Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Male/Female ratio of teachers??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenHorse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Male/Female ratio of teachers?? Reply with quote

I've noticed almost all the blogs, youtube channels, and frequent posters on the subject of teaching overseas are male. There are definitely women doing it too, but much fewer seem to keep it as a lifestyle long-term.

As a guy who wants to teach overseas forever, what are my chances of finding female ESL'ers to date, get into relationships with, and potentially marry someday?

Yes, I realize it's still a ways off, but is the situation as dismal as it seems? I want to see the world, but not as a foreveralone lol.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the understanding this is not a dating site and that postings focusing on dating here are routinely deleted, this thread is available for discussion on the thread topic, as stated in its title.

Please advise the Mod Team by PM or Report Post of any and all off-topic or derailing postings.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is probably a matter of location. I think east Asia is definitely male majority. What about Europe/South America?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenHorse wrote:
I've noticed almost all the blogs, youtube channels, and frequent posters on the subject of teaching overseas are male. There are definitely women doing it too, but much fewer seem to keep it as a lifestyle long-term.

Your focus on ESL is limiting. Plus, some posters don't publicly disclose whether they're male or female.

There are a lot of female expat teachers -- not all of them in ESL if you consider the number of US/UK/IB private international schools as well as universities. Additionally, foreigners -- male and female -- work in other industries.

Stick to teaching in major cities if you want to meet large numbers of expats of both genders.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience of living in China, particularly in a big city like Shanghai, there are loads of female expat teachers (many of whom would be only delighted to meet somebody such as yourself I'm sure).
On the flipside there's a huge imbalance when it comes to Chinese female/male teachers. Some schools possibly prefer hiring males due to this but there are loads of positions where a female foreign teacher would be the preferred candidate.
GreenHorse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is reassuring, thanks. I was worried it would be more akin to the military, where you're posted overseas and have a family back home that you never see lol.

Teaching overseas is becoming more realistic for me now, thanks everyone for the info!
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've TEFLed in quite a few countries now and, from what I've seen, I'd say males are overly represented in the industry. Personally, I suspect that has a lot to do with men just being more open to leaving their family and friends in order to try their luck living and working in foreign lands. Whether that's genetic or environmental is open to debate and, of course, one must be careful when it comes to generalizations. There are plenty of female TEFLers out there, but, I think that might be a significant factor. Anyway, just my two cents.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the places I worked in Japan, new arrivals were fairly evenly split, but the long-termers were mostly male. In Ecuador, there seem to be slightly more women in the new arrivals and also for the long-term. I'd guess specific jobs or even institutions are as big a factor as the country. For example, even in Japan the international schools tended to recruit women for kindergarten and elementary school positions. In Ecuador, English departments at universities have noticeably more female staff.
The_Big_White_Elephant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at a private language school in a second-tier city in China for one year, and roughly half the teachers at my school were female.
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Latin America among native speakers there's a mix, maybe 60% male 40% female. But among local teachers of English it's like 80% female!
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching languages is often stereotyped as a female pursuit. In many places there are more females than males in this work.
yurii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Teaching languages is often stereotyped as a female pursuit. In many places there are more females than males in this work.

Well, in my limited experience it is true. In my 2 PGCE placements in the UK for example:

School 1: 5 females, 2 males
School 2: 7-8 females, 0 males

(I am not counting myself as I was just doing my placement)
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: hmmmmmmm Reply with quote

90% male long-term I'd say with a few regional variations ie the UAE. 95% of the guys I know have 'foreign' wives, much more interesting lol.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too moved in that world where Anglophone husbands had wives from more "exotic" backgrounds . Most exotic was in the compound for foreign employees of Saudi Arabian Airlines in Jeddah (Saudia City in Khaledeya) but KFUPM had a fair number too.
yurii

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmmmmmm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
90% male long-term I'd say with a few regional variations ie the UAE. 95% of the guys I know have 'foreign' wives, much more interesting lol.

I guess the difference here is more guys take the plunge and move abroad. I'm sure if we were to look at MFL in the UK we'd see a vast majority are females. I also remember in the school I did my observation in pre-PGCE that all teachers in the MFL department were female except for one guy.

By the way, just checked online and according to the British Council 80%+ MFL teachers are female.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: