Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Environment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CNexpatesl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Environment Reply with quote

E.

Last edited by CNexpatesl on Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
kingplaya4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't compare the two as I've only been in Ho Chi Minh, but assuming you're a male teacher it's very competitive. So if you aren't particularly high energy, I'd look elsewhere where there's more demand, possibly China. It's a tough market here because I sense the lack of loyalty goes both ways- teachers are quitting all the time to go home for various reasons, so anything they don't like about you even in the smallest way may be grounds for dismissal as they know someone else will be coming along soon enough, and they don't know how long you are truly staying anyways. A big part of the problem is the work permit situation which contributes to all the transients.

That's not to say that with enough time and effort you can't find a match for a school that will take an older, quieter teacher, but it's more likely to be in the boondocks and may not have the benefits and lifestyle you want. Maybe someone else who is on the ground can recommend somewhere better, but I often see more ads for Chinese jobs than Vietnamese in the Vietnamese section, so I suspect things are still booming over there.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the market in Ha Noi is any better than HCMC. It's definitely smaller.

Anyway, this is the way that teaching is in VN. The market is mostly kids and teens classes. Teachers need to be popular and not boring if they want to get the teaching hours. If you're not down with that, you need to become an.IELTS guru. There are a few schools that specialize in test prep.

In addition, a lot of folks get creative and look beyond the schools at stuff like privates and corporate work, online teaching, doing business, etc., essentially anything and everything that can keep your shadow from darkening the door of any lousy language institute at 8 am on a Saturday morning.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pipe in - I've lived and worked in China for the last 15 years, and jobs are a dime a dozen.

But one needs a change of scenery after 15 years and that's why I'm planning to head to Vietnam in the next couple months.

I'm doing a summer camp now - free boarding and food (free wifi, washing machine, fridge), and about 20 teaching hours/week. Salary about $2200/m no tax. Easy money.

But I still yearn to leave and go to Vietnam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: