Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any information on American Baby International English?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjordan3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Any information on American Baby International English? Reply with quote

Hi I was offered a job with ABIE (American Baby International English) and I need to know if they are a reputable company. The hiring process seemed sketchy but I cannot go into detail in this post because of the limitations on post length. Does anyone have any info on this company and the Wuhan location?
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not even close to 300 words on that post, and surely you can add a bit more information if you want people to give you an honest opinion.
bjordan3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original details are 720 words. Here is the TL;DR

TLDR:
*Can I trust a TEFL agent under the title of “Foreign HR of International Teacher Department?”

*ABIE (American Baby International English) (Wuhan branch) how legit is this company?

*Are all schools untrustworthy if they hire you quickly?

*Where can I send pics of the Chinese SAIC documents they sent me to verify they are legit?
bjordan3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compressed it the best I can.
I applied to a job. I get a reply back from someone. Now I’m not going to name drop but she has an English first name and a Chinese last name. The footer on the email says she is “Foreign HR of International Teacher Department”. Only link is just a Facebook page with little information. She seems to be an agent. She sends information about the job details but it’s all some sentences on a blank page and no indication of the company. I didn’t pass the interview for that so she sends me another one for another school. I wait an hour after appointment for this Wechat interview and finally the lady gets on. She says there is no one else in the building to interview me and she seemed to be standing outside a closed facility. She barely spoke English herself and we only exchanged a few base questions. From what I remember we arranged another time for an interview. But then about a few hours later the interviewer texts me back and says I got the job. I didn’t see a lot of info about the school. I tried to look up info about the school on esl teachers board . Heard some bad things. Found a few positive reviews. I asked for a SAIC license. When I told the agent this she said they could not produce it. Later I contacted the school interviewer on the WeChat about the SAIC license and they sent me images of official looking documents but of course, they’re in Chinese and if someone can verify their authenticity let me know. Text chatted two guys they sent to me. Video chatted with one of them.
Modernist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a branch of this place in Wuxi. It's in a very swank mall so I would tend to think it's a legitimate place.

Just so you know, it's quite obviously a kindergarten or possibly even younger age place. It's daycare. Chinese parents pay to dump their obnoxious little screaming brats off at places like this and your white/foreign face is marketing to make them imagine that the kid is benefiting somehow when actually the point is to allow Mom and Dad to go off and buy their handbags and shoes in peace.

These jobs are bottom of the barrel. That the interviewer's English was poor was not unusual. The fact that you got an offer with almost no questions is code for, they'll hire anyone that will apply, basically.

The kids cannot speak any English, and you are meant to coddle them to a ludicrous degree. So you'll be working at the lowest level of comprehension, and the kids will be acting out to a high degree as well. If they are bad there's nothing you'll be able to do, as the point of places like this is that the Precious Child must be shown love no matter what. Mall kindergartens are exhausting jobs with enormous turnover.

One upside might be that there will be Chinese assistants there also, so you won't be alone with them.
twowheel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^I fully agree with Modernist's assessment.

twowheel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: