Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Letter of Recommendation Tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Letter of Recommendation Tips Reply with quote

Hi,

I am an Instructor Supervisor at my current job for the past two years. I was told this morning that for now on, I am not allowed to use my company's letterhead on Letters of Reference or Experience.

How do I write Letters of Reference for colleagues of mine that worked under me without offical letterhead on the top? Wouldn't employers or Head Teachers look at a blank word document with what I wrote and junk it?

How do people in this forum deal with things like this?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always create your own official looking letterhead on your computer. LOL

Since letters of experience are the standard and required for all Middle East jobs, that should definitely be on the official letterhead of the employer. I would fight for that right.

Letters of recommendation can often be personal letters.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sole purpose of a certificate or letter of experience is to confirm Joe Schmo worked at said company as an English instructor from start date to end date, yada yada. This document generally comes from HR or management -- those with access to the company's employee records. Mine came from my vice dean. Although you're a supervisor, you're not a permanent employee, which is likely why you've been told to refrain from using company letterhead.

Ways around this...

If someone you supervise asks you to be a character or professional reference for future jobs, simply respond back (preferably via a follow up email) with your acknowledgement and include your official title and personal and work contact info. That way, the teacher will have your info if prospective employers need to contact you directly.

Alternately, if you do formal classroom observations (and you should as a supervisor), ensure that the form you use is on company letterhead and that there's a signature line with your title and work email. Include a progress or performance section on the form where you can write how well Joe Schmo is doing over all. (Obviously, someone with a less than stellar classroom observation shouldn't be asking you to be their reference.) Joe gets the original signed copy and another goes to his personnel file. You also keep a copy to refer to if you get contacted by prospective employers inquiring about Joe's work ethic and teaching skills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: