Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too late to find something else?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tried to extend my RP I found you need to have at least 30 days remaining on it when you extend it. I found working with the PSB to be ok, it is just sometimes they need a lot more photocopies of things than you prepared. In my experience, they are nice enough to help you get the needed photocopies.
Babala

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your new school has already applied for your FEC so you cannot apply for another one unless the school agrees to cancel it. The school has paid the necessary fees to do that besides getting teachers to more remote locations isn't easy so I highly doubt they will be willing to do so.

As for asking for additional salary, I'll be honest. If I had a teacher agree to a salary and then later tell me they wanted more because they didn't realize the cost of living in the city I would tell them no.
teenoso

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP said they had only just started the paperwork, so probably still to do the FEC. From memory when transferring RP(work) to RP(work) the FEC was done when I arrived in the new city.
If they had assured him that the cost of living was low then he'd have a good case for a raise, but most FAOs are totally inflexible , in my experience, and won't bend or change the contract.
They might if he threatened to walk, but you need a good stash of money and a plan to do that.
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babala wrote:

As for asking for additional salary, I'll be honest. If I had a teacher agree to a salary and then later tell me they wanted more because they didn't realize the cost of living in the city I would tell them no.

Babala wrote:

Keep in mind that this is a tiny tier 888 city. It's not like Xi'an or Qingdao or Chongqing where it's easy to research the standard of living. The best I could do to prepare, other than asking the same people interviewing me, is to look up restaurant prices on Meituan and other delivery apps, which aren't always a great indicator of the whole situation.

At my first school, I and the only other foreign teacher did manage to negotiate a higher salary in the middle of the term. The FAO was a very reasonable, sympathetic guy, and in these small cities that are more desperate to draw in foreign teachers, it's worth it for them to make some concessions, especially if they haven't updated the salary for years.

Anyway, I went back and explained my reservations, and they're going to discuss it with the president. If nothing comes of it, I'll request a shorter contract.
Babala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ou agreed to a contract without doing enough research (did you post up requests for info about the city or did you just google and ask the school Rolling Eyes ) and now you have decided to either blackmail them (it's too late to find another teacher so they must accept your assistance to pay you more money) or bail on them early and also leaving them without a teacher.

Where is the responsibility? You agreed to the contract. If the school did this everyone would be joining in for the kill. Why should teachers be held to lesser standards?
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what? Sometimes you can do your research and still turn up empty-handed or wrong. You can eye-roll all you want, but it happens.

Anyway, the school isn't suffering from a lack of foreign teachers. The rest are all Peace Corps volunteers.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wawaguagua wrote:

Anyway, the school isn't suffering from a lack of foreign teachers. The rest are all Peace Corps volunteers.

I have mixed feeling about the Peace Corps.

I think it is great when they help the truly needy.

But, in China, it is often the situation where the students are asked to pay for having the Peace Corps teachers, and the bosses pocket all the money.

So, a school spoiled by having Peace Corps teachers will often expect non-Peace Corps teachers to work for free, or almost free.
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerwilco wrote:
wawaguagua wrote:

I have mixed feeling about the Peace Corps.

I think it is great when they help the truly needy.

But, in China, it is often the situation where the students are asked to pay for having the Peace Corps teachers, and the bosses pocket all the money.

So, a school spoiled by having Peace Corps teachers will often expect non-Peace Corps teachers to work for free, or almost free.

I do think that's part of the issue here. There are a lot of out-of-class requirements that aren't stated in the contract that I just became aware of today, including two hours of weekly library reading, starting an extra-curricular club from scratch (which must meet for at least two hours a week), giving a public lecture once a semester, and observing other teachers ten hours each semester.

In class, I must make lesson plans each week and write feedback after each class, to be handed in and reviewed at the end of the term - My first time to see this in a university job. Each course is also expected to have both a mid-term and a final exam, which is a new experience for me (I'm used to 70/30 final exam - participation).

What does the contract say? It says I must hold two office works a week, but nothing about using them as an extra reading class. It says nothing about the other requirements - Just that when the school holds special events, like the speech competition, I might be required to help out. That's no biggie. That's been in all my contracts, and I've always been paid overtime for it. Will this school consider it overtime? Not so sure. The club, the observing other teachers, the lesson planning, the lecture - None of that is in the contract.

Not sure what to do. My previous jobs just required me to go in and teach however I felt best. One school had me do an English Corner, but it was always planned together with the students. Minimalist, but I was very well-liked by the students, the Department, and the FAO in both jobs. Peace Corps members might put up with all this out of a sense of civic duty, but I'm just a regular guy who was hoping to hang on one more year to prepare and apply for grad school. Now there's no time for that.
twowheel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wawaguagua,

I'm curious. Which province is the school in? How many of the foreign teachers are Peace Corps volunteers? Are there any non-Peace Corps foreign teachers there?

twowheel
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twowheel wrote:
wawaguagua,

I'm curious. Which province is the school in? How many of the foreign teachers are Peace Corps volunteers? Are there any non-Peace Corps foreign teachers there?

twowheel

Check your PM box.
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE

So now I have to start my whole visa process all over again with a new Z visa.

I don't know what happened exactly, but after getting all of the paperwork the school asked me for and double-checking to make sure I prepared everything before I even left my old job, the FAO asked me to contact my previous FAO for a recommendation letter that she didn't know we needed.

We got that done after a few days... But I was already sitting around there waiting for an entire week before she asked me for it, and in the long time that I've been waiting around here, they only planned to bring my documents to the Foreign Expert's Bureau in the provincial capital next week.

In the meantime, my RP was replaced with a "humanitarian" visa as my RP reached its limit, but the humanitarian visa only lasts 30 days, and because the FEB requires applications to be submitted *at least* 30 days beforehand, they flat-out told the FAO that I need to start over.

The FAO is applying for a new Z visa that can be processed from Hong Kong, and has offered to pay airfare to and from Shenzhen (an offer which hasn't yet been approved by the director). I'm not holding my breath that it can be done from HK, as that's exactly what my first FAO promised five years ago before sending me a letter that *must be taken to the applicant's home country.*

Anyway, considering I haven't been thrilled with the salary and the all the weird requirements from the English Department that aren't in the contract and weren't mentioned in the interview, I'm wondering if I should just give up. I'm hesitant because I'm not sure what else I can do with just a 20+ day humanitarian visa and a lot of luggage.
Elicit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If starting over again is the only option on the table, i’d try finding another position to start over with. Shouldn’t be hard to find something better.
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem with starting over is figuring out where to store all my stuff during the waiting process and how to get it all to the new location.
teenoso

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have contact with the other schools you mentioned , I would also suggest you see whether their offers are still open.Your present situation does not sound good, and getting worse.
On the question of luggage , these practical problems can always be solved. Ask a shipping/forwarding company to hold your stuff while you negotiate with a new school and make arrangements to move.

If you press ahead in your current place, re the z visa ,

I will also go to Hong Kong (from the mainland) soon to get mine there - the visa itself costs around 1000 HKD, depending on your nationality, so I would ask your school for that too.
And for hotel costs , since the school put you in this situation. Standard processing is four days in HK, so you will be there at least three nights.

The z visa process is now online (everywhere?) so I think as long as the school makes clear in their application that the z visa will be processed in HK, and the barcode can be read as such by the 'Consulate' in HK , you might be OK. But who knows.

So far the school has given me one document (in chinese) which is a 'notification of work visa application for a foreigner', so not a 'letter of invitation', but the process has changed since I last went to HK five years ago. I would be interested to know what paperwork you receive for the z visa.
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the FAO suggested the school would reimburse my expenses to go wherever I need to go to get my new Z visa, I decided to stick with it to see what happens. I don't have any better choice - I'm on a one-month humanitarian visa and wherever I go, I still need to get a new Z visa from scratch. It's best to stick with the one promising to pay for the expenses.

I just realized, however, that the FAO's idea that the school will reimburse me is all heresay - It has to be approved by her "director," who is away on a business trip with an uncertain return date. She expects me to wait until after everything is finished, after the holiday, and *then* discuss reimbursement. I clarified that there's no guarantee that the director will agree to reimburse the cost. She confirmed.

My blood is boiling. I selected this school because she promised everything could be done in-country and that time was enough to get it done. We discussed it in great detail before I finally agreed. I worked hard to get all of the paperwork she needed me to get. I did everything she asked.

This is all the school's mistake. She seems to feel guilty about it, hence the suggestion that the school can reimburse my expenses for the new Z visa, but she won't directly admit her fault. If, by the time the paperwork is finished to take to the embassy, the school can't officially promise me reimbursement for the expenses occured to me, is it okay if I just give up? The school already wasted my summer holiday... I wouldn't want to work for an employer that wastes my money, too.

These days, I can't sleep well, and I find it hard to enjoy anything with all these uncertainties in my head. My mind feels frozen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: