Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pining for Saudi
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: stress addiction is a real thing Reply with quote

Getting High On Stress
Stress is a biological process that evolved to help us. Hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol get pumped through the body in dangerous situations. Daily life in the suburbs rarely requires fight-or-flight, but the same agents of reaction can be a boon for scoring a winning goal or delivering a flawless speech. They summon our strength and turn off nonessential functions to funnel resources to muscles and the brain.

Read more https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/19/stress-addiction_n_5689123.html

I got used to the adrenaline....and missed it after I left. Life in USA is much less stressful...secure, yet kind of boring compared to KSA.

Anyhow....don't feel bad if your job in Saudi doesn't stress you out. You can get your adrenaline pumping by other means...

Like driving in KSA
Rushing to get in the store before it closes (prayer call)
Standing in line (KSAers are notorious for cutting in line)
Trying to get anything done (Khali bukra)
Being in fear of losing your job at any moment (students love to lie and get you in trouble)

Basically there are different set of rules for you as foreigner so you never know what will happen. It is called the Magic Kingdom because the magic can take place at any time without rhyme or reason.

Very stressful....lots of adrenaline...Thank God I am out of there.
havinganicetime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been there for a few years but I'd find it interesting to return for a visit, especially now that it is loosening up culturally. I haven't forgotten the stress related issues, however. The worst was the renewal of iqamas and reentry visas. That was always unsettling and I wouldn't care to go through it again. I do miss the interesting mix of nationalities. There are some architectural and historical sites that are opening up now for tourism that I'd like to visit but given Saudi's visa regulations I doubt I'd be able to get back as a tourist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: