Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IPA Saudi Arabia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Constant and continuous negativity in virtually every posting a member makes across all our forums is not welcome here, as is the case with using this board for pursuit of personal agendas of any description.

If this continues, the maker(s) of such postings will not.
forumchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend working for IPA through contractors. They are sacking ICEAT staff for no reason. Jordanian guy is in charge of the observation. He has no clue about teaching. He is imposing his own archaic style on everyone else. He doesn't recognise the modern methods of ESL teaching. If you can avoid this place at all costs.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I know about IPA, is that which comes in a glass.
cnthaiksarok

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdurian wrote:
The only thing I know about IPA, is that which comes in a glass.

Don't be bitter, be hoppy. Razz
revilo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Abdullah sad Reply with quote

I landed in Riyadh and spent my week in the IPA apt.
It brought back bad memories of the apt. that ACK used for new teachers.
That apt. had empty syringes in the parking lot due to the steroid users at the gym next door.

The IPA apt. has the filthiest bathtub I've ever seen, although the bathroom is spacious. IPA is out of the compound business and they are offering a housing allowance, which I lose if I don't jump on it.

They are also subcontracting a lot of teachers. My guess is that the glory days of KSA are long gone. Sad
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Abdullah sad Reply with quote

revilo wrote:

That apt. had empty syringes in the parking lot due to the steroid users at the gym next door.

Shocked They must be able to get the steroids over the counter at the small pharmacy down the street.
revilo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend working for IPA through contractors. They are sacking ICEAT staff for no reason. Jordanian guy is in charge of the observation. He has no clue about teaching. He is imposing his own archaic style on everyone else. He doesn't recognise the modern methods of ESL teaching. If you can avoid this place at all costs.

Yup, I can verify this. IPA sacked a bunch of contractors and one teacher even planned on this by using profane language in class so that firing was the only option. If you get fired, IPA has to provide airfare to home of record. The Jordanian is the only one who does observations, which means he is limited to the number that he can do. He has the ear of the Dept Chair and does the reporting directly to him.

(MOD edit to correct quote)
ginger123

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I heard IPA Dammam is not bad, workload is heavy but good staff especially expats. Money wise is the same, not great but that is everywhere putting in mind salaries have been cut in a lot of institutions .

I don't know about Riyadh but it seems like a bad place to be now!
sheikhitnow

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salary of 14,000+? With two MAs I got 13,000 plus free furnished housing at IPA in Jeddah--back in 1994-96.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No use bragging about the "good old days" LOL. They are dead and gone. Pay and benefits went down the toilet a few years ago and are only getting worse... along with conditions.

VS
sheikhitnow

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost, VS. Qassim is gone now for westerners; they have fired all the westerners except one without end-of-service gratuities. Two guys had been working for them for 12 years and earning well over $100,000 a year with the usual benefits, free housing, company car shared by only one person (if at all). They lost their 12 years' worth of gratuities--which were to have been calculated on the latest salary--and other bonuses. I retired in 2015 with benefits after six years. But some managed to get work at Blue Force near Khobar or somewhere at about 27,000 Riyals/mo. plus shared villa and car. Apparently there's no unusual madness by Saudi employment standards. Blue Force seems to be among the very last at that attractive level. You know, it's not that the Saudis have become poorer to the extent that they have to pay expats hogwon-like salaries. The fall--and now rise again--of oil prices doesn't make the old salaries unaffordable. They just use that to take advantage of the fact that EFLers are a dime a dozen, and newbies are either desperate or starry-eyed.
KSAbound

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall last year that IPA in Riyadh offered very low housing allowance but was moving to a compound this year and would provide housing on the compound instead. Anyone know if that happened? Also, I tried searching for a direct hire ad and haven’t been able to locate one for this year. Anyone know?
sheikhitnow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there still an IPA Jeddah? I was there in '94 to '96 and we were treated well. The two Saudi managers had U.S. MBAs. We had free street-level housing, not a housing allowance. My experience over 29 years in five countries is that people with an ESL/EFL education are the worst managers in the world. By the way, I find it unconscionable that salaries are the same or less now than they were 23 years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: