Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Russia World Cup 2018 - anyone going?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elkotik

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcvilaseca wrote:
Russia is a country that for me has lost all respect due to its lack of tolerance and discrimination. I really like this kind of events but I'm not going to spend my time or my money in a country like that.

But would you be willing to visit places like the Middle East? China? Korea? USA? all do the more or less the same thing.
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIFA and Russia are perfect for each other, corrupt cesspools. I won't waste my money attending any WC matches and will be quite happy to watch them on TV for free.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/apr/24/russia-neo-nazi-football-hooligans-world-cup

“It was like nothing I’ve ever seen before,” Ch Supt Steve Neill, of Northumbria police, one of several officers deployed from England to aid French police that day, told Sky News. “The Russians came with serious intent to carry out barbaric violence. They were highly organised, very effective. We saw football hooliganism on a different level.”

“I don’t see anything wrong with the fans fighting,” tweeted Igor Lebedev, deputy chairman of the Russian parliament. “Quite the opposite: well done lads, keep it up!”

For Nikitin, hooliganism is inextricable from far-right activism. “If we kill one immigrant every day, that’s 365 immigrants in a year.”
twowheel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: "They wanted Zlatan, so I gave them Zlatan" Reply with quote

Zlatan is going.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/zlatan-ibrahimovic-contradicts-sweden-insists-12437445
twowheel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One week...

I found a very nice cafe that will be open all night showing all the matches. I can just go there every evening and watch all the matches, in my mind that beats the headache of going to Russia and paying a mint just to brag that I saw some matches live.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twowheel wrote:
One week...

I found a very nice cafe that will be open all night showing all the matches. I can just go there every evening and watch all the matches, in my mind that beats the headache of going to Russia and paying a mint just to brag that I saw some matches live.

Madness going there imo! Especially looking forward to the second round matches beginning on June 30th, the first day of my hols, to relax wth a few beers Smile
Pity so many of the games are 2am kick offs though, ahwell prob be baking hot and best to sleep during the day anyway Wink
kev20

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there ever been a safer World Cup? What happened to the 'festival of violence' we were promised? Wink
twowheel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev20 wrote:
Has there ever been a safer World Cup? What happened to the 'festival of violence' we were promised? Wink

I have been waiting for news reports of the "festival of violence" too.

Still waiting...

Good to see.

Russia World Cup 2018...who's going? Looks like the Germans and die Mannschaft didn't go.

twowheel
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Russians can't afford any more debacles right now, and I suspect the authorities are keeping a close watch on known "ultras" for the duration. One thing about authoritarian countries, they know how to keep a lid on violence unlike other countries where every move the police make will be scrutinized to the nth degree. Good tournament so far as well!
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcvilaseca wrote:
Russia is a country that for me has lost all respect due to its lack of tolerance and discrimination. I really like this kind of events but I'm not going to spend my time or my money in a country like that.

If you try hard enough, you can get offended by any country for some reason or other. In fact, these days it seems that that's what most people want to do. On the other hand, you could suspend your own "lack of tolerance and discrimination", and enjoy a beautiful country with a rich history and wonderful people ... the same people you are insulting by tarring them with the same brush as their leadership.
Maybe that's not "cool" enough, though! I sometimes despair of the regressive world we've become recently ... even more laughable as the chief complainers think themselves "progressive".
rioux

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think having the teams that lose the game before the Finals play each other for 3rd place. A loss in that game means they would exit the World Cup with 2 straight losses despite the fact that they advanced far more than almost every other country.
twowheel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like France went. Nice final.

See you in Qatar in 2022?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: