Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Authenticating Non-Criminal Record Check from a 3rd Country

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobotsRobots

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Authenticating Non-Criminal Record Check from a 3rd Country Reply with quote

Hi
I’m applying for a Z visa and have my degree, teaching cert and UK criminal record check authenticated by the Chinese embassy. So far so good. However, HR have asked me for a police check from a country I lived in 5 years ago to be authenticated. I have the certificate, but the embassy in the UK won’t authenticate it because it was issued abroad, and the country it was issued from won’t authenticate it because it was issued in the UK (it was issued at the UK embassy of this country). Any advice?!

Thanks!
teenoso

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a baffling situation to be in
say your 3rd country is Thailand....can you send the police check back there and get someone (an agent or contact) to get it authenticated by the Chinese Embassy in Bangkok?
In a business context, contracts etc are authenticated all the time , so there must be documentary agents who handle this kind of work in places like Thailand. Most countries these days do business with China and must need this service.
This is the only solution that comes to mind.
happeningthang

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something simliar happened with one of our teachers.

Simply put - you can't use the criminal check you have and you'll have to get another one issued in the country you were living in 5 years ago - then notarised and authenticated by a Chinese consulate in that country.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear for US people. A document simply has to be notarized, state authenticated, and then China authenticated. NY is good for out of state docs!
-Notary: this document is a document
-Dos: this notary is a notary
-Chinese Embassy: happy
jknops2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
To be clear for US people. A document simply has to be notarized, state authenticated, and then China authenticated. NY is good for out of state docs!
-Notary: this document is a document
-Dos: this notary is a notary
-Chinese Embassy: happy

Actually one more step, I just did this in the US this spring.

You need to get your degree copy + marriage certificate (if you have a spouse) + birth certificate (If you have any kids) notarized, then authenticated by the state that issued them, then authenticated by the US State department, then authenticated by the Chinese embassy.

Also note that that there is a specific form that has to be attached, not just a stamp, like most local notary people do. So, best is to take the documents to the Secretary of State office of the state that issued these forms and have them notarize and authenticate the documents. My degree is from a different state, but my current state was willing to both notarize a copy and authenticate it. NOTE they do not have to do this, and you might have to get this done in the state that you got your degree, the same for your marriage and any birth certificates. And note you need to be present in person for notarizing.

In addition, you need your FBI background check, then authenticated by the US State Department, then by the Chinese embassy.

Took me 6 months to get this all done.

Good luck everyone, last time I applied for a Z visa in 2012 it was a lot easier.
wuliuchiba

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need an FBI check; that can take up to 3-4 months and you need fingerprints. Most states in the U.S., you can do a background check online for a fee. Or if you're in your hometown, just stop by your local police headquarters and have them do a local check for the city/county. It takes 5 minutes and it's free. Either local or state non-criminal certificate will be accepted by the Chinese consulate. I did a local check last year when I was at home, but I may have to pay for a state check this time since I'm not going home this summer and I'm not sure I can get a local check done online.
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Authenticating Non-Criminal Record Check from a 3rd Coun Reply with quote

RobotsRobots wrote:
Hi
I’m applying for a Z visa and have my degree, teaching cert and UK criminal record check authenticated by the Chinese embassy. So far so good. However, HR have asked me for a police check from a country I lived in 5 years ago to be authenticated. I have the certificate, but the embassy in the UK won’t authenticate it because it was issued abroad, and the country it was issued from won’t authenticate it because it was issued in the UK (it was issued at the UK embassy of this country). Any advice?!

Thanks!

Police checks from previous countries?

Is this common / the new normal when applying for a Z visa? Sad

If so.. up to date ones?
isitts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuliuchiba wrote:
You don't need an FBI check; that can take up to 3-4 months and you need fingerprints.

It only takes about a week if you use a channeler.

wuliuchiba wrote:
Or if you're in your hometown, just stop by your local police headquarters and have them do a local check for the city/county. It takes 5 minutes and it's free.

Local checks sometimes require documents that prove you’ve lived there a while...which, if you haven’t, could cause difficulties.
isitts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Authenticating Non-Criminal Record Check from a 3rd Coun Reply with quote

bule_boy69 wrote:
Police checks from previous countries?

Is this common / the new normal when applying for a Z visa? Sad

If so.. up to date ones?

Seems like it would be a new policy. I worked in Shenzhen 2016-17. I had lived in k-land for the better part of the previous 6 years. No background check from there was necessary. Maybe it depends where in China you’re applying for. Like...Suzhou didn’t want to accept a national background check from my home country, but Shenzhen was fine with it.
isitts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happeningthang wrote:
Something simliar happened with one of our teachers.

Simply put...you'll have to get another one issued in the country you were living in 5 years ago - then notarised and authenticated by a Chinese consulate in that country.

Ok, but...logistics? How does one get the background check from a foreign country they no longer live in?
isitts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Authenticating Non-Criminal Record Check from a 3rd Coun Reply with quote

RobotsRobots wrote:
HR have asked me for a police check from a country I lived in 5 years ago to be authenticated. I have the certificate, but the embassy in the UK won’t authenticate it because it was issued abroad, and the country it was issued from won’t authenticate it because it was issued in the UK (it was issued at the UK embassy of this country). Any advice?!

Thanks!

I’m pretty sure one the places I’d appled for in China wanted a background check from K**** since I’d lived there longer than I’d been in the US for the previous 6 years. I just told them it would not be logistically possible for me to obtain the check as I was no longer living in the country. And that was the end of it. I mean, seriously, I would have needed one of my former co-teachers to do all the legwork and/or fly over there to get it done...which is ridiculous. In your case...if it’s been 5 years...I don’t see how they can expect it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: