Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American University in Dubai and Khalifa University

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeoulTrain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: American University in Dubai and Khalifa University Reply with quote

Hello.

Does anyone have any recent information about either the American University in Dubai or Khalifa University? Both have posted job announcements for assistant-professor positions online (http://jobs.chronicle.com/jobs/0000790834-01[/url] and https://khalifauniversity.peopleadmin.com/postings/921).

I've searched this forum for information about these universities and read the previous posts, but I'm wondering if anyone has any updates. Any information -- even of the I-heard-it-from-a-friend-who-heard-it-from-a-friend variety -- would be greatly appreciated. Smile

Thank you very much.
uaeobserver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AUD isn't horrible ---- but you need to understand something ----
Leadership is Arab --- and is going to stay that way.

In general - with a new Minister of higher ed - seems everything is shifting away from western philosophies AND management ---- to western accreditation (and that's about where it ends).

Oh to be a registered peer reviewer!

They get the red carpet every few years.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that they can get western accreditation while maintaining Arab-style management.
SeoulTrain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the response.

My hunch was that AUD wasn't horrible because no one seems to have trashed it here. That said, no one's said anything really positive either. After reading the various posts in this UAE forum, I'll probably just apply to only a handful of universities (that is, if they advertise any jobs for the next academic year).

I'd love to know more about the new Minister of Higher Education and the shift away from Western management and philosophies if you feel like sharing.

Again, thank you for your original response.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most common reason that places have very few posts here is that they have few or no Westerners. AUD started out some years back with quite a few and after a meltdown, most of them left... and the rest not long after. That is when the posts here pretty much stopped.

This is not meant as a criticism, but just the reality that not many Asians or "Other Arabs" come here to complain. Not that they don't usually have good reason to complain, but they tend to accept the situation they are in as long as their pay comes through.

VS
SeoulTrain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, VS. Your explanation makes a lot of sense, and I enjoy reading your posts in this forum. Smile

What does pique my curiosity is that, according to the AUD website, almost everyone on the English Department faculty is Western. Ordinarily I would assume that they must be happy with their jobs, but I've read elsewhere that the annual salary there is comparable to annual U.S. salaries ($30K-$40K). It hardly seems worth it, especially if there's a heavy courseload and a lot of students in each class.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeoulTrain wrote:
I've read elsewhere that the annual salary there is comparable to annual U.S. salaries ($30K-$40K).

I doubt those are current salaries. What's the source of this info?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeoulTrain wrote:
What does pique my curiosity is that, according to the AUD website, almost everyone on the English Department faculty is Western. Ordinarily I would assume that they must be happy with their jobs, but I've read elsewhere that the annual salary there is comparable to annual U.S. salaries ($30K-$40K). It hardly seems worth it, especially if there's a heavy courseload and a lot of students in each class.

I looked at the list of the teacher in the IEP program... a very short list because from their ads, it appears that they use mainly adjunct teachers - thus part timers on an hourly pay. It looked to me that one was a Westerner whereas the others appear to be European or Arab-American (first language unknown). Nothing at all wrong with that, of course.

I would expect the pay to be on the low end, so $30-40K would about the best I would expect. Do remember that there are no taxes, so this is take home pay (unlike back in the US where taxes take a big chunk). Also you normally get housing and medical covered... along with your flight tickets.

But, as I said, their employment page suggested that they weren't hiring any foreign hire expats at this time.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I looked at the list of the teacher in the IEP program... a very short list because from their ads, it appears that they use mainly adjunct teachers - thus part timers on an hourly pay.

That makes sense---they only list four instructors.
SeoulTrain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi VS and Nomad,

Thank you very much for your responses. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place on the AUD website. What is the IEP?

Here's the AUD job notice that first caught my eye. I just now noticed that it's not tenure track, so I'm rapidly losing interest:
http://jobs.chronicle.com/jobs/0000796014-01.

Because I was initially interested in that notice, I went to the School of Arts and Sciences page of the AUD website and found this faculty roster. It looks like a lot of (mostly?) Westerners: http://www.aud.edu/AcademicAffairs/ArtsAndSciences/index.asp

As for the salary info, I just found this post dated from earlier this year: http://jobs.chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,128275.0.html.

I hope it's not out of line for me to post all these links. If it's a violation of posting etiquette, please tell me, and I'll stop. Smile

Also, now that I've done a little more research on AUD, I don't think I'll be applying there unless someone tells me it's a great gig.

Thanks again. Have a nice weekend!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeoulTrain wrote:
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place on the AUD website. What is the IEP?

Apparently, we're not on the same page. You're focused on a (professorship) position in the School of Arts/Sciences that entails having a PhD/EdD and teaching English as a content course to undergrad students. Whereas, VS and I responded from the perspective of an MA holder who specializes in teaching English as a Foreign Language to foundation-year students in an Intensive English Language Program (IEP). Apples-n-oranges. And since you asked your questions on an ESL/EFL forum...

Anyway, I doubt we're able to really answer your questions. However, you might check out job listings on higheredjobs.com; it's similar to the Chronicle in that there are postings for international higher ed opportunities. Be aware peak hiring for university jobs in this region is usually in early spring.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that there are many, if any, Middle East universities that have tenure track positions for foreigner expat professors. In fact, the tendency nowadays is to limit the number of contracts that educators can have...

VS
Wilsonthefarmer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Interesting that they can get western accreditation while maintaining Arab-style management.

Indeed scotty, not only the sheikhs of Emirates can buy Western accreditation, they can buy whole Western universities if they want to.
Iamherebecause

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: I-heard-it-from-a-friend Reply with quote

In terms of
Quote:
I-heard-it-from-a-friend
type information, I have a friend, PhD in History, who moved from a post in the Faculty of Humanities at UAEU to a similar post at the American University of Dubai. And left after one year. Unhappy with the educational environment.
Motorcycleman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: update on American University in Dubai Reply with quote

any updates on the American University in Dubai?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: