Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public school/Teach Taiwan Recruiting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
claka77

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Public school/Teach Taiwan Recruiting Reply with quote

I'm a certified k-12 teacher in Australia who's previously taught EFL in China and South Korea (I've since got my masters in ps teaching since returning to Sydney, I also have a tefl certificate). I've been offered public ESL school work by Teach Taiwan however the salary appears low ; I maybe wrong but wasn't it much higher at some point (85000-90000twd, maybe i'm wrong)? I know buxibans pay around 55000-65000 I think.

The offer for me is 70000twd + 5000 twd for accommodation. Has anyone here worked at a public school or for this recruiter (are they ok)? I know I can consider international school positions however I have no desire to do so (workload and behaviour management has driven me crazy in Sydney however esl with kids is fine). For those who have taught in China and Taiwan (or Korea and Taiwan); is Taiwan more relaxing/intense?
I appreciate any advice as I'm also considering offers in China and Saudi Arabia with adults (I'm only considering Taiwan as it's somewhere new).
yurii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a late reply but when I was browsing Taiwanese agencies this seemed to be the going rate (69,000 + 5,000 accommodation allowance).

Quote:
I may be wrong but wasn't it much higher at some point (85000-90000twd, maybe i'm wrong)? I know buxibans pay around 55000-65000 I think.

I remember contacting an agency and saw a position like that and when I asked he simply said that job had been taken and I didn't see much more with that salary.

I went onto a Taiwanese forum and it seems even though it would be a public school, holidays are crap. Not sure how many you get in Australia but it's a lot fewer holidays than I currently get and this put me off. The whole advantage for me working in a school environment (as opposed to a language mill) is that you get good holidays making up for all the work in term time.

It's been over 2 weeks since your post, what did you end up doing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: