Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is a PhD or EDD worth pursuing after an MA TESOL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Lee321

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Is a PhD or EDD worth pursuing after an MA TESOL? Reply with quote

I already have an MA TESOL, which seems to be an internationally recognized terminal degree in the field. Although there doesn't appear to be any doctoral programs in TESOL, I can always apply for ones in a related area, such as Linguistics or English Education.

I am currently a certified teacher, employed in a US public school. Although I do enjoy the work I do, I eventually want to move up the ranks to teaching full-time in a postsecondary environment such as a community college or university IEP program.

Given how competitive the FT career market is at at the college level, would have a doctorate give me any significate advantage? Or would having some international teaching experience trump higher in the TESOL applicant pool over an added degree?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Lee321 wrote:
I eventually want to move up the ranks to teaching full-time in a postsecondary environment such as a community college or university IEP program.

Given how competitive the FT career market is at at the college level, would have a doctorate give me any significate advantage? Or would having some international teaching experience trump higher in the TESOL applicant pool over an added degree?

A doctorate is overkill for teaching ESOL. Most PhD/EdD holders teach in college or university teacher education degree programs.

That said, be very aware that US jobs teaching ESL to adults aren't plentiful; the supply of teachers outweighs the demand. (See the thread, Student slump? in this forum.) There's even competition for part-time work. Adjunct situations seem to be the norm, and there's no guarantee a part-time position would become full time with benefits. And having overseas experience won't give you an advantage.
RedLightning

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your MA and teaching license will land you a lecturer position, but you'll be stuck there with a minimal salary and no way to move up the university ladder (within a few years, you'll have colleagues doing the same job as you making twice+ as much).

Sure, your overseas experience suggests a more rounded teaching/pedagogical perspective and you'd be a nice trophy for the head of department to point at when speaking of faculty diversity (in this respect, your overseas experience may very well help you get your foot in the door more so than your MA alone), but again, you're going to be stuck.

If the endgame is working at a university, get the doctorate
Mr.Lee321

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The university doesn't have to be the endgame. I am totally content with community college employment.
So, which is the better option?

A. Teach overseas for one or two years, return back the States in seek of a lecturer position. Then, go back for a doctorate.
B. Start working on an educational doctorate Ed.D. while continuing to teach high school in the United States.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Lee321 wrote:
The university doesn't have to be the endgame. I am totally content with community college employment.
So, which is the better option?

A. Teach overseas for one or two years, return back the States in seek of a lecturer position. Then, go back for a doctorate.
B. Start working on an educational doctorate Ed.D. while continuing to teach high school in the United States.

Likely B. But it really depends on whether the supply and demand and trends in education fit your specific career goals. You'll have to do that research.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: