Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worried about a job offer from a very new school

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mexilex

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Worried about a job offer from a very new school Reply with quote

So I have been offered a job by a very new International school in the State of Mexico (they were just open last year) and my interview was great and I'm really excited about starting with a school that seems to be on a new and innovative track. The pay they're offering is good, the campus is the most spectacular I've ever seen, and I really clicked with the person I interviewed with.

My issue is that so far the administration does not seem like a great one. After our interview I had to follow up to remind them about the followup. Following that email it was two weeks before I heard something back from the head of the school--this was the job offer. The offer, she said, was official, however there was no offer letter attached, no contract, and all that was specified was the salary after tax, that they would provide housing (no details at all about this) and documents I need for a work visa (that I actually already have).

I accepted the offer and asked for more details (I don't know what grade I'm teaching, so I can't prepare, I dunno where the housing is, so I dunno if I want to work out my own housing, dunno what to tell my current landlord, I dunno if sick days or personal days are given, I literally know nothing.)

I waited two weeks and sent an email to the person I interviewed with expressing my concern, but I've heard nothing back.

It's a new school, so I'm prepared for challenges. It's the end of the school year, and I know things get hectic. But I'm really starting to think this school might be bad news if they are so disorganised that they can't communicate with new hires, even to reassure them that HR is the holdup.

It makes me feel really insecure about starting with this school, and now it's too late to apply anywhere else.

Any thoughts on this? I've posted on other forums and everyone thinks I should run the other way.
Aristede

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Worried about a job offer from a very new school Reply with quote

mexilex wrote:

Any thoughts on this? I've posted on other forums and everyone thinks I should run the other way.

Sounds like they're giving you good advice on those other forums. I've found that if there are things raising your antennae before you even begin the job, you probably have more unpleasant surprises awaiting you when you get there. The information these employers seem reluctant to provide certainly is a red flag. Them failing to answer your e-mail is an even bigger one. However, you could give them the benefit of the doubt on the second issue in case a spam filter intercepted your e-mail or it was accidentally overlooked. So you might try a follow-up email or better yet, a phone call (if possible). If they don't contact you satisfactorily within three days of that, then definitely "run the other way." I hope things work out regardless of your choice. Good luck.
mexilex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Aristede,

With hiring season done, I won't be able to score another job at this point, so I do need all the luck I can get. I will see how long it takes them to respond to my follow up message and if three days pass I'll give them a call.

But you're right--I don't have a good feeling going in, and I should probably just listen to my gut.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With hiring season done, I won't be able to score another job at this point

There are still plenty of jobs available...

Is it possible to get in touch with other new teachers from this school, or teachers already in place? Maybe helps to get an idea from the inside. I think a new school is always going to present some problems as they shake things out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mexilex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guy,

I really haven't seen anything new recently, and I've been checking Tes and TLA 100 times a day every day. In fact, I've sent my cv to scores of schools. I have 2 years IB experience at an asf school, a bachelors, and tefl certificate.

With regard to getting in touch with teachers at this school, I would be part of the first batch of international teachers, which makes it very hard to get in contact with anyone. It's actually a school that was previously advertised on TLA, but they're no longer up there.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know which school it is...this will be their second year operating. Wish I had some contacts to give you.

Feel free to get in touch with me directly...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DrValenzuela

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Worried about a job offer from a very new school Reply with quote

mexilex wrote:

I'm not sure what to tell you. My experience in Mexico is that this kind of disorganization and uncertainty is the norm rather than the exception.

Have you already been working in Mexico? What was your experience at your previous employer?

Also, if your Spanish is good enough you should really try to make some phone calls. Many times I have found that to get results I have to send various emails and make various calls simply to get a straight answer about anything.
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience inside Mexican institutions I'm guessing that the person you've been in touch with does not have authority to offer you a position and they are waiting for approval from the person/people who do. This often takes time. There is also the possibility that the people who have authority are waiting for re-enrollment so that they are certain they will have the money to pay you. They may also be waiting to hear something from immigration, or even another applicant they liked better than you. Things move slowly in Mexico.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: