training sessions and help garbage-can schools market.

Some dodgy TEFlers do the exams as well.

The rate in Hanoi is $20-25 (and it's been going down).

In Saigon I'm told that they only pay $10 per hour, which is even less than a backpacker's wage.
CKM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattingly wrote:

The marking of writing is done in Australia on computers in the homes of people who mark for LESS money and have to accept marking 100 essays per day.

It's better to teach.

Thanks. I saw a BC ad recently looking for these 'home markers' (UK based)...seems to be the way it's going.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattingly wrote:

It's better to teach.

That's a shame. It used to be a nice little side earner. One of the guys I knew at ACET used to do it when asked on weekends and he'd just bank the proceeds. After a few years, he built up a fairly considerable nest egg.
CKM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another quick question on this...with the marking now being outsourced, how does one become an examiner (and maintain your examiner status) if based in Vietnam? Can you now only train to conduct the speaking?
CKM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: