Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where can we teach where it's safe to walk the streets?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
water rat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Where can we teach where it's safe to walk the streets? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me of a country we ESL teachers can live in where they don’t drive like the Chinese? I know that’s a tall order and many countries are just as bad or (I can hardly believe so) worse than China in this respect. I can vouch that Indonesia and Saudi Arabia are no better, and that even in Japan a driver will honk at a pedestrian on a narrow muddy road, as if the walker ought to step into the mud to let him pass. Nevertheless, I am asking in all seriousness. Is there a country where the drivers are not so totally oblivious to the people around them and even their own driving safety? I was thinking the Vietnamese are nice, intelligent folk, but I can guess that driving conditions are like the rest of Southeast Asia. I discount Singapore because there is no ESL work there. Please. I need to know.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yap Island! Just a few hundred cars here, seeing five on the road at the same time is "rush hour" & the general speed limit is 20 mph. The only beeps you hear are drivers saying hi.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexico!
The road surfaces are so bad that no one can ever get going faster than 40 KM an hour in an urban area but usually is much slower like 20KM per hour so walking if faster than driving and can usually walk between cars at peak traffic times with no risk to your person.
Razz
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Yap Island! Just a few hundred cars here, seeing five on the road at the same time is "rush hour" & the general speed limit is 20 mph. The only beeps you hear are drivers saying hi.

Yap Island, the mass market hotbed at the razor-sharp state-of the-art coalface of modern TEFL.
CTravel32

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Mexico!
The road surfaces are so bad that no one can ever get going faster than 40 KM an hour in an urban area but usually is much slower like 20KM per hour so walking if faster than driving and can usually walk between cars at peak traffic times with no risk to your person.
Razz

Um, no, that isn't true at all..

If you use common sense almost anywhere is safe to walk the streets, not sure I really get the question...
billbob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f you use common sense almost anywhere is safe to walk the streets, not sure I really get the question...[/quote]

Isn't that the truth? There were always some other natives in PL who kept on about having run-ins with cars as pedestrians. I was like, "duh, just learn to cross a road here." I must've worked it out within my first week.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only a tiny country, but, the drivers in Brunei are very courteous and definitely the best I've seen in Southeast Asia. A bit like the Irish (that may have changed, I haven't been back in Ireland in years). The Bruneians do tend to open a bit too much for my liking on the highways though....

Last edited by 1st Sgt Welsh on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerous traffic and drivers actually deadly. This is one more reason not to work in Saudi Arabia. The school placed us in an apartment complex just of a high speed highway. You had to cross the highway to get to a mini store. An Arab teacher's wife was killed by a car while walking going to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: