Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cities - the pros and cons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelley

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Cities - the pros and cons Reply with quote

After jumping all over the map for the past two months I have finally decided on Mexico as my destination to teach English. Now I have to decide on a city! I am super excited about this move as I have been looking forward to it for several years but have been waiting until my son (the love of my life!) finished school and was settled. Now I am free!!
I should have enough qualifications to find work in most cities (BA degree, TESL certificate and a little experience though a practicum and volunteer work). I want to be close enough to the coast that I could bus there on the weekend, if I choose. I am definitely a social being and would need that aspect of my life to continue but I am also 42 years old (female) so, although I am 'on the go', my nights in dance clubs are at a minimum!
In addition, I would like to make enough money to survive. I know I'm not banking any in Mexico but that it not the purpose of my journey.
I would REALLY appreciate any feedback on the city you are living in. Is it expensive in comparison to other Mexican cities? Are you safe in the evening? How hard is it to find an apt.? Are there many language schools? What do you like/dislike about where you are? Cheers! Shelley Smile
inmexico

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to e-mail me I can give you the "low-down" on the two cities I have spent the most time in - Queretaro and Uruapan. [email protected]
cancunense

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Write Me for Info about Cancun Reply with quote

Hi, Shelley. I have lived in Cancun for 3 years and have had my choice of where to work teaching English in private bilingual schools. The only problem is that the work is very demanding, there is a lot of jealousy and back-biting, and you will definitely have your share of problem kids. Cancun pays better than most places, but the cost of living is higher as well, so I guess it all evens out. Please write me privately if you are interested in finding out more details. Good luck! Very Happy

cancunense
shelley

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Guadalajara? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback! Anyone out there have any info on Guadalajara? Can I survive there on a teachers wage? How far to PV and, for that matter, is there work in PV? heers! Shelley Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: