Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too Many Academic Writing Classes - How to Negotiate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chryanvii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Too Many Academic Writing Classes - How to Negotiate Reply with quote

We are losing a foreign teacher after this semester, and I heard that because we are understaffed, we will have to pick up an additional writing class.

The problem is that I'm already swamped as it is with 2 writing classes - 60 papers per week (among other things - I'm at 16 hours per week with no "time and a half". I'm really worried about the excessive workload next semester.

How would you negotiate with your boss and the dean about this, and what if they keep insisting that there is nothing they can do?

Would you:

(a) Just deal with the work and change jobs after the semester is over

(b) Keep insisting?

(c) Other?

Does this seem like an abnormal workload to you for a normal base-salary university job?
geosmiley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Would you Reply with quote

Would you:

(d)Look for a new job.
cormac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd negotiate making it clear to them that you will move jobs if this continues.

I assume you were originally doing Oral classes, and gradually were given these writing classes?

I wouldn't do your workload on a basic salary. I've done it, but Its not worth it. So, negotiate, but I'd start scouting for a better position.
The bear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do go down the route of 'I'm walking' you must be prepared to go. Nothing worse than empty threats as they help nobody.

Your contract should inform your actions. If your contract simply says 16 teaching hours a week, don't think there's much you can do. However if it specifies the type of class e.g. Oral English then you have a case.

On another note, what mandates that you should grade/give feedback for your 60 essays a week? If you do have to teach the extra classes could you not make it easier for yourself e.g. Peer-marking, mark only a paragraph, focus on a particular feature each week etc. etc.
Elicit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything The Bear said, but be nicer than nice with the “I’m walking” bit, if you want the best chance of a smooth transition to another job in China.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bear wrote:
What mandates that you should grade/give feedback for your 60 essays a week? If you do have to teach the extra classes could you not make it easier for yourself e.g. Peer-marking, mark only a paragraph, focus on a particular feature each week etc. etc.

Ditto that. Marking that many essays per week is too much. If the learning outcome is that they demonstrate improvement in their writing, then there should be flexibility in how that goal is met.

I've taught academic writing (in another country) and incorporated peer feedback and marking, scaffolding, graphic organizers, and activities that reinforced self-correction. In other words, I put more of that responsibility on the students. Plus, they built their writing one paragraph at a time and not all in one sitting.
eihpos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it’s too many writing classes and I know what it’s like - they don’t seem to consider they type of classes they give you, oral or writing, even though the latter clearly takes up more time. A Chinese teacher in the department once said to me be ‘oh but it’s your native language, marking doesn’t take you very long’! Umm yes it does actually!

I can’t believe you are marking 60 papers every week though. You are obviously a conscientious teacher and the students are very lucky that you do that for them but I think you need to cut back, even if you end up back with the 2 classes. I have 2 writing classes, last semester 3 and I definitely don’t collect their workfor marking every week, I do it about 3 times a semester. I rotate it aswell so that I don’t have 60 papers at the same time. Nomad Soul’s ideas for giving the students responsibility are good. Maybe try out peer feedback using a checklist or something to help them get used to it, go through error codes etc. I was sceptical about doing it at first but it actually worked ok.
Modernist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am frankly astonished at what some people in this country do. Almost as remarkable as the lazy bums who do nothing, are the...I don't know. Naive? Foolish? Delusional? Those who will put themselves through such efforts for so little pay and so little appreciation.

When I worked at a Uni, earning my 'generous' 7300 a month after taxes, I never taught writing even once, and I never would have. For that pathetic salary they get Oral English and that's all. It's absurd in the extreme to deal with writing given the workload necessary. And then, you apparently are adding to it...60 papers a week?! How? Why? Why would you not cut that back, focus on smaller things like sentence structure or passive voice or thesis development, or a million other things they doubtless need. They can do worksheets, and then trade with a partner, and then grade themselves in class. You can just guide them to the right answers.

Doing that kind of intense weekly composition probably isn't even helping them, as they are just repeating the same mistakes over and over. They should break down their writing and work on the small parts one at a time. Then, at the end of term, they can do one major composition to be graded by you.

Again, this year I was teaching (1) writing class at my HS. And I did nothing remotely close to 60 papers a week grading (more like 60 papers a semester) and I was paid 2.5 times a 'basic' Uni salary for this. Some of you guys do not seem to understand the appropriate balance of work to pay for foreigners in this country.

Why would you put yourself through this? Find another job. Oral English only if you stay at a Uni. Make sure it's stated clearly in the contract. If they won't and offer only verbal assurances, don't sign.

Quote:
because we are understaffed

I can't imagine why that could be!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: