Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Longish post

View previous topic :: View next topic  
delacosta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Longish post Reply with quote

Good day everyone!
I just posted a somewhat longish post that exceeded the 300 word limit. I am wondering if I can divide my post up into segments and post it this way or do I have to do a completely new post.
Is this allowed? Not trying to break any rules here just wondering how to do this?
Thanks mods
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you do it like a long tweet...

blah blah blah (1/4)
blah blah blah (2/4)
etc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
delacosta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks Guy, I'll try to do it this way.
delacosta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day everyone!
This is Delacosta here, I used to post quite regularly on Dave’s about ten years or so ago when I was a teacher at the SUNEO university system based out of the Puerto Angel Oaxaca Campus. I was a full time tenured professor of English and worked for the school for a total of seven years during which time I was able to hone my ability as an English teacher.

SUNEO, for those of you who don’t know, is the Oaxacan state university system and currently there are at least a dozen campuses spread over the province, usually in regions that are somewhat economically disadvantaged.

Although the system is known as being somewhat rigid in its outlook and educational philosophy there are reasons for this and it would be a whole other topic that there is no need to get into here but suffice to say that it does seem to work even if it appears to go overboard at times.

Although frustrating on occasion I did not mind and was given plenty of leeway in the classroom as long as academic results were met. Of course there was some of the usual bureaucratic hassles to be contended with in such a large scale educational environment but a little bit of tact and politeness can go along way in such situations. It always serves one's interests to remember that as a foreign teacher we are GUESTS here.

Anyways to make what could be a very long story not so long...after my sixth year I was given my sabbatical and chose to go to India to pursue my interest in studying meditation. At the end of this time a business opportunity arose and I decided to pursue it.
delacosta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Back in The Saddle Part Two Reply with quote

I started a business importing Indian clothing, mostly scarves and pashminas and the business really took off and I was able to travel a few times a year to India and do a lot of volunteer work as well..
After about four years I could feel sales start to drop (the Chinese were starting to saturate the market with cheap knock offs and I feel like got out at the right time..

Right then my younger brother suffered a complete mental breakdown and I was the family member who was in a position to help him not get dragged down into the Ontario mental health system (a callejon sin salida if there ever was one)

I basically dedicated my time to do this while selling what I had left of my inventory. I am making it sound rather mild but it was a soul wrenching process in which my meditation training really came in handy.

At the end of it ( and yes there was a happy ending!) I absolutely needed some mental health time myself I decided to to a wee walk about through South America, mostly Ecuador and ended up staying almost five years in the charming Andean city of Cuenca, Ecuador.

I started a small company offering detoxing/cleansing retreats throughout Ecuador, from the coast to the mountains and even the jungle. I operated the business with my partner at the time based out of Cuenca but was able to offer English conversation classes as well as helping university students with writing and reading comprehension.
delacosta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towards the end of this time my father began to have some health issues in Ontario so I returned last year to be of assistance. During this time I did not teach any English and my main source of income was merchandising posters on a university and college circuit in Ontario (head salesman) Once again it was quite profitable but extremely long hours and travel was very extensive.

Sorry if this is going on too long…the season is over and I'm in DF getting some dental work done.

Almost upon arrival I have decided that I an going to stay here. You know the old once the dust of Mexico settles on your heart, you can find rest in no other land,...well it's come to that I fear. I'm here to stay. Although Ecuador is a dammed near second!

And this is where you all fit in!I am seeking advice and any commentary whatsoever pertaining to my situation.
I will admit I do feel a bit rusty in my teaching ability at the moment but nothing that I couldn’t ring up to par pretty quickly. I do have a 6 month visa so could work under the table till sponsored but am not too versed on the intricacies of this, although hear that it’s quite common.

Another option is online but I also don't know too much about that, but all options are on the table.
I'm planning on leaving Sunday night to Queretaro, the Eldorado of teaching and good safe and cheap living I'm told. I plan on dropping off resumes across town.
delacosta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit about me:BA Honors Economics, Delta, no not that one unfortunately, it’s a community college post grad diploma, over 330 hour full time classroom hours one year course. Experience is as listed above plus one year in Vancouver preparing (mostly Korean) high school students for Canadian universities as well as one year at a Thai teachers college that was laughable in its sheer incompetence ( as was I, I was backpacking but it did install a desire to teach).

Although it may appear as though I am a wild man at heart I am conservative in demeanor and appearance. I am completely fluent in written and spoken Spanish. I do have plenty of business experience but not in a corporate environment, however I am comfortable in such conditions.
One other option I have mulled over would be to go to China for a year and work for an outfit such as English First which is quite structured and then return to Mexico. China is not my first choice by far however!

Looking forward to hearing from any of you that feel like taking the time.to share your advice. Any leads on reputable schools that are hiring here in DF or Queretaro ( or anywhere for that matter) would be much appreciated.
Muchisimas gracias,
Delacosta
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For clarity, it would help if you simply consolidated your qualifications (including TEFL cert/training) and EFL teaching experience in one summarized post rather than have readers sift through four long separate posts. They can better answer your questions.
delacosta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I realize this but there is a 300 word limit per post and once I started it it just turned into a bit of a story.
oh well it was fun to write...
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No biggie. Just hit reply and post a summary of your quals and TEFL experience. Smile
MotherF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not interested in Pinotepa Nacional are you?
delacosta

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to PM you M but not sure if it went through.
I sent you my phone number but you can PM me yours if you like.
delacosta

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother F, i'd like to talk to you about Pinotepa. Check your .
Marcas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: back in Mexico Reply with quote

Delacosta, keep us updated on what you're doing down there.

I remember you from 2005. I used to teach in Campeche. I have a new-ish account because my old one was associated with a dead email address.

Best of luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: