Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Returning to Japan? Worth it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBQchips

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Returning to Japan? Worth it? Reply with quote

Hi. I lived in Japan 2011-2015 doing ALT work. It drove me crazy for all of the reasons I'm sure you're familiar with. My social life and stuff were good and I still have good friends there now. But Low wage, little room for growth, felt like an undignified English monkey took its toll. I speak Japanese but have no actual skills that transferred to anything else but teaching and all my friends in similar situations who ended up being OLs just ended up being mistreated even worse than as English teachers.

So I decided to go back home to better myself and see if I could go back to Japan under better terms and find better work. I've been working as a teacher, currently work in public school with a teaching cert, and am set to complete my masters in educational leadership next year. That would mean 8 years exp with teaching license and masters.

So many things point to japan not being a place for reaching anymore. Do you think it is possible to find good paying job at an international school that brings personal satisfaction? Would the wages be OK? Or is it just way too competitive because of the amount of qualified people already on the ground? I would prefer to NOT live in Kanto area. I prefer Nagoya/Chuubu area but am willing to go further west or south from there.

What do you think? Japan again or just... take myself elsewhere? Thanks anyone who can chime in. I'd also like to hear your own experiences!
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for work and apply, but yes it really is very competitive.
There is less turnover too.
Kanto is the only part of the country with any growth.
BBQchips

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I figured Kanto region was where ti was going to be most poppin but if I widen my search outside of Nagoya to Kansai or Chuugoku region there should be something, right?

Anyone here currently working at an international school that can chime in on hiring practices? I'm looking at international school job boards/recruiters but it would be nice to hear anyone's thoughts on how things are on the ground rn.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Returning to Japan? Worth it? Reply with quote

BBQchips wrote:
i've been working as a teacher, currently work in public school with a teaching cert, and am set to complete my masters in educational leadership next year. That would mean 8 years exp with teaching license and masters.

What are you licensed to teach?
BBQchips

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe that's the bad part. It's not competitive like if I teach STEM.

English and Social Studies. I've been teaching Special Ed and am the IEP care coordinator so I have exp in that but not certified
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you plan to utilize your Master's in Educational Leadership in Japan and beyond?
BBQchips

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I like being in the classroom. I can see myself doing it for a few more years and then taking more responsibilities in school like Dept head. The job I'm eyeing is eventually curriculum coordinator. If I can't find something in Nagoya or the other areas I said I was looking around at other countries as well because I have a Wanderlust. If I can't go back to jp I want to be doing more.

I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too. Is it too much to want a fulfilling job and be in a place I like?
kzjohn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQchips wrote:

Anyone here currently working at an international school that can chime in on hiring practices? I'm looking at international school job boards/recruiters but it would be nice to hear anyone's thoughts on how things are on the ground rn.

You're on the wrong board. There is nobody like that here. You need to exit the ESL reality, and re-emerge in the international school one.

It's out there, you're just looking in the wrong place. Try looking at "list of international schools in japan" on wikipedia and going from there, or sticking with those other jobs boards.
yurii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQchips wrote:
Thanks. I figured Kanto region was where ti was going to be most poppin but if I widen my search outside of Nagoya to Kansai or Chuugoku region there should be something, right?

This is a TEFL forum. Better to go to an actual international school site! Such as http://internationalschoolsreview.com or https://community.tes.com/forums/teaching-overseas.64/ for example.
BBQchips

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all of the feedback
thomthom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The situation for English teachers is, of course, closely connected to the general economic situation. When I first came to Japan 7 years ago, I had this idea that it was a futuristic economic powerhouse. From what I've since learned and experienced, however, decades of stagnation lead almost to the impression that Japan is a developed nation slowly regressing into a developing one.
Indeed, the amount of cash you can actually pocket after tax & expenses is probably now comparable to working in Thailand or Vietnam. I'm sure for anyone who was here in 1998, much of Tokyo (especially planned areas like Odaiba) would still have felt relatively shiny, new, and modern. These days the 60s/70s/80s architecture and infrastructure is all rather crumbling.
rxk22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomthom wrote:
The situation for English teachers is, of course, closely connected to the general economic situation. When I first came to Japan 7 years ago, I had this idea that it was a futuristic economic powerhouse. From what I've since learned and experienced, however, decades of stagnation lead almost to the impression that Japan is a developed nation slowly regressing into a developing one.
Indeed, the amount of cash you can actually pocket after tax & expenses is probably now comparable to working in Thailand or Vietnam. I'm sure for anyone who was here in 1998, much of Tokyo (especially planned areas like Odaiba) would still have felt relatively shiny, new, and modern. These days the 60s/70s/80s architecture and infrastructure is all rather crumbling.

I agree and disagree. Japan has too much for it to maintain. Too many small towns being propped up by pork, has made for some holes or blindspots in how things are maintained. There are a lot of parks that are overgrown and the equipment is long gone or is rotten.
Many buildings were built during the boom, and not as much seemingly has been built since.
With the pop decline, there are a lot of vacant buildings which adds to the sight blight imho.
Japan still has money, but that is increasingly concentrated in the major metro areas. While the countryside continues is decline due to a lack in any real investment besides pork.

Go to the east coast of Chiba. There are a ton of resort hotels that probably looked great 20 years ago, now many of them are old and run down looking, and some are closed as well.
kzjohn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:

.... Too many small towns being propped up by pork, ...

While the countryside continues is (sic) decline due to a lack in any real investment besides pork.

Can you give examples of that "pork"? A few such towns or places in the countryside?

Would that be too much to ask?

I guess I don't see how that pork is working, if indeed "parks are overgrown", with "equipment long gone and rotten."

Things look pretty nice around here, so I'm wondering where/how you formed that impression--the reason for asking you for examples.
rxk22

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kzjohn wrote:
rxk22 wrote:

.... Too many small towns being propped up by pork, ...

While the countryside continues is (sic) decline due to a lack in any real investment besides pork.

Can you give examples of that "pork"? A few such towns or places in the countryside?

Would that be too much to ask?

I guess I don't see how that pork is working, if indeed "parks are overgrown", with "equipment long gone and rotten."

Things look pretty nice around here, so I'm wondering where/how you formed that impression--the reason for asking you for examples.

No, as you're asking to be argumentative, and not to further this discussion. You only started coming after me lately and it's basically harassment. Please stop. I'm reporting you, and will keep doing so til you can be civil again
Terrisko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Japan's economy Reply with quote

thomthom wrote:
From what I've since learned and experienced, however, decades of stagnation lead almost to the impression that Japan is a developed nation slowly regressing into a developing one.

I'm sure for anyone who was here in 1998, much of Tokyo (especially planned areas like Odaiba) would still have felt relatively shiny, new, and modern. These days the 60s/70s/80s architecture and infrastructure is all rather crumbling.

I can confirm that from experience, Japan is no longer what it once was. If this reverse trend continues, then the Japanese economy will soon be back where it was around 1960. Also for me it's very sad to see how everything changes to the negative. Why this is so, there are certainly several reasons. Of course, there have been changes in the decades before, but it's possible that the catastrophes of 2011 have led to a paradigm shift in Japan's society, which is now having an impact on all aspects of life. But what I miss most today is the refreshing economic patriotism that once made Japan great. Only when the well-known attribute "Made in Japan" returns, things will improve again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: