Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adult Teaching Jobs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Adult Teaching Jobs Reply with quote

Hi,

I am considering a jump from the Middle East to China and I would like to teach adults. I have heard that the big three adult schools are Wall Street, English First and Metien. Are there any other franchises that I should google?

I have thought about heading to one of these cities: Wuhan (birthplace of Chinese Rock), Nanjing (original capital of China), Suzhou (The Venice of China), Wuxi or Shanghai (come on, it's Shanghai).

If anyone has any stories about living in these areas or insights for the adult schools that I mentioned, please leave a comment.

For the record, I have am CELTA certified, Masters degree in Education and 14 years of ESL experience (10 in Korea and 4 in Saudi Arabia).

Thank you for reading this.
cormac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at New Oriental too, since they often have adult programs and corporate training.

I won't comment on where you want to go. Some research will tell you the obvious pros/cons about them. They're all well-discussed on Daves, and elsewhere.
teenoso

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the places you mention , except Wuhan, are in the Shanghai- Nanjing industrial /development corridor , so pretty similar in terms of living experience , I would think. Good transport , cold in the winter , very hot in the summer, lots of foreigners.
Wuhan is (was?) a very polluted mega-city and not somewhere I would consider, unless the job was perfect for you.
Look at Qingdao, Hangzhou , maybe Ningbo, three rich cities with some history, and not too remote.
Mixal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 3 don't really pay well. New Oriental usually pays better. However, I guess none of them will offer as much as Saudi Arabian employers.

Wuhan isn't nearly as polluted as it was before (or other cities have caught up, depending on the perspective Laughing). No idea about the rock scene there though.

All the other cities you mentioned are good choices, perhaps Wuxi would be the last one I'd consider. Suzhou is just a better version of it.

Why did you decide to come to China after so many years of experience? One would presume you could choose a more livable country.
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mixal,

I like Saudi Arabia and my current job pays well. However, I would like to go somewhere more lively. China has my interest due to their Chinese Basketball League where Stephon Marbury and other ex NBA'ers are now playing. I also heard that Wayne Gretzky is opening a hockey school to train Chinese players for the Olympics.

Also, I like the women.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: