Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching at related colleges outside the university

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eihpos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Teaching at related colleges outside the university Reply with quote

In addition to teaching in the main campus of my university, once a week I have to teach at a college in the outskirts of the city which is linked to the main uni, called “Uni name + of applied technology’ I just go along with it and from what I understand, its fairly common for university foreign teachers to have to do this. I have never really understood the situation with these colleges, I’ve never been told anything about it, and up to now, didn’t really care. However, I would like to know now, as I have to write about it! All I know is that the students are quite a bit weaker.

Does anyone know anything about these kinds of colleges? Are they for students who don’t get high enough gaokao points to get into the main campus? Will students graduating from them be less competitive in the job market? Do families of these students have to pay more?
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the questions in Job Offer Checklist (now a 'sticky') is to ask if all teaching is on one campus?
Doubtful that commuting is paid time, in which case your hourly rate takes a hit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching at related colleges outside the university Reply with quote

eihpos wrote:
In addition to teaching in the main campus of my university, once a week I have to teach at a college in the outskirts of the city which is linked to the main uni, called “Uni name + of applied technology’ I just go along with it and from what I understand, its fairly common for university foreign teachers to have to do this. I have never really understood the situation with these colleges, I’ve never been told anything about it, and up to now, didn’t really care. However, I would like to know now, as I have to write about it! All I know is that the students are quite a bit weaker.

Likely what is known as a 大专 or three year college from which the graduates either go into the workplace or do another two years at a university and get a BA. Our school is affiliated with one such place and some of those graduates come to our campus to get a higher qualification. I just finished with two classes of these students and most of them were decent and eager to learn.
geosmiley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: FYI College vs University Reply with quote

In all probability, they didn't get enough points to go to any university period hence your observed weakness.

A college in China is generally quite a bit lower than a university in China and is a separate entity even though they may share a campus and some administration. However, this is China, a big place and there may be exceptions.

I would avoid teaching at a college, my preference, for the reason you have already observed.

Does your contract mention teaching at more than one institution, if not, I don't see how they could require you to do it.
teenoso

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah , at a Uni in Jiangsu I had to take a half-hour bus ride once a week for an afternoon class in an affiliated college. My Uni had several campuses spread through the city, some for different kinds of students, and all the FTs taught at more than one campus. Teaching hours were reduced because of the extra travelling, if you taught there more than one day a week.

My understanding was that they were three year students, those who didn't make the gaokao score, but whose parents had more money.

But also one group of students started on the separate campus but if they did well enough in the first year exams they could join the four year track , and move to the main campus.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching at related colleges outside the university Reply with quote

7969 wrote:

Likely what is known as a 大专 or three year college from which the graduates either go into the workplace or do another two years at a university and get a BA. Our school is affiliated with one such place and some of those graduates come to our campus to get a higher qualification. I just finished with two classes of these students and most of them were decent and eager to learn.

This is the only post answering the OP's question 1. Questions 2, 3, and 4 are quite subjective. Maybe they never took the Gaokao. Will an employer prefer them or a Qinghua Uni grad? Do their parents pay more, compared to what?
eihpos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm not really bothered if they pay for travel or if it’s in my contract or not - things aren't that bad! Haha!

The situation sounds similar to what teeneso mentioned. I assumed it was a four year degree actually, the same as on the main campus, but it sounds like it may not be. I am quite sure that none of them plan to join the main university for a final year or anything though.

Anyway, I should really have found out more about it by now myself, I’ve been going there for a year! It just coming up as part of an MA essay topic I’m writing, and I can’t ask them personally because I’ve finished classes for the summer. It is interesting that they pay more to attend these colleges, I suspected that. I do notice they are quite low in motivation and not very interested in their major. Many seem to think they are not good students because they are not attending the main university.

If anyone know anything else about the employment prospects of these students, or anything else, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by eihpos on Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
geosmiley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: FYI Reply with quote

Even though they complete their college courses in good standing they would still have to pass a stiff test to be admitted to the university. This is a very unlikely scenario based on what I know.

If you have a child in China who for whatever reason didn't do well enough on the university exam to secure a place and you can afford it you send them to a college to grow up a little. To a large extent they are warehouses for the immature and disaffected. I recently read a BBC article and it said that 25% of all Chinese students don't do well enough to secure a place at a university. That is a staggering amount.

China surely must be among the most competitive places on earth when it comes to securing a good job. Even good university graduates struggle. Where do you think that leaves these college graduates?
cormac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colleges tend to be privately run and funded, and while associated with your university, it's going to be a separate legal entity. Be very careful here, since you could easily be accused of breaking your visa obligations.

As for students or content, colleges can cover just about anything. You could get adults (18-23), or those still in Middle/high school (14/15+). These colleges are designed to rake in the cash, and it's usually a cash cow for the university.

In any case, be careful of what's assumed, because allowing something once a week could easily turn into five times a week. Get a clear idea of what's happening from your immediate boss, and personally, I'd get a written statement officially from your university stating that the college is affiliated and you have been asked to teach there by the university itself.

You never know when the next crackdown on illegal teaching will happen and what form it will take. These colleges are probably a gray area that nobody has been bothered to close down... yet.
teenoso

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three year colleges (da zhang?) are everywhere and most are public. They are for students who didn't take the gaokao (they take a separate exam) or who failed to get the required gaokao score. Often these are vocational colleges and offer things like computing, english for hotels and tourism, etc.

Colleges affiliated to a Uni are often privately funded , charge higher tuition fees, and can be three or four year. Students here have usually failed the reach the required gaokao score, but want to graduate from Uni. If the Uni asks you to teach in an affiliated one, there is no visa issue.

My second Uni assignment in a southern province was in a private college inside the large campus of a good Uni. The college had about 20 foreign teachers , who taught every subject to English majors. My employer was the college, in the Uni, if that makes sense. And the students (who paid higher fees than regular uni students) graduated after four years from the Uni, although there was some fuss while I was there about the wording on the certificate, to make it clear that they had studied at this college , and not just at the Uni.

Because the students came from well-off families, who often had their own business, the graduates seemed to do well after graduating and had no trouble finding jobs. The students there seemed more worldly and sociable than you sometimes find in public Unis where the kids have studied relentlessly to get a good gaokao score , but know nothing of the outside world or how to interact with people.
cormac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teenoso wrote:
. If the Uni asks you to teach in an affiliated one, there is no visa issue..

Are you sure of that? The college name won't be on your contract or sponsor documents, and will be a separate legal entity to your university. [ just because these colleges haven't been targeted in the past, doesn't mean they won't be targeted in the future. ]

My advice in China is to protect yourself. If you're unsure, err on the side of caution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: