Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are the 2nd and 3rd tier cities taking off in Vietnam?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unheard Utterance

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Are the 2nd and 3rd tier cities taking off in Vietnam? Reply with quote

I have done a stint in Vietnam before, and I was thinking of returning.

However, I don't have much desire to live in HCMC or Hanoi again. I've visited Danang and kind of liked it, but I think the competition is quite high and most school are pretty average.

How are the other cities going in terms of development and need for English training? I met some guys in Nha Trang a while ago, but they were scraping by on less than $1000. No thanks.

I'm just putting some feelers out for what it's like in some other smaller, and hopefully, more livable cities than the "big two" in terms of livability or work available.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smaller and liveable cities in VET NAM pay less than the two major big cities. ...expect to earn around USD $ 800 a month. ...for 80 to 100 contact teaching hours a month. ...unfortunately the Grass is not Greener on the other side.....and competition for EFL teaching jobs is FIERCE! Shocked
Unheard Utterance

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
The smaller and liveable cities in VET NAM pay less than the two major big cities. ...expect to earn around USD $ 800 a month. ...for 80 to 100 contact teaching hours a month. ...unfortunately the Grass is not Greener on the other side.....and competition for EFL teaching jobs is FIERCE! Shocked

I don't get out of bed for less than $2500 net.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a growing economy and population, yes development and English schools are spreading throughout Vietnam. You can easily find job ads by searching on the internet. However, as noted above by The Educator, this isn't really translating into big bux for teachers. Most of the schools are small-scale, amateur and profit-driven and the market in smaller cities just doesn't really allow for high wages. They offer hourly rates so as with SGN and HN, teachers still need to "maximise" their hours and deal with fluctuating workloads.

Some places are more prosperous than other, for example Buôn Ma Thuột is the Coffee Capital and Vũng Tàu is the crude oil extraction center of Vietnam and also receives some revenue from domestic tourism. VUS just opened a small branch there.

In conclusion, for $2500 pm you either need to resign yourself to SGN or HN and shoot for a consistent 30 hrs/pw at $23/hr (or maybe try RMIT? or teach a lot of hours online, which you could do anywhere?) or simply get up for less. Basically, VN seems to work well for young teachers seeking adventure and old guys looking to take it easy.
Unheard Utterance

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
With a growing economy and population, yes development and English schools are spreading throughout Vietnam. You can easily find job ads by searching on the internet. However, as noted above by The Educator, this isn't really translating into big bux for teachers. Most of the schools are small-scale, amateur and profit-driven and the market in smaller cities just doesn't really allow for high wages. They offer hourly rates so as with SGN and HN, teachers still need to "maximise" their hours and deal with fluctuating workloads.

Some places are more prosperous than other, for example Buôn Ma Thuột is the Coffee Capital and Vũng Tàu is the crude oil extraction center of Vietnam and also receives some revenue from domestic tourism. VUS just opened a small branch there.

In conclusion, for $2500 pm you either need to resign yourself to SGN or HN and shoot for a consistent 30 hrs/pw at $23/hr (or maybe try RMIT? or teach a lot of hours online, which you could do anywhere?) or simply get up for less. Basically, VN seems to work well for young teachers seeking adventure and old guys looking to take it easy.

I'm not young nor old. I'm kind of in the middle and at an age where I need to maximise my savings potential. That probably means Saigon or Hanoi; two cities which are fun to visit, but not great to live in. I'm looking for that magic place in Asia, but I don't think it exists. You know what I mean: great students and management, lots to do outside of work, good pay, pleasant weather and friendly locals.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't think VN has changed much since the first time I came in 2004. The vast majority of people are still piecing together schedules at various schools, centers, private students, etc. and being paid hourly rates.

RMIT and various quasi-international schools (not fully accredited) seem to be only places that offer something close to full-time employment. There are several real international schools as well for those with the qualifications.

The big difference is that there is more and more work available in places other than HN and HCMC, which anyone can easily find by searching for teaching jobs in Vietnam. Most schools are happy to correspond, answer questions and set up interviews on Skype or upon your arrival. As far as I can see, demand is still pretty high with lots of NNS finding work. In addition, online teaching is becoming a popular, although not super great, option. In short, it's definitely possible to live at the beach in Vietnam. I'm gazing upon the ocean as I sit in my living room and type this.

Anyway, VN has got the pleasant weather (if you like tropical weather) and friendly locals (mostly, especially in the south) some stuff to do after work (not sure about lots) but the great students and management and good pay are more difficult to come by. The people I know who are making "a lot of" money are at teaching at RMIT or are very good at teaching kids and get loads of hours. Kids are the biggest market, followed by IELTS test prep.

By the way, have you looked into Myanmar? I know a couple guys there who are at least getting $2000+ salaries but obviously conditions are less than ideal.
Unheard Utterance

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to look for a magical BC position, but I'm a little bit worried as I'm a cis-gender male and in this age of "diversity", I'm not sure that's what they want. I didn't even get an interview when I last applied with them in Hanoi. RMIT offers a part-time contract with a possible upgrade to full-time after 12 months. In the meantime, you're scavenging for enough hours; oh the joy!

I've had a very cushy and well-paid job in a military context for two years now, and jumping back into the world of job interviews isn't a pleasant thought. I'd rather jump in the deep end rather than in the kiddie's shallow end. But, I'm not sure how many good jobs there are out there these days. It might be a case of sucking it up for a year and then trying to move up in some capacity. Hanoi again though......please no!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: